Home General Discussion

Where do you find programer?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
elte polycounter lvl 18
Is there any site where you can find programmer who are looking for artist to work on their indie project particularly mobile like iPhone/iPad rather than PC game Mod (eg. moddb)

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    www.gamedev.net is a massive community of programmers and gamedevelopers, with a lack of artists, so that is a place to start.

But the best thing would be if you had a friend who was a programmer, since developing games with a strange when there's no money involved can be quite hard to pull through.

The programmer will most likely be the leading factor in a project, since it is likely he has the most experience in actual game mechanics, and develops the core of the game.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    In my case, you don't bother finding a programmer, and just teach yourself how to program. I wouldn't recommend this approach, though. It takes quite a while. It would probably be much faster to find a programmer. You might also try to look around at www.tigsource.com. There are quite a few indie programmers on those boards.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    im slightly dissappointed that no-ones made any anti-programmer deregatory remarks in here, as a response to where do you find them...come on were letting the art "side" down
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where do you find them? Where do you DUMP 'em, am I right?

(Are you happy now, Shep?)

ps: I'm looking for a programmer too.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    From first hand and second hand experience, use a pre-existing engine, get a programmer friend to scope out what scripts and tools you might need.

Then just pay a programmer freelance to make the scripts you'll want.

Otherwise the programmer will WANT to program every engine from scratch, there won't be any tools support, there will be no functionality, and they will somehow become the Art Directing, Programmer Directing, Creative Directing, Game Director that won't listen to any of your ideas, and only put their own ideas into it.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Blenders got that thing going on havent?

Swap code for art, its in one of these threads.

Here's the webby not sure if its relevant or helps.

http://www.artforcode.org/
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    in the park with binoculars:)
    or in the pub drinking half a shandy
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi: That's for programming Blender.
    I posted about it on here initially, but it's really aimed at artists wanting to see a new feature in Blender.
  • Dayvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As eld said, gamedev.net is a good place to look, but I suggest having something to show first, like a mini GDD (http://dayvi.com/invasion-scale/)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    eld wrote: »
    www.gamedev.net is a massive community of programmers and gamedevelopers, with a lack of artists, so that is a place to start.

^This...
    But the best thing would be if you had a friend who was a programmer, since developing games with a strange when there's no money involved can be quite hard to pull through.

The programmer will most likely be the leading factor in a project, since it is likely he has the most experience in actual game mechanics, and develops the core of the game.

Even though, you are better off finding a friend's help interms of getting a programmer for games, it wouldnt hurt to post at the GameDev and ask there also, because 50% people there are programmers for fun, fresh off the college, self learners. I think you will have a pretty good chance on getting atleast one programmer if you impress them with your proposal.

Good luck.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Calabi: That's for programming Blender.
    I posted about it on here initially, but it's really aimed at artists wanting to see a new feature in Blender.

Ok, but couldnt you offer them a deal they cant refuse?

I dont know about GameDev, I sometimes post on there and there always getting annoyed with people asking them to make their game.

You might have more of a chance though if your asking to help a programmer on their project rather than asking them to do your project.

Also spefically Iphone, Ipad, you might have luck here.

http://forum.unity3d.com/index.php?sid=f4fddd98fccfcefa858fe92a198e05ff
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, part of the problem is that a programmer isn't going to make YOUR game unless you pay them. If it is a non-profit gig, you will always end up making the game the programmer wants to make. Of course, this is largely because the programmer is the one who is going to be making the actual game part of the game. As much as artists love their eye-candy, the real power in development always lies with the programmers. No code, no game.