Home General Discussion

how do you grade game art?

In a professional studio environment, What objective criteria would you use to grade a prop in a video game? Let's say it's a model of a chair, with a color texture map. If you had to assign a numbered grade to something, without using your opinion at all, how would you do it?

How do you decide that a piece of art for a game is not "good" or "fine" but "85%"?

This is a real question.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Art is subjective

/thread

If I was a teacher I'd break it down, 20% for even use of topology and good edge flow, 30% for texturing, having no bad seams, and good use of UV space, etc etc.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I would base it on the UV layout, geometry cleanliness, optimization, and first impression of the texture work ("Wow that looks good" or "This looks like a blurry mess of pixel").

Just my thoughts though.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I think it comes down to 1 simple thing...

does it look good?

I dont think in games, edge flow and UV space and all that REALLY matters in the final product. as long as it looks good enough to be in the game. obviously with proper edge flow and good uv layout and all that, it will have better chances of fitting the criteria, but from what ive heard, alot of shortcuts are taken as well to make things look like they should. may not be pretty technically, but visually, they are great.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I hate it when people try and treat art as math... Art cannot be put into numbers.

At least not the looks of the art piece in question, obviously, if were talking technical stuff, like tri count, pixel density ratio, UVW space usage, scale, now that's a different case, and even that is pretty much down to logic:
    - Will the player be able to see the asset very close to the camera?
    - Is it a gameplay asset? (Needs clean and smooth collisions if player will walk on top of it)
    - Does it reuse already existing textures / materials?
    I could go on, and on. :)

Bottom line, if it looks good, it looks good. If it looks good and it runs great on consoles, then you'll make your coders happy! :P
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    dolemite wrote: »
    How do you decide that a piece of art for a game is not "good" or "fine" but "85%"?

I don't
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Dolemite; Art in general is tough to judge so you can not decide if your piece is done for the game or still needs somework. A good artist decides when his/her piece is done.

It is based on your own observation as an artist, you decide if your art is good to pass on or not.

If you are working on an art assigned to you, you check to see if the requirements are met and if they are and they are looking good you pass it on to check if anything is missing.

@Yozora: for the first time I've seen you leave a topic by dropping 2 words...O.O
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    @ slipsius: Booooooooo

If there are any shortcuts to be taken, were usually talking about environment art. The shortcuts that are okay to take, should be of a visual nature, and never a wasteful on the performance end. I feel like its totally necessary to take shortcuts on the visuals because of the sheer volume of work that needs to be done for environment, if you treated every asset like a hero asset. The game will never get done. You need to re-use textures, maximize UV space, maximize your poly efficiency- which unfortunately doesn't look 100% awesome all the time. (but it can if done right)

the number one important thing in game art is efficiency. Everything else is secondary.
    If you make an amazing looking asset, but its poly usage/distribution is crap, its unwrap is crap, and its pixel ratio is crap- at the end of the day, your beautiful asset is crap. Usually towards the end of projects there are pretty large optimization passes. and if a beautiful asset is asininely wasteful. it either gets the boot, or someone has to go in and 'fix" it which usually involves uglification.

However, I still dont think you can grade assets because context is key. how much is is used? how big is it? does it need to facilitate gameplay? etc etc etc.

At the end of the day, you can judge assets based on how intelligently they are put together.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    + What konstruct said

Enough with the art is tough to judge and it is different for everybody mumbo jumbo.
    That shit does not really apply here.

When creating pieces you go by more of a check list,
    Does this wireframe and the amounts of tri's go? (what can i improve vs time)
    Does this unwrap fit the needs and can i get away with it (what should i change vs time)
    ect.. ect..
    What more can i do with the texture and how much can i push it till i start spending hours that no one will notice (polish vs time)

Does what i create now, follow the lines of the concept and does this fit in with the other models.

All these things come with experience and asking.
    Since everycase is specific, it is not just explainable with a few things you should do. Ask someone you work with, or your lead ect to have a look and give you a go or for tips and tricks.

Some pieces are created in a rush, some are done with a splendid polish,
    It all comes down to weighing out as you go and that can only be done with exp.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    A prop could be judged in form and in function.

