Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yamaha YZF R1

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dani polycounter lvl 9
ey guys,

first off I would like to say hi to everyone on the polycount {edited} boards, I've browsed around the forums for quite a while but never found the nerve to post some of my own stuff in between all those awsome WiP's and professional looking renders.

That said I realised at a certain point that the best way for me to learn is to listen to people who've been there/done that:poly124:.

That said don't be affraid to be critical:poly124:, I will try to incorporate any reasonable suggestions to improve my workflow.

The model:

The model is a recreation of the Yamaha YZF R1 - sport motorcycle. I try to create the model based on a large amount of references that I have found around the net.

I have spend around 9 hours on the model so far, mainly having some difficulties with the plating (regarding place/shape). Some shapes are just placeholders for now to get some kind of orientation regarding scale etc..

thanks in advance for viewing/commenting:poly121:,

highresmotorcycletyres.png

highresmotorcycletyres3.png

Replies

• Tom Ellis
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, at both the wip so far, and the fact that someone else is insane enough to do a bike as well ;)

Careful with the width, make sure you get plenty of front, back and angled photos of the bike. Only reason I say this, is because it's looking a tad skinny so far.

DEFINITELY block it all out rough and low poly first as creationtwentytwo mentioned above, it's critical to make sure you nail all the proportions correctly without making it painful for yourself to change later on.

Also, try to stick as much to the photos as you can, the windshield curvature is a little off from what I can see atm. As well as the seat slightly and the fuel tank. It is tricky with parts because in the side shots you'll be modeling in orthographic against a perspective photo. Make sure you get a few photos to compare against to try get the best match.

Keep it up!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    seems like a good start! just pay real close attention to your refs and collect as much info as you can about the bike.

i gotta second the width crit though. make sure it's real beefy, as these kinds of bikes are real fat: http://z.about.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/D/V/-/-/BMW_S_1000_RR_front.jpg
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    update:

back again, I've taken a look at the above comments and remade most of the fairing. Seems I was indeed heading the wrong way with regard to the width of the entire bike (tyres were okay but fairing was way off). Personally I like the shape alot more now.

One thing I noticed is that I really underestimated how much stuff goes into a reasonably small maschine. I guess its the equivalent of the relation between laptop/pc and car/bike.

I think I can manage to finish the fairing tonight and start on the engine block (will model it fully so it can potentially be rendered seperately from the main body).

Thanks for the helpfull comments:poly121:

as always critique is more then welcome:poly124:update01.png
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Update:

Slow but steady:P, haven't been able to put a whole lot of time into the model the last two days (work+driving lessons+social stuff:thumbup:) but still managed to clean up some stuff and start working on the more detailed parts like the engine and the steering mechanism.

One thing I keep bumping into is the lack of reference material available (especially for the engine/hud) so if any of you guys have this bike sitting in the garage or have some reference pictures available don't hesitate to pm me. (please?:))

c&c is verry welcome,
    update02.png
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, although I think it's still too thin, fatten it up some as Racer suggested!

With regards to the engine, it depends how close to reality you wanna go but you could always find a different bike engine to work off of.

Often times the 'faired' sportsbikes have an unfaired alternative which uses exactly the same engine but retuned... for example the Honda Hornet has the same engine as a CBR600 with different tuning.

I'm pretty sure (could be wrong though) that the Yamaha FZ1 Engine is the same as the R1 and since the FZ is a naked bike, you should be able to get some clearer pics of the engine.

Hope that helps.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    thanks alot for the tips, with regard to the width I've already made it roughly twice as wide as the screenshot at the top. According to my reference (front ref) its accurate so it might just be the angle of the screens that makes it look to thin.

One thing that might be to thin is the tank so I might thicken that up a bit.

motorcyclefrontview.png
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah my bad for not being specific, the fairing width looks fine, it's the tank/seat/tail looks like it could do with a bit more width.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Width Angle

Ganked from the flickr folder bitmap posted. I think this is what racer/creation are talking about.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How's the bike going?
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Knee deep into my exams at the moment so not much time to work on this. Gonna spend some time on this baby as soon as I'm done with studying:P.
  • Pedro Amorim