Home Technical Talk

Issues converting Maya to Source...

Heya folks... I've been working with Maya for a while now, but this is my first time trying to compile a model for the Source engine... Specifically, I'm trying to create an item with jigglebones for TF2. The issue I'm having is that when I use Prall's exporter to compile, it gives me a .qc, a _phy.smd, and an _idle.smd, but nothing else (expecting a 'modelname.smd' as well, it doesn't show up).

Anyhow, if there's anyone out there who can help me troubleshoot the exporting issues, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any helpful tips about using jigglebones, I'd be glad to hear those, too.

Replies

• Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I tried some work-arounds, and now I'm at a point where I'm supposed to load the .qc file into GUIStudioMDL 1.0 and compile it, and it tells me 'Sanity check failed! Reason: Could not find the QC file."

Anyone familiar with that lovely error? Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so you're pointing GUIStudioMDL to the .qc file and you get that error? It probably doesn't like the way the .qc file is written or you might be trying to compile the model for the wrong version of source.

Can you post your .qc file?
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    so you're pointing GUIStudioMDL to the .qc file and you get that error? It probably doesn't like the way the .qc file is written or you might be trying to compile the model for the wrong version of source.

Can you post your .qc file?

That's all very possible... I'm also worried that I might be using the wrong version of GUIStudioMDL, since I was forced to download it from a different site than the tutorial mentioned. See, I'm kind of blindly following the tutorial since I've never tried to do anything like this before, so I'm aware that nearly anything could go wrong. Anyhow, here's the code from the .qc file:

$modelname "pocket_medic/pocket_medic4export.mdl"

$scale 1
    $surfaceprop "carpet"
    $keyvalues { "prop_data" { "base" "Cloth.Small" } }
    $body "Body" "pocket_medic4export"
    $sequence idle "pocket_medic4export_idle" loop fps 1
    $collisionmodel "pocket_medic4export_phy.smd"
    {
    $mass 1
    $concave
    }
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo.... Did that give you any insight, Vig? Or maybe the problem lies somewhere else?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Opps sorry this dropped off my radar.

I'm using the version of GUIStudioMDL from here: http://www.wunderboy.org/apps/guistudiomdl2.php
    If that's what you're using can you post the text it spews out when you compile?

I see some problems with your QC file.

$modelname "pocket_medic/pocket_medic4export.mdl" //Remove these two things and put your smd's in the tf2/model_src folder.

$scale 1
    $surfaceprop "carpet" //I'm not sure this is an actual surface property, these are hard coded, try it with "metal" or comment out the line to test.
    //$keyvalues { "prop_data" { "base" "Cloth.Small" } } //Try it without this line
    $body "Body" "pocket_medic4export.smd" //Missing the .smd on the file name, could be important.
    $sequence idle "pocket_medic4export_idle" loop fps 30 //remove loop and set fps to 30
    //$collisionmodel "pocket_medic4export_phy.smd" //comment out this section, until you can get it to compile without it.
    //{
    //$mass 1
    //$concave
    //}

• Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right man, I'll give those changes a try as soon as I can access my Maya machine again (busy with some renders right now), but the whole 'carpet' thing was from a list that was included in the HL2 export plug-in, so hopefully it should be legit... I only chose it because it was a cloth object, and carpet was the closest match on the list. In any case, I'll try it your way and let you know what the results are soon, likely sometime tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice!
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for taking so long to reply... RL can be a harsh and unforgiving mistress. :-)

Anyhow, it turns out that I was, in fact, using the wrong version of GUIStudioMDL (I was using 1.0, I should have been using 2.2). I tried the changes you suggested and it seems to be compiling properly now... except that when I try to use the Model Viewer to view it, it says 'Error Loading Model'. I'll post the output from GUIStudioMDL, in case that helps. Thanks for all of your help regarding the .qc file, by the way. :-)

Getting models into Source certainly is a chore... It would be nice if they could streamline the process a bit.

Anyhow, GUIStudioMdl output:
    GUIStudioMDL 2.2/Source - © 2007 Neil 'Jed' Jedrzejewski - [URL]http://www.wunderboy.org/[/URL]

Loaded QC file - "C:\Steam\SteamApps\thrillho007\sourcesdk_content\tf\modelsrc\pocket_medic4export.qc"

Created command line: C:\Steam\SteamApps\thrillho007\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\studiomdl.exe -game "c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\team fortress 2\tf" -nop4 -nox360 C:\Steam\SteamApps\thrillho007\sourcesdk_content\tf\modelsrc\pocket_medic4export.qc

all paths:c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\team fortress 2\tf\;c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\tf\;c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\hl2\;c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\sourcesdk\bin\hl2\
    qdir:    "c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\sourcesdk_content\tf\modelsrc\"
    gamedir: "c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\team fortress 2\tf\"
    g_path:  "C:\Steam\SteamApps\thrillho007\sourcesdk_content\tf\modelsrc\pocket_medic4export.qc"
    Building binary model files...
    Working on "pocket_medic4export.qc"
    SMD MODEL pocket_medic4export.smd
    SMD MODEL pocket_medic4export_idle.smd
    ---------------------
    writing c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\team fortress 2\tf\models/pocket_medic.mdl:
    bones          676 bytes (0)
    animations     112 bytes (1 anims) (2 frames) [0:00]
    sequences      216 bytes (1 seq) 
    ik/pose        164 bytes
    eyeballs         0 bytes (0 eyeballs)
    flexes           0 bytes (0 flexes)
    textures         4 bytes
    keyvalues        0 bytes
    bone transforms        0 bytes
    collision        0 bytes
    total         1216
    ---------------------
    writing c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\team fortress 2\tf\models/pocket_medic.vvd:
    vertices         0 bytes (0 vertices)
    tangents         0 bytes (0 vertices)
    total           64 bytes
    ---------------------
    Generating optimized mesh "c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\team fortress 2\tf\models/pocket_medic.sw.vtx":
    body parts:         8 bytes
    models:            20 bytes
    model LODs:        12 bytes
    meshes:             0 bytes
    strip groups:       0 bytes
    strips:             0 bytes
    verts:              0 bytes
    indices:            0 bytes
    bone changes:       8 bytes
    everything:        72 bytes
    ---------------------
    Generating optimized mesh "c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\team fortress 2\tf\models/pocket_medic.dx80.vtx":
    ---------------------
    Generating optimized mesh "c:\steam\steamapps\thrillho007\team fortress 2\tf\models/pocket_medic.dx90.vtx":

Completed "pocket_medic4export.qc"

• Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update...

Ok, so after failing to load the model in Model Viewer, I thought I'd try to see if I could view it in-game anyway... So, after editing the item_game file, I opened up TF2 and tried to view the item in a new server. TF2 promptly crashed and gave me the approximate following message: Wearable item: backwards min/max

Anyone know what this means?
  • pmstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrillho wrote: »
    Update...

Ok, so after failing to load the model in Model Viewer, I thought I'd try to see if I could view it in-game anyway... So, after editing the item_game file, I opened up TF2 and tried to view the item in a new server. TF2 promptly crashed and gave me the approximate following message: Wearable item: backwards min/max

Anyone know what this means?

Im getting the same error and cant find any answers