Home Technical Talk

Modeling slime drops - any tricks / hints on how to speed up workflow ?

Acumen
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Acumen polycounter lvl 18
well, a friend of mine asked me to do some slime drops hanging from the inner ceiling of a friendly free willy animal.
now my knowledge of cool tricks is extremely limited so i usually always model things straight away.
but i remembered some tutorial that made it so easy to make some realistic ropes with some of the physics system in 3dsmax. so i thought, hey maybe there's some nifty trick that calculates superrealistic slime drops within max :D
Could that be the case ?
Or maybe other fancy tricks/hints that could speed up the development process ?

Here's some nickelodeon slime refs - which is basically what we're aiming for:

WSLM-500_3.jpg

slimedroolgreen.jpg

since i'd need quite some variations (small, middle, big size, 2-3 pairs connected, and so on...) a nifty trick to speed up the workflow would be very much appreciated :)
Maybe even some supercool minitutorial that you folks do ever so often :D
*puppylook*
oh and it's for tf2 and may sure get jiggleboned :D

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Blender can simulate viscous fluids. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5S4NrFxQTs[/ame]
    also there is Glu3D for max

that might be worth a look. To be honest though whats the problem with modeling the drips. seems you could take longer searching for an easy way than it would take to model a few hundred of these drips. a simple box model with mesh smooth would do the job.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just interested in getting to know other ways of doing things. like with the mentioned physics simuluation for a dropping rope. i didn't know that before and learned some things :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get simulating then :), if your using Glu check the Docs, there is a really nice breakdown of what each attribute does with animations demostating the effects. also start your simulations pretty coarse and only tweak 1 parameter at a time. Simulation can be very confuising if you go at it wrong
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen wrote: »
    oh and it's for tf2 and may sure get jiggleboned :D
    Is it that you just need an easy way to make a goopy organic static mesh? Or are you looking to simulate slime in real time using source/tf2?

Simulations in max or blender won't translate to real time. Even baked out as vertex animation it gets really costly on system resources and most engines choose not to do it let alone simulate it.

Is it going to drip? Or is it going to just hang and possibly dangle or jiggle a little?
    Is it going to be attached to something that moves, like a character? Or just placed in the world?

Jiggle bones typically inherit motion from a parent object, like this:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mPRM_GulCc[/ame]
    Meaning the parent object needs to be moving.

If its going to be placed on something that doesn't move like the ceiling of a level, then there are some physics inside of Source that will help it jiggle when hit but it won't ooze and drip.

You could also animate the jiggle. The best you could probably do is give it a low health rating and spawn splatter when it gets hit.

I forget if source lets you animate scale on bones but if you could squash/stretch bones there are a few more tricks you could do to animate the slime dripping. Or possibly use free floating bones...

If you're just looking to make a gooey static mesh that doesn't animate then I would fire up zbrush, mudbox, maybe even 3dcoat and just sculpt something then polycrunch/proOptimize it down to a usable level.

There are quite a few things people would need to know before they could say "yes you should do it this way".
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did some more tests today and with the method r_fletch_r mentioned, box model + meshsmooth turns out quite alright for that project.

i don't wanna simulate the slime dripping process. i wish the portal2 stuff was released already :D
    it's hopefully going to "hang and dangle and jiggle" a bit. even though i haven't looked a single time on the whole jigglebone mechanism, i thought, when i animate it just a tiny bit it might jiggle along quite nicely. if that fails, we could go with the source physics solution you suggested.

btw, that blender video looks terrific :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to clarify why i posted sims was you can use them the fling slime or what ever at a collider, let it drip off and then take snapshots of the sim where you like the way the drips have formed.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18