Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Principles Office

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
This is my latest project " Principal Office" I'll post more details and what i plan to do with this soon. :)
Sketch_2.jpg
Sketch_2.jpg
Sketch_2.jpg
Sketch_2.jpg

Replies

• 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    So what am I looking at here?
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit wrote: »
    So what am I looking at here?

an exterior sci fi scene
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Whoohoo! a new Mistry thread!

I'm very impressed you keep them coming like this!:)
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Ah didnt think I would see a Mistry thread in a while..since I know you been busy with the new job. Looking forward to your progress, I certainly didnt expect exterior sci-fi scene from the title.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    this has nothing to do with school you have deceived me sir
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    I too have been fooled! Was expecting some kind of classroom punishment at a bare minimum.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian: Thanks !

ajr2764: I'm busy with work, but i still love creating my own environments. I have 2 more environments that i;m planning out and will be done this summer. As for the title... I guess it'll make more sense soon ( when i start posting more stuff) I was planning on biulding upon the "District J127" scene i made a while make ago. It turned out "good" but not great. And the layout/lighting of that set was kinda weak. So i really want to fix all those mistake and create something great.

Racer445, Electro: Think of it like this. Star Trek Academy meets killzone 2, but in outer space kinda Star Wars-ish, but with the same style as my District J127 environment. Or maybe i should change the name to District L156 :) :P
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool i'm excited to see how this turns out :P
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So guys i'm coming back to this old project and gonna finish it up :) I've done another paint over to show you the direction i want to take this in. I've think its better then the first posting. Framing the shot from inside a hanger bay will certain help a lot more. Below is a list of improvements that i want to make on this project. I looked at the past 2 sic fi scenes i made and looked at how i could improve on them. And the biggest problem i seemed to have is sci fi layout . btw the title of the final image will change to something like Hanger 11.52 :)

List of Improvements:
    Better sense of scale - larger vs smaller ships
    Adding human figure next to docked ship
    More unique buildings
    Day time lighting - fix lighting problems from previous 2 sci fi scenes
    Better layout - more unique buildings/ custom areas
    refined tiling textures
    look at more blade runner/tron/star wars ref
    "classic / traditional " feel - nothing over the top.
    more industrial - harder edges, straight lines
    More positive/negative space around buildings - create a better sense of connection
    use red lights in foreground (docking lights)
    interesting and unique buildings design ( for focal point) "principles office" / "OIL Rig"
    more curved buildings / objects. not all crazy straight
    more of a story timing for each building
    plan steam areas
    JJ style lighting - star trek movie REF
    add sci fi graffiti :)

PO_2.jpg
  • jave56
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ToryM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/tory/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG] hey hiten! it's tory! I finally figured out how to change my user-name and post on here.
    this is going to be cool. I like the winding bridges. They lead my eye through the piece and I think that is important when it comes to busy scenes. It also reminded me of Sparth's stuff (http://www.sparth.com/) you probably know of him already but he is so awesome and may give you some inspiration! (His colours are wicked)

I'm getting a lot of conflicting vibes looking over the potential references you listed (in my head at least). Generalizing here: Blade Runner is pretty noir, big areas of dark, shafts of light, not to many colours dominating each shot but more like one or two colours. Lots of silhouettes. Very grungy at times so graffiti is something I could see there.
    Contrastingly, JJ star trek movie style lighting and aesthetic is shiny, bright and clean. There are loads of colours. This is the same with the star wars prequels. These films have often rely on having very little obscured in mist or shadows.
    The new star wars and star trek take place in government buildings and academies. They tell the story by showing off as many creatures, vehicles, planets and other details to bring the viewer into the story. Everything visible and crisp. (I find it sometimes overwhelming in the new star wars films...)
    Blade Runner was often set in the dingy streets with lots of adds, street food, crazy people, robot strippers... There is mist, darkness and rain. It works by not showing everything and having slick noir style lighting. There is a lot of classic cinematography which is hard to translate, I find anyway, into creating some 3d scenes because often we want to show off as much detail as possible in our work. I know you probably have dealt with that dilemma. Sorry this is long! Just very interested in sci fi. : )
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tory !

Sparth is a great inspiration for anything sci fi ! For the ref that i listed, its more of liking one or two objects/elements that are in those movies and placing them in the world i'm building. Like in Blade runner there are these really cool really tall towering background buildings and i so wanna use them in my scene :) The lighting in my scene will be very similar to be WW2 set i made, but i'll have the ambient light more blueish .

This is 80% of the block-out done. its the got main buildings in there, i think the buildings read alot better then my previous sci fi scene, its got more positive negative space and more interesting silhouette.Another thing i really want to improve in is the lighting, my previous scene didnt have any direct light source, and this time i'm not gonna make that mistake. i'm gonna have more spaceships, and a giant mothership in the scene. The red circle in the background in gonna be another planet :) I'm gonna put back in the curved bridges soon, just reworking things.
    Sketch_3.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    wheres his chair
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @freill: haha !

so guys back w/ a quick clay render. i'm just using the daylight lighting system for now, and switch it back to what i usually use or bring this into UDK….
    i think it reads 10X better then my J127 sci fi scene, a lot more negative space really helps w/ the overall read IMO. and i'll be adding a lot more smaller props and spaceship soon !
    PO_3.jpg
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking sweet man, I was amazed by the J127 scene, this is going to be awesome!
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coming back to this.
    hope to finish alot of it by the weekend :) !
    Mistry_01.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the colours are alot better in this one
    mistrywip02.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it done.