Home General Discussion

Building a portfolio...

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
As an environment artist, is it acceptable to fill my portfolio with pieces I have made based on concept art from popular titles? I have been avoiding this for awhile, but I'd really like to do something along these lines.

Replies

• kurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i reckon it is... art is art.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Normally its best to ask permission from the concept artist before you post that work in your portfolio. It could be more complicated when its concept art from a game.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah. Knock yourself out. As long as you give credit. If it's a dude from the net ask him first to show you're a good guy. They are generally up for it, the people that aint... they're just asshats.

But yeah, I don't think any studio would whine about it.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Yea I would say if its publicly available concept art that gets released for a game then giv'er! the only downside to choosing something from a game people may know is you pretty much have to make it as good/ better than the final game piece to show you are up to par.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    what i like to do is redoing some retro game environments, buildings, etc. based on old screenshots
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Since its going to be just for your portfolio and not for production use. (stuff that has been used in shipped titles only that is)

There is no problem in re-doing what some artist has done already. Giving them a credit for it is a plus and highly appreciated.

Besides I assume you were going to make them and compare with the original artist's work before putting them in your portfolio.

Its one of the intermediate way of learning.

EDIT: It also depends on what you are creating, their original artists, gravity of its use, for example; no one would care if you create world of warcraft items, and characters over again, infact as far as I see it, it is welcomed, and incouraged by Activision-Blizzard, where as, if you remake something that has been made by a small group and the product is kind of new to the market, than it is inappropriate to copy it. Infact, it gives them the entire right to disapprove of it, and take action against you.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just remember if you put your recreation next to the actual piece (maybe a game screen shot next to your 3d piece) you are going to spot flaws and little things that may make the game screen shot come out on top.

I'm not saying that this always happens, but I would personally take some game concept art that maybe wasn't used in game.