1. Does it meet all the visual requirements set out for it ( style, level of detail etc)

2. Does it meet all the technical requirement set out for it ( tri count, texture size, optimization etc)

Try telling your lead that "art is subjective" when he/she asks you to change something......see where that gets you :)
  • LetterRip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LetterRip polycounter lvl 10
    First you need to define the goals

This asset should have the following characteristics

polycount - no more than Foo tris, it should already be decimated
    maximum texture size - 512k/1024k/2048k/etc square/rectangle texture in png or whatever format
    channels - it should have diffuse, normal, spec, AO, etc
    lighting - it should look good under full lighting, etc.
    it should look good at close up or distant, etc.
    it needs to look good from the following views, etc.

Possibly even have a test scene.

Rubric

does it meet the technical objectives - ie is it at or below the tricount, did the specified texture sizes get used
    was floating geometry used where appropriate to reduce polys
    has geometry duplicates been used where appropriate
    was the texture space maximally utilized or are there large areas on unused texture space
    were texture and polys allocated to where they would do the most good (ie were texture and polys wasted on non visible parts of the mesh)
    how does the silhouette look for the views specified (are there unnaturally straight areas on an organic object)
    are the textures crisp or blurry
    are the saturation levels appropriate
    is the texture 'too clean'
    was tiling used - if so does it look natural or are their seams and obvious repeats
    has lighting or shadows been 'baked in' if appropriate.

of course rigging, skinning, and other aspects need to be evaluated also.

There are lots more things to look at but that is off the top of my head.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good and bad and mediocre which is also bad but promising.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Very carefully.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I grade everything in terms of how many Skittles I award to each game. Like uncharted 2 got 184 Skittles. I also award and factor in things like color and taste of the Skittles too making it a very robust and diverse grading system.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    I grade everything in terms of how many Skittles I award to each game. Like uncharted 2 got 184 Skittles. I also award and factor in things like color and taste of the Skittles too making it a very robust and diverse grading system.

I love you.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Awesome - cool - plain - boring - shitty
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    good - bad - very bad
    theres no inbetweens
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oops, I forgot one, "polycount banner worthy".
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    superb - good - decent - bad - very bad

Quality > Quantity :P
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I'd rate it on if it was up to spec, and consistent with the rest of the work.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Ok, everyone saying you can't quantify what makes art good or bad is right... but seriously get out, that is the laziest answer and you all know it. We make art as a job and it has to meet specifications. Game art has to utilize all the resources its alowed where it matters.

There is a techical side to what we do and thats what this thread is about.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    Try telling your lead that "art is subjective" when he/she asks you to change something......see where that gets you :)

hear hear
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    when someone's done a really good drawing and coloured it in without going over any of the lines or anything, we like to give out gold stars. When an Artist collects five gold stars, he gets to hand out the crayons for a full month.

really though, if this question is being asked cos it's being put into practice somewhere (shudder) it makes me wonder what the sign-off policy is ...

"85% right, that'll do, box ticked, move on"
    or
    "only 15% more to go before you can move on ... 12% to go... 8% ... 1% ... done"

either one of those makes me feel a little queasy.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    When I gave a game art course, I first looked at how closely they followed directions, because adhering to tech standards is extremely important in a studio environment. Next I looked at how well it was made (UV efficiency, edge flow, etc) and thirdly I looked at aesthetics, how good the asset actually looked.

But you'll find it's pretty easy to just give everyone a very poor grade because by and large 90% of the students won't follow directions, won't spend more than a few hours at most on an asset that was recommended to have 10 hours plus on, and almost zero of the projects turned in will be aesthetically pleasing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    poop: that's a good break down, I'd probably round things out with bonus points for originality. I wouldn't cut the students any slack either, hopefully the "F" they get on their first assignment will be enough of a wake-up call to up their game or drop out.
  • Dallas Robinson
    Wow, this is all really harsh! Hahaha. I hope newbies are still willing to get into games after this. well at the studios I've worked at the judging on the art was pretty much the same but there are somethings that i think people forgot. One, what style are you working in? Many times I've seen people put WAY too much energy into an object that will barely be on screen or is totally in a different style. I've seen people try to get Doom 3 graphics in to a happy go lucky rainbow platformer. No matter how good that deathbot you made was if it doesn't fit it doesn't FIT! Ugh, time spent is another good one I mean i know people are all about quality versus quantity but at the same time if you lovingly spend 2 months on one room and there are 40+ levels that needed to be done in 6 months you may need to speed up. Definitely keep the quality but speed is important as well. Personally I think speed comes with practice so one solves the other but some people are just naturally slow (which isn't a bad thing just something that needed to be worked on). lets see what else. OH! How well can your work be revised? Alot of the time in game production whole levels will be changed after you spent forever getting the perfect look. How well can you go back and change everything and still get the same level of quality with half or 1/4 the time you spent on the first version? Remeber it's a GAME first and art second (which totally sucks, i know) but if the GAME needs to change so too does your art. Art bows to game design.

