Home General Discussion

Things to do in/around Paris?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
Hey, seeing all these various European travel posts lately, I figured I'd get in on it.

I'm going to Paris next March (2011) for about a week, with my Mom, Uncle, and 2 teenage cousins. Anyone have any recommended things to do/see that probably aren't on my list already (Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, etc.)?

Thanks yo.

Replies

• Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sure some Polycount Parisians can give you some less obvious recommendations, but here's a couple of places that I really enjoyed visiting:

Make sure you see the Musee D'Orsay - a fantastic museum in a really impressive building. The Musee du Quai Branly is also great if you like cool ethnographic artifacts and interesting architecture. If you are a fan of sculpture - I'm assuming you are! - then you HAVE to see the Rodin Museum. Right around the corner from there is the Hotel Des Invalides which houses a pretty awesome military museum.

There's a street whose name I forget that has tons of awesome cafes selling the best gallettes/crepes and cider. I'll see if I can remember the address.

I'm sure you'll have a great time in Paris - it's such a great city for just wandering around and discovering things.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    the night club called kabaret
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I went to the Disney Land in Paris when I went there. Wasn't that fun though, but if you like that sort of thing then it might be worth a visit.

As Nick said, try and find some cafes or places that sell crepes. I know that a few of the best spots have been mentioned on the Food Network before but I don't remember what they were called or what show/chef mentioned them.

Obvious landmarks you should visit are The Louvre and Eiffel Tower.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Even though I spent 3 days in the louvre, I kinda preferred Musee De l'Olangerie, and Musee Dorsay a bit more. Rodin Gallery is pretty cool, so is the Arc de Triumphe, and yeah.. all that land-marky stuff.

I was staying in Monmartre which was pretty awesome, which is near the Moulin Rouge (which might be worth watching a show if you bring a nice suit). Cool Toulouse Lautrec paintings.

That's a block away from Les Trois Moulin's which is where Amelie worked in that movie. They have awesome breakfast and coffee there.

Oh, best chocolate I've ever had in my entire life by a landslide is in Montmartre handmade by a chocolaterie called A l'Etoile d'Or (award winning chocolate maker Denise Acabo).