Home Technical Talk

HDD trouble

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
I have an external HDD and its saying that its unreadable, now ive been using it a while now and recently plugged it into a different usb port, witch unknowingly to me has a connection problem and has been connecting a disconnecting my HDD and now its saying its unreadble/currupt and need to be reformated. Theres a lot of importent info on there, is there any way of getting any of it back?

Replies

• SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, if anything else fail, like trying it on another usb port/computer, the best bet is to get rid of the external case and plug the disc directly to your motherboard. I'm not 100% sure the serial ata interface (I assume the disc is recent) is the same for 3.5" and 2.5", but should be (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

If you are a techy guy, go get your screwdriver, otherwise ask someone with a little more experience as your data is precious and don't want to risk unneeded damage.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    well i would be able to do that but.... laptop...
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    So you don't have access to a motherboard connector, another computer and/or another external HDD case are needed to test your disc again.

I just browsed the net for some additional info and find out that even if the serial ata connector should be the same, 3.5 HDD are 12V powered, while 2.5 HDD are 5V powered. So, for anyone looking at this thread: NEVER attach a 2.5 HDD on a standard desktop PSU, even if the socket fits, it could be fried in an instant.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    From the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA)

"Unlike PATA, the same connectors are used on 3.5-inch SATA hard disks for desktop and server computers and 2.5-inch disks for portable or small computers; this allows 2.5-inch drives to be used in desktop computers with only a mounting bracket and no wiring adapter."

So if you have a sata 3.5 hdd and want to connect it to your laptop directly you can just plug the sata cable in directly, and power it using the connection from the external bay.