Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Abandoned Execution Chamber

Hey guys, im starting a new project here that i will update as much as possible. I know my skill set needs improvement so im hoping along this project i will learn many new tips techniques and things from the great poly count crew.

I decided to do an abandoned/destroyed old execution room based on concept by John Liberto.

Looking at the scene i see many opportunities to use zbrush which i really want to develop my skill as an environmental modeler down. I plan to take this to completion in unreal where i again want to learn more with Lightmass and Material Nodes.

My First Major Question, is for the layout would you typically do the floor in max and import or simply use bsp and texture? The walls i plan to zbrush as well as ceiling.

THANKS!

Update
Started working on texturing main window wall. Added some basic unreal texture to enviro cause i got tired of looking at bsp

ele.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    heh I was going to work on that awhile back good luck I may try my hand at it again some day, tis nice. Like to watch how this turns out.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    personally I don't think you'd need Z that much except for the big bullet holes in the walls and maybe on the broken glass

probably make simple models in max/maya and import into maya for further detail as you see fit
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    personally I don't think you'd need Z that much except for the big bullet holes in the walls and maybe on the broken glass

probably make simple models in max/maya and import into maya for further detail as you see fit

exactly, thats all i ment by it. Subtle details, i want to start small , and learn well.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    (edit) ha! i thought that concept drawing was an in game piece preview with some cool sketchy style.... i feel stupid now :P. This should be a great piece to work on though!
  • tyl3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, I have this in my Inspiration folder as well, was thinking of doing it as my next Environment as well. Lol any interest in collaboration? I look forward to seeing your progress!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    nick2730 wrote: »
    My First Major Question, is for the layout would you typically do the floor in max and import or simply use bsp and texture? The walls i plan to zbrush as well as ceiling.

THANKS!

I wouldn't worry about ZBrush just yet. I'd recommend attempting to approach this from a modular perspective - figure out how the walls and floor intersect with each other, how many columns and sections you'll need etc instead of modeling every element individually. Personally, I'd model and texture several floor panel sections instead of texturing BSP, but that's up to you.

There's some awesome reading to be found on modularity in the wiki:

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryEnvironment#Environment_Workflow_.26_Modularity

Get your scene units set up correctly before you do anything, else you'll end up creating a lot more work for yourself later on when it comes to snap everything together. Whether you use Max or the UDK, get your proportions and dimensions nailed down before worrying about detailing in ZBrush.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    I think I remember someone else doing this concept shot...oh well.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man if you do justice to this one I'll be happy. I really like this concept. Hope to see your progress soon.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about ZBrush just yet. I'd recommend attempting to approach this from a modular perspective - figure out how the walls and floor intersect with each other, how many columns and sections you'll need etc instead of modeling every element individually. Personally, I'd model and texture several floor panel sections instead of texturing BSP, but that's up to you.

There's some awesome reading to be found on modularity in the wiki:

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryEnvironment#Environment_Workflow_.26_Modularity

Get your scene units set up correctly before you do anything, else you'll end up creating a lot more work for yourself later on when it comes to snap everything together. Whether you use Max or the UDK, get your proportions and dimensions nailed down before worrying about detailing in ZBrush.

inded, thanks. Great links cant wait to check them out more.I did a test scene earlier, not this concept to make sure i understand how to use unreal units and set the grid is max right after googling what to set home grid and 9th spacing too. Its 8,16 if i remember right?

I also agree with modeling mesh's and bringing em in

Only major modular piece i see is the support pillars/ walls. What else what you do modular?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maze wrote: »
    man if you do justice to this one I'll be happy. I really like this concept. Hope to see your progress soon.

yea me too, luckily i hope you guys will be on the ball and dead honest like you usually are if something sucks and should be different :-)

Cant wait to start and get criticism. Im breaking teh scene down now at work and maknig an asset list
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Block out updated
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone have a recommendation on how to do the archways? Whole thing as 1 mesh or do the top arch's and the pillars seperate?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocked out some of the actual meshes now. I have 2 questions. Every time I import any mesh i get the "Generate Vertex count ratio exceed expected percent" googled it and got some ideas of how to fix it, throwing mapping coordinates on and such nothing worked.

Second, everytime I import an object the pivot point is way out of whack and off into space how do i fix that?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    anyone have a recommendation on how to do the archways? Whole thing as 1 mesh or do the top arch's and the pillars seperate?

I'd definitely model the arches separately from the pillars. The definition between the arches and the pillars is pretty well-defined in the concept - whether you make the arches one mesh or several is up to you.
    Every time I import any mesh i get the [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Nick/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

You can't link to an image locally, you have to upload it to somewhere like ImageShack or Dropbox. :) Not sure about the error, I don't recall seeing that one recently. Keep researching, or post a thread in the UDK subforum if it's giving you major headaches, if nobody answers you here.
    Second, everytime I import an object the pivot point is way out of whack and off into space how do i fix that?

