Home General Discussion

Iphone 4 Tard here.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
So hey everyone, figured maybe posting here for more of you technically inclined people can help me out.

So I got one of them shiney new iphone 4's today (baaaah adam,baaaaah)

But on my home pc I am still running xp 64bit os.*yeah yeah I know its old, but I dont have cash to do a pc upgrade at the moment*

So I try to download I tunes to sync my phone to my pc but lord and behold the damn thing tells me to DL the 64bit Itunes.

Im like "Ok sure"

I do that now...It tells me to stop sucking so hard and get either vista or windows 7

Unforanetly I cant stop with the suckage and I must stay with xp 64 bit....so is there any way around this at all that I can get it to work

Also a picture of the lemming I have become buying a iphone, Im a Itard Now.

lemming.jpg

Replies

• rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    you used to be able to install the 32bit itune on 64bit windows... it just gave you a popup telling you the 64bit version would be better. Can't you do that?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no when I tired the 32 bit it said to install the 64 but when I installed the 64 it told me to install 7 or vista.

did a google search on some Hax way to get it to work but I was hoping there was something simple :\

On the topic any good games/apps I should get for iphone?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    erm the 64 bit itunes is 32 bit itunes. its just fucking you
    you could try opening the exe as archive of some kind and extract them files or somehting
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    And if you try to install it on windows7 or vista it will probably tell you to install it on OSX and the circle would be complete :poly136:

ALso... first hit on google when I searched 'install itunes xp 64 bit': http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080208120540AAg1p0R

SOunds like youve got some fun times ahead of you haha :P
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I guess you have your reasons for not upgrading to Windows7, but if you can afford the iPhone, I would think you could afford the OS upgrade ;)

Anyway, did you try running it in compatibility mode?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a 64bit installer for itunes even tho like rube pointed out itunes is still 32bit.
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/iTunes_8_0_2_for_Windows_64_bit
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He said he already tried the 64bit version though :/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yea... reading comprehension running on low... before coffee...
    Looks like kwakkie and Sef both found a crazy long work around. I guess that's the price you pay for buying something that "just works".

I hope its everything that you were sold... If you ask me none of the smart phones are what they're cracked up to be.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    serves you right Iphone... tsk ..
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have you tried MediaMonkey?

great alternative to itunes.

and yeah, this is what you get for getting an iphone. blame noone but yourself.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to post a picture of lemmings falling off a cliff. But you guys get the idea

I'll try media monkey later tonight when im out of work :p

(Seriously a portion of you guys worked on iphone development, why all the hate to the phone now?)
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I know it sounds stupid but and not answering the question at hand but ... I would recommend trying out Spotify. Keeping your phone as a phone and an app box, and using Spotify as a replacement for iTunes on your PC. Its a service letting you stream any (legal) music you want, for free (in europe) or a small monthly fee (rest of the world). Im not looking back! And then whatever music it doesn't find, you just rip it to your drive and add it to it. Give it a try, you might like it!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I dont give a crap about all this "Imac" Tard stuff. I just want a way to upload my music to my phone. I can download apps and shit through the phone itself. If that works on the iphone 4 I'll Try it tonight , I just want my music on here!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh okay so in that case you can disregard the Spotify suggestion - I thought the main problem was that Itunes wasnt working on your computer.

Okay so another question would be : Do you want music on the go, or just in your house ? If its only for local use, you could get a very very cheap mini PC, use it as an iTunes box, and only use the Remote app (over your Wifi network) on the Iphone to trigger the music to your big speakers. Hope this helps ...
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    lol...just lol .....
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are several alternatives to using iTunes, but they don't allow you to get things through the itunes store, which is a major limitation when it comes to your apps and such. Also, the alternatives usually require you to connect to iTunes at least once, to create the initial database in your device. I'm speaking mainly from using iPods, and not the actual iPhone though. Honestly, that's why I recommend upgrading your OS... it'd be easier.

Oh, and developing on the iPhone may be why these guys have such venom towards Apple/iPhones ;) This recent antenna issue didn't help much either. And, iTunes has always been such a POS application.