Home Technical Talk

Collaborative Work with Unity Free

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
Myself and a few friends are interested in creating a little indie game and we've been looking at engines. Unity it would appear is the most approachable engine so far. The problem is we are scattered about the place and all work will need to be done remotely through some sort of SCM

Since alot of the work seems to go on in the IDE and it has proprietary project files which cant be diffed and merged I wonder has anyone found a workflow for using Unity Free with something like SVN. Has this presented a problem?

Any help/insights would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Theres really no way of doing it with the free version of unity. In Unity Pro you can make the project use external source control, which causes the .meta files to be stored next to the asset files in the Assets directory. If you can do that then you can use an external version control system. The best way is to just use AssetServer if at all possible (although I have never actually used it).

I have set up a "working" implementation of Perforce with Unity Pro. Its quite buggy but works for the most part. Or you can just use a VC system and manually checkout files, which may lead to lost work if you edit an unchecked out file or something. Theres a guide somewhere online about what folders/files to exclude from version control.

A similar setup might be possible in free Unity if you parse the meta files in the Library folder for the desired assets file name (they are binary but the referenced asset is generally readable).

Heres my inclusion/exclusion settings in perforce:
    -//depot/... //SVNUnityProjects/SVNUnity/...
    //depot/SVNUnity/Assets/... //SVNUnityProjects/SVNUnity/Assets/...
    //depot/SVNUnity/Library/*.asset //SVNUnityProjects/SVNUnity/Library/*.asset
    //depot/SVNUnity/Library/BuildPlayer.prefs //SVNUnityProjects/SVNUnity/Library/BuildPlayer.prefs

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers man, thats a shame. Seems like a big stumbling block. Might have to look at UDK again.