When your just in school it's just all about getting your stuff to look good and be on target. In the real world you have to do all that and deal with the needed of production and your team. I hate to say it but speed does matter, wiggle room for revisions does matter, and being able to understand different styles does matter. that kind of stuff really isn't covered too well in school from what i have seen. School is way more about the portfolio.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And in a production environment, asset friendliness is another factor.

i.e. could someone else pick up the model file and your textures and be able to easily edit them? Did you name your layers/objects/PS layers? How destructive/non-destructive was your workflow?

Nothing worse than pulling up someone else's art to find everything named Box01, Box02 or Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 2 copy, etc (or no source PSD file at all)...
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, this is all really harsh! Hahaha. I hope newbies are still willing to get into games after this. well at the studios I've worked at the judging on the art was pretty much the same but there are somethings that i think people forgot. One, what style are you working in? Many times I've seen people put WAY too much energy into an object that will barely be on screen or is totally in a different style. I've seen people try to get Doom 3 graphics in to a happy go lucky rainbow platformer. No matter how good that deathbot you made was if it doesn't fit it doesn't FIT! Ugh, time spent is another good one I mean i know people are all about quality versus quantity but at the same time if you lovingly spend 2 months on one room and there are 40+ levels that needed to be done in 6 months you may need to speed up. Definitely keep the quality but speed is important as well. Personally I think speed comes with practice so one solves the other but some people are just naturally slow (which isn't a bad thing just something that needed to be worked on). lets see what else. OH! How well can your work be revised? Alot of the time in game production whole levels will be changed after you spent forever getting the perfect look. How well can you go back and change everything and still get the same level of quality with half or 1/4 the time you spent on the first version? Remeber it's a GAME first and art second (which totally sucks, i know) but if the GAME needs to change so too does your art. Art bows to game design.

When your just in school it's just all about getting your stuff to look good and be on target. In the real world you have to do all that and deal with the needed of production and your team. I hate to say it but speed does matter, wiggle room for revisions does matter, and being able to understand different styles does matter. that kind of stuff really isn't covered too well in school from what i have seen. School is way more about the portfolio.

The first day of (the ones I give) class, part of the intro material explains that each student must pick an art style and than all assets for the class must match that art style. They have to do a quick one week project putting together a bunch of found images in a similar style, be they photos or videogame screenshots, and then do some sketches of random found objects in that style. When I was grading I kept how well their assets matched their chosen art style in mind.

But I really cant stress enough how poor the quality of students will be. So far I've yet to hear of a single game art course that does any filtering past, "can you pay for this" and then flood through as many bodies as they can fit in the classroom. This results in 100:1 people who think the idea of working in games sounds fun to people who have an actual passion for making interactive art. With 20-30 people per class your chances of getting one of the good ones is low. Combined with the fact that even schools that aren't paid directly by the students benefit directly from the number of students in the school, and they will create policies that encourage very loose grading, meaning no bad students get flunked out or filtered. I can't count the number of atrocious students that through no amount of lifetimes spent in practice could ever contribute to a single videogame title in any way that would tell me I was the first professor to give them less than an A, and they were on their final year of a 4 year degree.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Talon wrote: »
    And in a production environment, asset friendliness is another factor.

i.e. could someone else pick up the model file and your textures and be able to easily edit them? Did you name your layers/objects/PS layers? How destructive/non-destructive was your workflow?

Nothing worse than pulling up someone else's art to find everything named Box01, Box02 or Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 2 copy, etc (or no source PSD file at all)...

Lol yeah things like Box01, Box02, Spline78 can get annoying but it happens easy when doing large amounts of work quickly.

I love when at work and I open an environment to find everything creativly named yet have nothing to do with the obj at all. "Granny Beat Stick" "It puts the lotion on its skin" "lol naming is dumb" "chewing gum right now".

Always makes me smile a bit untill I need to find something.