Home Unreal Engine

UDK - tagging system

Ryno
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ryno polycounter lvl 18
I've got an odd little issue I'm trying to figure out. When I try to tag a new asset (static mesh), the tag won't stick. This is true for both existing/default tags, and new ones that I am creating. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Hmmmm. Never dealt with tagging before. Maybe try looking at the user interface tutorial video here: http://www.udk.com/documentation
    I remember it going over this process. Maybe it'll point out something you're not doing right?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    K, I'm going to answer this myself in case anyone else needs to know. This question of tagging came up when working in a team environment where I was unable to tag other artists' assets. Here's what I can tell from my bit of detective work:

If you are working by yourself, tagging works fine. As you create something, a note is made in the GameAssetDatabase journal that the object exists. (Found locally here: C \UDK\UDK-2010-05\UDKGame\Content) Next, if you create a custom tag, a note will be made in the journal that the tag has been created. Once this is done, then you can apply the tag to the object (or use an existing tag), and a third note is made, stating this tag is applied to this object. So, you need those three things in the journal for new objects,

1. object exists in package and may be tagged
    2. Tag type exists/is created
    3. Tag is applied to object.

If you're flying solo at home on a personal project, this is fine and dandy. Just don't erase that journal data. Anything you create, tags you create, and application of tags will be noted in your journal and everything should work fine. But for a little guerilla production team, there's an issue. If someone else creates a new object, it is noted in their journal (with a changelist number), but this will not be noted in a teammate's journal. So basically, unreal's tagging system doesn't know that the object exists and can be tagged. (#1 above).

Now, you can hack your journal file to add the object #1, and then you should be able to tag it #3. Ditto for creating new tags #2. Now this is all a bit pain-in-assey to be honest.

So why does unreal use this seemingly temporary GameAssetDatabase file to note all of this stuff down? Because it is supposed to be temporary. Basically Epic designed the tagging system to be used by professionals. It assumes that you'll be connected to a master database on a SQL server, in which all artists' journal files are evaluated for changes, and which you are constantly connected to. Local artists' editors ping the master database server to submit and look for updates in available tags, assets that exist to be tagged, etc.

More specific techy info here: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ContentBrowserDatabase.html
  • Thor Sowards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that post Ryno that pretty useful to know :)