Home Technical Talk

xnormal/bake probs

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
SnowInChina interpolator
hi there

right to the problem :

i was trying to bake my normal and ran into some troubles.
here´s what it looks like

probg.jpg

1. highpoly with supportedges
2. "lowpoly" (not really the low poly, more the base i was going to reduce)
3. normal bake with xnormal, standard settings (i didnt bother to post all the 200000 failbakes i made )
4. normal bake with blender

so, at first this was purely a test how the edges would show on the "low" poly
but now iam stuck with this since 2 days and i cant figure out how to fix it
the blender bake doesnt look too shabby and i could propably fix it in photoshop more or less, but the xnormal bake doesnt work at all, there are no soft edges, it looks like the normal low poly version without any maps applied

i tried inverting red/green, switched channels in xnormal, tryd different setting and nothing works

if someone knows how to solve this i would be thankful

Replies

• metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    The faces look faceted, so it prob. down to your vertex normal settings.
    Make sure the LP shading is set to smooth in Blender and when you export the .obj export with Normals and HQ checked.
    You could also set the LP normals to "average normals" in xNormal too.

Hope the helps!
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    nope, still same results

dont know, iam going to rebuild this tomorrow and trash everything i have so far
    maybe i will up the meshes tomorrow too if it still wont work
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    It looks like all your normals are hardened. Make sure that your normals are exported properly from your 3d program for both the low and high poly, (max and maya have 'export normals' as a checkbox in the export dialog), and that you have checked the proper box in xNormal to use the normals contained in the obj.

Also, view the final result using the xNormal viewer instead of in Blender. xNormal calculates the normal map for realtime engines, and blender may not use the same calculation, so results may vary. That won't be what is causing the faceted issue in this case, but viewing it in xNormal will eliminate blender's viewport calculation as a variable and help you narrow down the problem.

Also, you will get the best results for this type of mesh by creating a cage in the xNormal viewer and baking using the cage. You can also use the xNormal viewer to view both the low and high poly meshes to make sure the meshes look good before you bake.

There are instructions on the xNormal site on how to use cages and the viewport if you are unsure.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    ok, now i tried the xnormal 3d viewer
    here´s the results

sadpanda.jpg

right now iam biting my tongue
    it´s looking fine, not too well, but that wasnt the intention
    thanks predator, i didnt even think about using the xnormal viewer
    edit : for clarification. it still looks like shit in blender, this screen is from xnormal 3d viewer
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    To get the xNormal baked map to look correct in Blender you would have to flip the red and green channels as it uses X- Y- Z+ IIRC.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    To get the xNormal baked map to look correct in Blender you would have to flip the red and green channels as it uses X- Y- Z+ IIRC.

Either that, or set up xNormal correctly, to work correctly with your shader / engine.