Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Assassin Creed Fanart Rome

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wizo polycounter lvl 17
Hey,

I wanted to share some conceptart homework I've been working on the last few days..

my assignement was to take the Assassin franchise and make a different version of the assassin, as if it was in a different time/place : Rome.

my constraints were to keep : hood, red cloth and eagle/bird reference

I will definately give it another pass to finish it up and post some progress shots if you are interested.

looking forward to some c&c, I hope you like

Cheers

assassin.jpg

Replies

• wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    This is fantastic. I honestly can't give any crit because i'm not a concept artist, but this is honestly exactly like something i'd see ubisoft do.

I always judge good concept art on if i have the urge to model what i see, and i gotta say im pretty compelled.

damn good job mate.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    That looks great! Very well done. Only thing that I'm having a hard time... accepting is how he is all big and bulky. He looks like a roman legionnaire or perhaps a well-fed gladiator. You'd think of an assassin as a more slender, athletic kind of guy.

Nonetheless, great job!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    -wester: Hey thx!!!I hope Ubi does give me the chance to do something this fun : ) very happy to hear that it inspired you, that is what kind of impact I was looking for.

-Prophecies: Hahha its kinda like assassin's creed meet darksiders, I definately agree on the bulky looks, it does look a bit off, I ll try and mess around to see how better it looks if it the character is more firm, thanks for the advice!
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still waiting to see green leaves popping out of his hood like a caesar :P (I fail at research, can't find out what it's called)

noreally though, all I had to say was what prophecies said. If you wanted to give it a darksiders-esque feel to it, I'd suggest shrinking his head slightly, widening his shoulders and beefing them up a bit, and make the overall texture appearance a bit less noisy and more hard-edged

I really like what you've done here though, very inspirational and very cleanly done. if I had one critique to give, however, it would just be that if you look at his upper body, it's clearly assassins creed meets rome....if you look at his lower body though, all I see is Roman Soldier...I really feel like something needs to be done to his lower torso to bring his concept full circle; even if it's just something as simple as giving him the rest of his white robe down his back to his ankles

Oh, and I get a hardon for sweet looking gauntlets/boots (especially when they are huge), and those gauntlets totally pass my hardon approval :P

really no idea how accurately roman this is, but maybe you could give him some sort of flowing cloth-like pants to get the robe affect like seen here
    639248409_39af233438_o.jpg

I realize this would cover up his sandals though, unless you either A)gave him shorts, lol kinda funny to think about, or B) put the sandals ontop of the pants
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    great work, wizo! redesigning is always a challenge, and you did well.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    [SF]Three9 : yeah right now it look kinda like darksiders huge characters, I need to bring him back more to the skillful/agile musculature that Prophecies brought up, and makes more sense for a leaping assassin.

But that ref has plenty of good stuff in there that I might use, I am getting what you mean with the lower half, I'll see what I can do about that. Thanks!!

Conte :Thanks! yeah espcially with well known characters! I am not used to making so many revisions but I guess I need to get used to this, to get a taste at what a concept artist'S day is like.

Im off for the weekend Ill keep you guys update early next week.

Keep the comments coming, its already very useful!
  • SamFisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamFisher polycounter lvl 7
    I like it, good work ...:thumbup:
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    painting is nice, but the design feels a bit mashed together. The bottom half doesn't match the top half - almost like you swapped it with a different character. Maybe the hood is attached to a cape or cloak and not the vest. Perhaps if the skirt was white it might help bring some cohesion - it's a tough call. Gladiatorial armor wasn't big on hoods and layering of cloth, which is what Assassins Creed costumes are all about.

However, I love what you did with the belt and the gloves/vambraces. those melded together very well.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I like the concept. Two things, though:

1 - his right shoulder and arm (one closest to the viewer) seems a little off. The foreshortening or perspective is off just enough that it seems a little scrunched up or short.

2 - If I'm remembering right, the lorica segmenta armor (even the part of it you're depicting) was restricted to the Legion by Roman law, so this guy would have the town watch chasing after him as soon as he stepped outside. I might be wrong about that, but it's worth looking into if you want to make sure it's historically accurate.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I believe the strips from the waist were designed to make as much noise as possible, so that a marching army would create a terrifying sound of ringing metal. That hardly seems like a good idea for an assassin...

Take that for what it's worth though, Roman clothing was so phenomenally boring that it doesn't really leave you a lot of good possibilities.
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As was said before, the lower body is far too military.

Stay away from using too much red, as togas with large red areas / stripes were worn by senators. Instead, give him thin red stripes along the edges, suggesting he was an Equestrian. This also allows you to keep the Assassin's Creed colour palette.

Finally, replacing the white vest with a brown vest of leather armor gives him the edge of an assassin without going completely military.

Here is a crude paint-over to summarize my suggestions:

15301tu.jpg
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    A skirt is bad if you want to go climbing and free-running. Especially a long skirt like that. Altair in the original AC has robes with lots of slits in them, so he can move his legs individually without hindrance from the clothing. A long skirt like in the above image would inhibit leg movement and free-running. I suggest slits.
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion wrote: »
    A skirt is bad if you want to go climbing and free-running. Especially a long skirt like that. Altair in the original AC has robes with lots of slits in them, so he can move his legs individually without hindrance from the clothing. A long skirt like in the above image would inhibit leg movement and free-running. I suggest slits.

