Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Maxx WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Illusive polycounter lvl 8
So i started this guy a few days ago, the maxx (comicbook character)
i think i'm getting pretty close to finishing him but i just wanted to get any crits or advice i could
(i'm still at school and fairly new to 3d btw so don't crush me too hard)

render2i.jpg

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like Maxx to me, but I'd like to see the breakdown for this feller.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakdown:

started with zspheres, sculpting pretty low poly then when the form was pretty good i did all the muscle groups and overall form.

then once i was happy with that i retopologised him to fix the mesh flow from the zshperes

mask/extracted for the shoes and straps and roughly sculpted them.

i did the rings, screws, bolts and those thing in max and brought them back into zbrush

then once i had everything roughly in place i did another overall sculpt then textured him with polypaint

i did a few adjustments in photoshop for the ink splatters on his arm and also just to overlay some shadows/highlights with the displacement maps
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Are you familiar with the character? He personality is not consistent with the shapes and the current silhouette. He is more aggressive, and has sharper and more defined angles, like so:
    http://api.ning.com/files/FuYKqBqnOpwa78uGUOJjKbn4A*RoxxAsVcPum7EM9nr-hic68PeEeVgY70z31KGE9eoHqiMVeuxrGyyi8d5cEqdzWohefDsn/e40e228348a0e0fb423b6110.L.jpg

also, the anatomy seems pretty messed up to me. I'm no anatomy expert but his upper torso should be way bigger in the back (the lats muscles), as well as that weird tube neck thing you got going on :P
    -I would make the front teeth come to more of a point instead of so rounded off and flat.

but not bad for someone new to 3d. I would suggest putting in more effort to make this thing really shine.
    /rant
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck:
    thanks, for the reply
    yeah i'm still kinda learning anatomy as i go (kinda why i picked such a bulky character) but now that you mention it the lats/back do need some work, as for the neck thing it was more just the look i was going for (kinda hutchedback that he has occasionally)

743519-maxx044_large.jpg

i had the teeth originally come to a point but i think it wasn't working from the front for some reason but i'll play around with it again and see.

i'm not sure what you mean by not being consistent with the shapes though, could you explain what you mean by that or do a paintover or something.

thanks
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love the maxx...and i like the idea you have going....maxx it hard cuz the comic is so stylized that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what he looks like... a lot of it is up to you but there are some big things that stand out to me....so here we go

1. claws should be bigger in all angles...wider, longer, pointier (sharper?).
    also i believe the claw should be coming out of (part of) the second knuckle, not between the first and second. The claw is his middle finger. He has an index, the claw, the ring and the pinkie

2. the yellow stripe is not a thin line. it varies across his face starting wide at the teeth, getting thin between the eyes and then getting wide again. it stops at the back of his head. doesn't go all the way down his neck.

3. his neck is too long. and you need to define the skull better..in this pose you can't really see it, but there is a skull shape in there

4. your muscle structure is incorrect. upper back should be wider. look up 'bodybuilding back muscles' pay particular attention to the laterals and shoulders.

5. the feet should be more pointy, longer and more narrow around the ankles.

6. his eyes should be closer together and more on the front of his face rather than the sides

this is a really good start over all, it's easy to say it looks right because maxx is such an easily identifiable character, but now you need to start focusing on the details so nerds like me will shut the hell up. :P

i really like the texture on the feet.
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His legs are so short and stout, how will he move? In the reference they seem a bit longer.