Home General Discussion

BP - Creators of the next apocalypse.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
Here is an interesting, thought provocative and bothersome article about how BP's little screw up in the gulf cost may trigger a premature apocalypse.

http://www.helium.com/items/1882339-doomsday-how-bp-gulf-disaster-may-have-triggered-a-world-killing-event
The bottom line: BP’s Deepwater Horizon drilling operation may have triggered an irreversible, cascading geological Apocalypse that will culminate with the first mass extinction of life on Earth in many millions of years.

Cause for concern?

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    2012, end of the world! dun tun tun!

it's' time for the aliens to come and save us then!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Mass extinctions, no. Big tsunami, possibly.

More likely nothing will change. Oil will just keep spewing and the Gulf will keep dying.
  • rooster
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    maybe we just need to put some Tums and Rolaids down there?
    that usually works for me.
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rooster says it all. It's just bad because its near America. BP going to get sued so badly being near America, but when american companies mess up they don't pay a penny.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Humans fucked up a long time ago. We're pretty long due for an ass whooping.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I say we use them nukes on that bubble and kick its ass back to the stone age.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got just the men for the job.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    peh, gulf oil spill is nothing. nature's had worse. chernobyl in 1985, there's no humans living there. however, wildlife has flourished in chernobyl, because nobody dares to enter the area. the wild boar population has skyrocketed, and its now the most numerous in all of europe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4843316.stm
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And they're nuclear. So don't fuck with them.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I'm pretty sure there are mutants and anomalies and stuff over there now. Or maybe that was S.T.A.L.K.E.R...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, the oil spill can be cleaned up by nature. Afterall, oil IS part of nature. My concern is that we'll do more damage though, before nature can repair our mess.

As for the methane explosion, that's potentially scary shit. I've seen documentaries where they show the ocean floor covered in this shit. They bring a piece of this "ice" to the surface and it catches on fire with a single spark. Pretty nasty.

If a huge amount of the methane was released as gas, it would certainly snuff out life in a large area. This happened to a few places in Africa already. Several lakes had methane hydrate that suddenly turned gaseous and erupted, killing entire villages.

I would think if this were REALLY about to happen in the gulf, we'd be hearing about it on the typical fear-mongering news networks.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again. Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit? I feel like the maid; I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!" - Robert Parr
    Let me know when the world is not on the brink of extinction until then I'll assume we're nanometers from being snuffed out.

I'll be happily going about my life until I either die a happy old man, or I'm snuffed out by some cataclysmic event I haven no control over. Either way I go out with a smile on my face knowing I didn't live my life in fear.

I say, fuck it. You can spend your life worrying about this shit and die of stress educed diseases or you can live your life. Do what you can in your limited capacity as a tiny fleshy dot on a big blue sphere. Focus on being happy and healthy, help who you can with what you have and keep doing it for as long as you can. Who knows maybe being happy and healthy will allow you to have an cumulative impact you never would be able to make otherwise.

Chances of you having enough brains or money to solve the worlds problems are pretty small. The chances of any one person possessing both and being able to solve it all in one grand gesture, are a fantasy at best. So leave what you touch better than when you found it and you might live long enough to inspire other people to do the same. If not... well at least you can smile because you tried your best, its all anyone can do when faced with such overwhelming adversity.
    "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Theodor Seuss Geisel
    In this context, don't be sad or fearful because a handful of idiots can ruin our party. Be happy you did something good while you had the chance.

"There is one thing that will knock you down that you will never recover from. If you're still around to wonder, was that it? Then that wasn't it."
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    yeah bring it bitches.. Y2k swine flu bird flu global warming 2012 .. wha a bunch of arse...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'm getting the idea none of you read the article.

Anyway it looks like typical fear mongering bullshit -- they mention in PASSING that most experts feel the threat is impossible because most of the scary doomsday methane is frozen and not going anywhere, and then quickly brush it away with 'but maybe not!'

That said, the theory of a methane explosion like the one they're saying this could cause is a definite, legitimate doomsday scenario -- if any kind of human action DID cause one we'd be fucked.

Somewhat more responsible articles on the same site downplaying the whole 'entire world is going to end holy shit' angle:
    http://www.helium.com/items/1868691-how-the-ultimate-bp-gulf-disaster-could-kill-millions
    http://www.helium.com/items/1879683-methane-gas-explosion-in-the-gulf

I like this one; But the Creator of this beautiful planet and all life therein, his name being Jehovah according to the commonly accepted English pronunciation of the Hebrew consonants YHWH, long ago declared his intention to bring to ruin those who are ruining the earth.
    http://www.helium.com/items/1888894-british-petroleum-deepwater-horizon-jehovah-god-apocalypse-doomsday
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suprore. i read it. Just thought it was bullshit. Our earth is doomed every year yet we still survive somehow. Why is that? Lucky?

We ain't going nowhere for quite a while. Don't worry, your grandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandchildren will be fucking up mars aswell.

I worry more about getting shot in the face than doomsday scenarios to be honest.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking of responsible reporting, some biased liberal news source with a good deal more credibility than the user submitted shit we've seen so far making some simple phonecalls and refuting the idea:

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Methane-Bubble-Earthquake-by-Rob-Kall-100623-979.html?show=votes

Wahlgren wrote: »
    Suprore. i read it. Just thought it was bullshit. Our earth is doomed every year yet we still survive somehow. Why is that? Lucky?

We ain't going nowhere for quite a while. Don't worry, your grandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandchildren will be fucking up mars aswell.

I worry more about getting shot in the face than doomsday scenarios to be honest.

I agree with you, totally, but rejecting a theory out of hand is as silly as believing one just because someone told you.

For example, i dont know if you remember or heard about it at the time, but a couple of years ago, maybe less, a pretty sizeable ('doomsday' size) asteroid passed pretty damn close to the earth -- and reports by astronomers were that the next time it comes around is uncertain enough that it could, in theory, end up striking the earth.

Now, that's nothing worth getting worked up over because the earth has close calls like that all the time, and the odds aren't anywhere near high enough to start making plans, but to reject it and say 'that could never happen' when it very much could happen, and certainly will happen someday, is a childish, uninformed viewpoint.

Similarly, if a giant methane bubble is formed somewhere under an ocean and violently escapes humanity will be pretty damn screwed. It's just that extrapolating that out from a few fissures near an oil spill is silly.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also. This.

"Is there any evidence to these claims? Robotic submarines are returning some very frightening video footage of methane gas hazards."

What's the more sane thing to say.

1) AHHHHH!!!! AHHH!!!
    2) Where is that footage then? You've obviously seen it and you're writing for some news-article-fanfiction-page-thingy. Why not put that shit up there?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure what he's (mis)reporting is the mainstream news reports that methane leaks from the oil spill (not from soem giant underwater bubble) are depleting the oxygen levels in the region and killing fish. That is real life scary methane evidence, but it's a very different kind of concern than climate change doomsday bubble
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Vig, you are teh awesome good sir.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    This article has all the journalistic integrity of one of those shows on The History Channel where neckbeards talk about 2012.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I got pretty seriously into salt water tanks not too long ago and it really opened my eyes to how badly we are destroying the ocean. I don't think there's any Doomsday scenarios but I do fear that most species of coral will be extinct in a few generations.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know if you guys have seen these vids...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-tIEqzcmU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk-c-eZngSw&feature=related[/ame]

I don't know if they are real/related but I think they're interesting.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    thats horrible. what a mess
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poisoned atmosphere? it will take more than that to kill us off. we can just live underground, filter air. get power from the sun, or underground heat. or...methane lolz. plus, we can grow meat in a petri dish now! it will be fun!

life give you a bunch of lem- methane? use it for heat
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Wait... the oil rain video i have to call bullshit on! That is just oil from cars in the rain, you see that everywhere.

The other video, my guess is its the fall off from a factory that was downwind of them. That happens quite a bit when no one is looking down there. If its anything to do with the spill i could see there being a chance that it could be from the gases released, or the chemical used as a oil dispersant.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Apparently the previous apocalypse wasn't good enough.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Someone studied in History the Spanish flu of 1918? If not, go to wikipedia.

Who knows if we will live to the zombie apocalypse someday haha. We have an anime of zombies right now, uhh high school of the dead haha.

Where i live we have several petrol refineries, and our beaches are not very suitable for swimming. As result, if you want to go to the beach (having the beach very close), you need to take the car, and go too far away. Tarifa, a well known place for surfers, has too many of its beaches contamitanated, you plant your foot into the sand, and you find patches of oil, tar. When i was a child all this place was fantastic, it has degraded to a shit now, and we don't do anything because petrol = jobs. With east winds we have to breath contaminated air with oil smell. And another thing is that our trees sweat like a black grease and when we have rains... almost always = ACID rains.

Leaving jokes aside, i would not like to live as a cockroach.

The nature is very slow to repair all the damage we do. The "Prestige" did a lot of damage to the spanish coasts and nature didn't repair anything. It will take ages for sure, no matter what they sell us about it.

BP... they may be creators of another natural catastrophe.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    skayne wrote: »

but really, dying from a giant earth fart sounds pretty anticlimactic.

I lol'ed! :P
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    End of world? Pfft. After watching The Road, Book of Eli, The Of the Dead movies ,playing certain games and reading certain books; I'm prepared for anything!
    *cocks shotgun and puts on gasmask* Bring it on!

But in all seriousness, I think they're blowing this slightly out of proportion.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this in a PhotoShop contest, thought it was funny.

DrillBabyDrill.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    well that's just dandy. I'm taking my honeymoon cruise across the gulf to Cozumel and Cancun in 3 months. Hopefully fate will let me get some snorkeling in before we get a Texas sized tidal wave.

The british have been planning to get back at us all these years.. good move I salute you. jk ;)