Good idea. :)
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    This is a tough cookie.
    I generally agree with StealthSilver amd zenarion.
    But if you put slits in it, it wouldn´t be a toga anymore.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which is exactly why I really like the leathery strap armor. I don't know what it's called, but it is definitely very Romanesque. I really like it. What bothers me is the hood. The way it is attached in the front makes it look like it's too tight and uncomfortable. It should be nice and loose.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    wow, lots of ideas storming here!
    thanks everyone for pitching ideas and directions, hopefully the concept looks and works better : )

lot of good crits about the hood, color and specially the design of the lower half that wasnt very appealing.

And thanks for the paintover StealthSilver! I didnt like the skirt either but the white color all across really made the character more believable.

AssVers2-1.jpg

let me know what you guys think!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    his head is way too big. I'd thin up the belt a bit. I couldn't imagine trying to run with that on.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That left arm is still bugging me. Still looks scrunched up.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah his arm is fine IMO, its just hidden behind him which is fine. I agree with the head being too big however. But apart from that, it looks great. I liked the brown contrast of the skirt he had before though. And the cloth going accross his chest, it looked better when it was red. Just IMO though. To be honest, (all this is just my personal opinion though), I really liked his leather straps he had in the first concept. But I like how he is more athletic now. That is an excellent improvement.

Just reduce the size of his head and it will look much, much better :)

Keep up the good work!:D
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ffff huge improvement :D I really love how this is developing (you better go from start to finish and model and texture this guy out, otherwise I'm going to be quite upset >:( )

I agree with ZacD about the head, and Prophecies about the upper part of the robe strap being red...i think it would help flow the design and it would make sense with that lower section being red too; almost like they connect. I disgree with the idea of the skirt being brown, as I really feel the whole overal aspect of the character is really starting to scream Roman and Assassin....however, with the revisions that have been made, I really feel like that middle belt section is going to really limit his movement. I can already feel the belt jabbing into my stomach just below my rib cage if i were to wear it and bend over....for display, it looks great, but i don't think it's really a smart implemenation design.

The only thing left I have to say is I really feel like he's missing something, and that's some sort of robe or cloth going down to his ankles...maybe with this being a Roman piece that wouldn't make sense, but my eyes are wanting to see it. This is more of a personal opinion and probably a biased impression I feel I should be getting though

two thumbs up again wizo, really great stuff
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I think I can call it done. I've learned tons thanks again for the crits ! It surely can be better, but I can wait to start something else

ZacD : Done and done!

GarageBay9: should be better now : )

Prophecies : I've tried putting back the red, but I guess for this type of elite assassin, I'll go for all in white. I did change the size of the head tho, I hope it looks better. Thanks!

[SF]Three9: LOL, well im planning on modeling something very soon, but its not this concept .. sry : ) I did tweak the belt so that its less of a hassle to carry I think you guys hit the nail on the head.

update :

Assa2-1.jpg

also (full res)

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/wizo5454/Assa2-2.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Im with Zac on thinning the belt up. Reminds me of the WWF belts haha...
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the belt actually seems period to me. the metal bits you have seem to late to me, maybe find more roman refs for the shoulder armor and gauntlets
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I was a big fan of the larger belt. felt very appropriate.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, arm looks good now. : )

I like the compromise with the leather fringes on the loincloth and the split half-toga. Looks very period and yet very functional for this character.
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still recommend that you make the vest brown leather.
  • Vguhal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vguhal polycounter lvl 9
    I still recommend that you make the vest brown leather.

agreed.
  • Fireflights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fireflights polycounter lvl 8
    I still think that the head is too big, and that the upper arms are much too short. There are a few additional proportional adjustments that I'd make...but I figured it's better to show you than try to describe it. :)

Here's a quick 'n' dirty paintover, with your latest version below:

AltairPaintover.jpgAssa2-1.jpg

I made the head a little smaller, and changed the shadows on his face just a tiny bit...the dark splotch on the corner of his mouth made his lips look a little concave, and the hood's shadow near the bridge of his nose made his nose look a lot larger than it's supposed to be. I brought that shadow in a bit, up against the highlight.

I made the upper arms longer, his left (our right) forearm a bit longer too, wrapped the leather straps around the shape of his forearm a little better...made his left foot a bit bigger, brought in the fabric/belt on his waist a bit to give his torso more shape, and made the tiniest adjustment to the slit in his skirt so he wouldn't be flashin' his unmentionables all over town.

There are still a couple of things I'd tweak (I'm a perfectionist :P)...like moving his left calf/knee up a little bit, as it seems much too low right now...but I tried to work with what I thought was most obvious. Hope it helps some :)
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    keep them all, they will be a great concept sheet :) looks great!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    So i was wondering if i could model this guy? I'm going to start up on my character portfolio soon and i'd really like to start out with him.

could i get your email or something so i can ask some questions about the concept and stuff.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh Brotherhood. How I wait for thy arrival T_T.

Anyways, I liked the larger belt, and you've seemed to lighten up the colour of the left hand glove from the original picture. Doesn't look good to me.

And remember to make the hood "tip" more profound, not dropping. It's suppose to be an eagle beak D: