Home Technical Talk

Unity + Android, anyone lovin' it?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
9skulls polycounter lvl 13
I'm actually quite excited about the possibility to be able to create apps for Android as soon as the Unity 3 gets released. Though I'm not sure if the Android version of unity will have the same free indie version as the regular Unity, but I hope it does so I could start and try making my own mobile games (with touch screen possibilities).

Basically I just wanted to hear what everyone else thinks about this, are you waiting to get your hands dirty with Unity's Android-possibilities? Do you already have your own Android phone?

I don't have a proper Android phone YET, but seeing that the brand new Samsung Galaxy S has gotten really good reception from various tech-mags, and has a support for the upcoming Android 2.2, I think my mind is already made :9 The phone seems to have everything I need from it.

Replies

• piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Certainly will check it out, as Unity 3 sounds interesting even as is.

Galaxy S is the fastest Adroid phone out there. I have HTC Desire(basically beefed up Nexus One) and it's pretty cool device.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Seeing as you have to pay for the Iphone license don't think its gonna be free :( I really want to try out Unity 3 but been toying with the free license but getting caught up in other interests :(
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Android has the developers love but the iPhone has the consumers love. So if you want to make good cash these days it has to be on the iPhone because that market is established for that and it just runs really well.
    Android on the other hand comes with small flaws that make it less attractive to work for, a few I issues I see:
    1. - to many hardware platforms just like the PC forcing you to build a unity game with lots of dynamic variables (resolution, details, controls,...) and that kinda kills it for smaller teams or the customers because they complain if it doesnt work as advertised on their particular droid phone.
    2. - marketplace is rushed with quantity coder art driven apps that might do the job often and are free but because of that the customers for that platform expect more of that kind instead of paying for something or actually expecting something of high quality.
    Here at soap the company I work at we got a android phone last week for this kind of stuff. Most likely I will get my hands on a unity version that supports ipad and android. But apple platforms will be my preferred platform because there are less devices to test on and the platform is more evolved in terms of publishing games.