Make sure your pivots are positioned correctly in Max or whatever you're using before exporting them to UDK, ideally the lower left or right corner of the mesh as per the info in the wiki to make snapping and rotating meshes easier in the editor. Even centering your pivot to the object can make precise snapping in the UDK a major drag.

If you're just testing meshes or textures in the UDK and can't be bothered to re-export stuff, you can right-click on the mesh and select one of the options from the Pivot rollover to temporarily relocate your pivot on the mesh, but this isn't recommended over properly positioning your pivots prior to export.
  • Baaaah!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baaaah! polycounter lvl 10

The pivot point on any model in Unreal is defined by the origin within whatever 3d software you are using. I'm trying to learn the UDK as well and I found this article pretty helpful.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/WorkflowAndModularity.html

Good luck with the environment, looks like an interesting project :)
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    The pivot point in unreal is where 0,0,0 is in your 3d app when you export. The pivot of the model in the 3d software has no bearing on it.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how this goes, good luck :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    If you working in maya, I can post my script that centers your object and pivot to 0,0,0. It doesnt have any other fancy features than that because been busy with work :(
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baaaah! wrote: »
    The pivot point on any model in Unreal is defined by the origin within whatever 3d software you are using. I'm trying to learn the UDK as well and I found this article pretty helpful.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/WorkflowAndModularity.html

Good luck with the environment, looks like an interesting project :)

excellent id been moving the pivot around not realizing it need to be at origin 0,0,0. Im saving everything same name so i can just reimport easy

Using 3dsmax btw
  • Baaaah!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    excellent id been moving the pivot around not realizing it need to be at origin 0,0,0. Im saving everything same name so i can just reimport easy

Using 3dsmax btw

I'm not sure if I've misunderstood what you mean, but, as far as I understand it, the position of the actual pivot within Max has no bearing, it's all to do with where the model is in relation to the 0,0,0 coordinates. Say for example you model a cube and move it 64 units along the X axis in 3DS Max, then export it to UDK. As far as the editor is concerned, when you place that model, it's pivot point will be 64 units in X away from the centre of the cube. So there's no need to move the pivot manipulator in Max.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if I've misunderstood what you mean, but, as far as I understand it, the position of the actual pivot within Max has no bearing, it's all to do with where the model is in relation to the 0,0,0 coordinates. Say for example you model a cube and move it 64 units along the X axis in 3DS Max, then export it to UDK. As far as the editor is concerned, when you place that model, it's pivot point will be 64 units in X away from the centre of the cube. So there's no need to move the pivot manipulator in Max.

what i ment was that i was moving the pivot point not realizing it has nothing to do with how unreal imports the pivot point. It has to do where the physical model is in relation to origin
  • ColinR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    Will be keeping a keen eye on this also.

I recently worked this piece myself, although it turned into more of a learning exercise in the end...and in a way I'm still not totally finished with it or happy so I'll be going back to add the finishing touches.

Best of luck, as it's a great concept (although starting to come across it often on peoples portfolios).
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR wrote: »
    Will be keeping a keen eye on this also.

I recently worked this piece myself, although it turned into more of a learning exercise in the end...and in a way I'm still not totally finished with it or happy so I'll be going back to add the finishing touches.

Best of luck, as it's a great concept (although starting to come across it often on peoples portfolios).

yea its mainly a learning experience for myself as well, that's why i choose it
  • ColinR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    I got linked from your other thread to this, and I've recently been having the same concerns with regards to keeping positive and all that.

I'll drop back in when you've got more done. The lighting is what makes this piece I feel and I never got to terms with it myself and how to get it looking right within UDK.

With regards to the modular pieces I created an arch with its correct shape and form, and then extruded downwards from two arch's connected together to form the pillar shape so it aligns correctly. Unwrap the pillar uniquely and give some variation to each side so you can then rotate and repeat 3-4 of them without looking like they're all the same.

Best of luck with it Nick.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR wrote: »
    I got linked from your other thread to this, and I've recently been having the same concerns with regards to keeping positive and all that.

I'll drop back in when you've got more done. The lighting is what makes this piece I feel and I never got to terms with it myself and how to get it looking right within UDK.

With regards to the modular pieces I created an arch with its correct shape and form, and then extruded downwards from two arch's connected together to form the pillar shape so it aligns correctly. Unwrap the pillar uniquely and give some variation to each side so you can then rotate and repeat 3-4 of them without looking like they're all the same.

Best of luck with it Nick.

