Home Technical Talk

texture wrap , texture atlas , unity , 3dsmax

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a nice workflow to create levels for my unity project

I would love to create the level (one of several) in max and export it as one object into unity with one big texture atlas for each level.

Now I'm wondering how I can manage the tiling textures

Without any further knowledge I would build little mesh-peaces which are correctly UVd and build the level like with lego stones

That could work quite well but I'm wondering if there is a way to wrap the textures around even when working with a texture atlas. And if this is possible to display in max AND works in unity

Would that be useful in any way or should I stick to the floor-peaces I snap together?

edit: idea behind the whole thing is to reduce polys per floor (but maybe that's not too clever with vertex lights but maybe lightmaps would be better so I'm just curious)

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could probably do it pretty messily with a shader?

Set it up so that any UV coord over each increment of [UV space divided by number of tiles] gets reset to [0 + remainder]. Then add a default row/column value to pick a certain area of the texture atlas to repeat.

I think your best option is probably going to be building it out of little pre-UVed blocks.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hi talon, yes I guess it's not worth the effort even if it is not clear it would make things better. Was just wondering if there is a fast trick I never heard about to give the idea a try.

cheers!
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah you could do some shader trick, but in most cases it would probably be more expensive then using multiple materials. Depending on the level size using pre-uved tiles might work, but would lead to way more triangles then are needed (although that could be a good thing if you are using 100% vertex lighting). Are the target specs really low end? Also remember that unity 3 is just a month or so away and included builtin lightmapping.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    the level will be quite small and so I'm not benefiting form the dynamic poly reduction of unity terrains

btw.. I'm waiting for your shader fusion thing.. desperately :)
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Also with unity3's new renderer non-shadow casting per pixel lights are very cheap, vertex lights are probably going to be useless unless your working with a very low end target.