Home General Discussion

Could the industry be a happier place?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
d1ver polycounter lvl 14
Hi guys. Recently we've been having quite a bunch of nexgatve threads about the industry. I dont know if

qualifies as positive, but well... I've tried.

And once again I'm sorry if you percieve things differently or things were different with you. In no way do I mean any harm.

Replies

• Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    d1ver wrote: »
    Hi guys. Recently we've been having quite a bunch of nexgatve threads about the industry. I dont know if

qualifies as positive, but well... I've tried.

And once again I'm sorry if you percieve things differently or things were different with you. In no way do I mean any harm.

~ I hate nexgatve threads. Don't you?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, I do too. So I'm sorry that I didn't make it clearer that this is actually supposed to be a positive one. It's just that I don't want to label it too much. It's up to you to read and decide. It's just another opinion that hopefully will be of use to someone.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know... I think its a good thing for people to talk about the dark and scary side of the industry, that way people know they aren't alone and other people can prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised when they manage to ferret out some of the great places to work.

If you're coasting along with your head in the clouds it really sucks when you step in something unpleasant.
    If you do that once suddenly you're watching the ground for the next horrible thing to jump up and swallow your shoes.
    After a while you know where the unpleasant stuff is and how to deal with it, you can spend more uninterrupted time with your head stuck firmly in the clouds, and your feet deftly maneuvering around the obstacles all on their own.

Really when you put them on a scale, the good stuff far outweighs the bad, just no one ever talks about the great times, they're too busy living them. Media types must be a miserable lot, they only get to report on the negative, at least we get to step away and create.

It might also be helpful to go over the 10,000 hours theory when you're talking about becoming a better artist.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    As always Vig, you put it beautifuly, 100% agreed.
  • numo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    numo16 polycounter lvl 9
    Also have to agree with Vig...As someone who hopes to get into the industry at some point, it's good to know that it's not all rainbows and unicorns
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with most of that article, d1ver. When I was starting out I definitely found myself working longer hours than senior folk, not only to equal their speed and quality, but also to find ways where I could be useful to the team. It's good to fill needs and to become the person they turn to for tasks you excel at. It could lead to some pigeon-holing of your work, but it's safer than being unremarkable.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey! Thank you guys for actually spending your time and reading this stuff. I took my time to analyze it a bit more and came to think that due to it's flow it doesn't accenuate enough some points I’m trying to make. But because I’m too lazy I just added a short summary in the begging.=) The original paper left untouched explains and expands on these points:
    - Some places junior artists are considered expendable and cheap. They are worked till they are burned out and then replaced. In order for things to change the artist themselves need to accept the fact that they are doing their overtimes willingly, making it a common practice. Working more is not professional. If they want to keep videogames as their profession they all need to realize that the priority is to work less and do as much. Then replacing a person who works 8 hours for a less skilled person who works 12 hours and gives the same output is economically disadvantageous.

- Even if you managed to keep you job for long enough, don’t loose your grip and keep being proactive and problem solving. That’s your best defense against unemployment.

- If you pick something up not be your best at it, then you’ll ultimately fail. Because there would always be people who treat their profession more seriously.

- “If you can’t change the circumstances – change your attitude to them.”

I'm so lazy I even reused this text on my website=)
    And yeah I'm sorry I'm such a slowpoke with my replies. I've been a bit busy lately.