I agree about the lighting, ive read a shitton about the new GI engine and lightmass. Hope i can do something with it :-)

Thanks as well
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, ive finished the main window mesh low poly. Its very straight forward, now from here should i make some edge loops and bring into zbrush to damage over a little bit or am i wasting my time when i could simply texture it?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One additional question involving teh wall. I want to make the glass apart of the object, when imported into unreal, how would i be able to assign a unique shader to just the glass if it is apart of the entire wall's object?
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    material IDs with a valid bitmap assigned to each ID in the multi/sub material before export. that way you get several material slots on a mesh in the unreal editor.

assuming you are using max here, for maya it might be slightly different.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi wrote: »
    material IDs with a valid bitmap assigned to each ID in the multi/sub material before export. that way you get several material slots on a mesh in the unreal editor.

assuming you are using max here, for maya it might be slightly different.

I am using max. So i can have a unique unwrap for same object just on different channels? I get concept know of any good tuts on it
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    there's a difference between using multiple materials on a model and using different unwraps.

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3modeling1.htm

there's info in there on the multiple material thingie.

to use different UV channels you just have to use a texture coordinate node and change the index. note that unreal starts counting the channels at 0 while max starts at 1. so the default uv channel in max is uv channel 1 and in udk it's index 0.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got it to work yay
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok ive hit a snag i need help with. Should i ask questions in here? Or start a thread in tech talk when i have them?

Question im modeling the archway as you can see i made 2 meshs. Archway is simple, and the pillars so i can take those out separate to zbrush and destroy. Now how do i subdivide teh arch way to get it to divide properly in zbrush. I tried in red in the pic with no luck, excuse my mspaint skills lol

arc.png
  • Baaaah!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To get the best division in zBrush it's best to have the model made up of all quads, as evenly distributed as possible - or at least have the most polys in areas where you want to put the most detail. The reason it might not be dividing very well in zBrush, is that currently you have quite a few triangles making up part of the arch model.

With the column as well, you might want to consider adding divisions vertically as this will provide you with a much more even distribution of points when you subdivide. Hope that helps a bit.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    put the arch in zbrush, remesh all, divide a couple of times, project all - bingo sculpting ready mesh, retopo for more clean sculpting after if you need to.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, quite frankly I would redo that arc shape rather than fixing it, it might take less time as it is a simple shape yet. Make sure you have quads, and enough loops well distributed horizontally/vertically. Once in ZB add the detail you need. I will suggest then decimate your new model, export it and retopologize the new shape in topogun or similar package, create uvs in the new low mesh, bake, etc!!!
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maze wrote: »
    Yeah, quite frankly I would redo that arc shape rather than fixing it, it might take less time as it is a simple shape yet. Make sure you have quads, and enough loops well distributed horizontally/vertically. Once in ZB add the detail you need. I will suggest then decimate your new model, export it and retopologize the new shape in topogun or similar package, create uvs in the new low mesh, bake, etc!!!
    got it thanks guys, i figured that was problem. Just making sure i wasnt being stupid.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To get the best division in zBrush it's best to have the model made up of all quads, as evenly distributed as possible - or at least have the most polys in areas where you want to put the most detail. The reason it might not be dividing very well in zBrush, is that currently you have quite a few triangles making up part of the arch model.

With the column as well, you might want to consider adding divisions vertically as this will provide you with a much more even distribution of points when you subdivide. Hope that helps a bit.

So basically i need to connect the equal point on both side up and over the top of the mesh.

I have max 10 but stick to 2009 due to comfort. I need to learn the new graphite modeling tools. Can any tool slice/connect up and over like that. Quickslice i think?

Also can anyone link me to a pic of an arch's wireframe. Id like to see how someone else did it correctly
  • doomc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That concept art reminds me "The Cradle" level in Thief: Deadly Shadows
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i never got around to playing any of them, ill ahve to google it see what i get
  • Baaaah!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So basically i need to connect the equal point on both side up and over the top of the mesh.

I have max 10 but stick to 2009 due to comfort. I need to learn the new graphite modeling tools. Can any tool slice/connect up and over like that. Quickslice i think?

Also can anyone link me to a pic of an arch's wireframe. Id like to see how someone else did it correctly

Maybe something like this? I just dragged out the edges using shift from the curved part of the geom.

grab_01.jpg
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe something like this? I just dragged out the edges using shift from the curved part of the geom.

grab_01.jpg

excellent, visual reference it much easier. Simple box i see
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok got arch into zbrush after reworking the mesh. Sub divided awesome. My question is now if you look at the concept art the arch have a little groove along them, does zbrush have a tool where it can arc or something so its even? Im still learning zbrush have mercy :-) The damage part i can do
    ZbrushHelp.png
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update, finally had some time. Had a full time job for a while doing graphic design got laid off mmm so now i got alot of time and will finish this. Got the environment pretty well done, very basic lighting and materials so far in unreal editor so far. About to start on the back wall then start populating the area. Still need to texture roof so its decay matches the window wall and arch pillars
    Untitled-4.jpg