Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - tristamus

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tristamus polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, so glad a contest like this is going on!

As Scout is definitely my favorite class, I plan to make something for him, however; If I can't think of anything super cool, I'll make something for the Heavy.

It's daunting, the possibilities!! =O

Will be back later to update this threadedededed!

Replies

• Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello old friend! How have you been? Im glad to see you on the forums again. Scout seems like a good choice. Maybe you, myself and Matt can do a joint theme? Im excited to see your concepts!
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha you responded so fast, awesome. Let me friend you on here so we can keep it going together.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SO I'm getting some really goofy ideas all of a sudden that I don't even know will be feasible...

1) Misc Item Slot?

Go-go-scout Binocular Droid:

A Misc slot item that allows the player to detect enemies. The player would use a bat to hit the droid/probe into the sky/into the enemy base and it would act as a sort of reconnaissance tool to "scout" out enemies positions. It would of course have x-ray vision for people inside buildings and behind walls. Also, it only would last for as long as it wasn't destroyed by the enemy, otherwise for only 15 seconds till it self destructed (which could kill an enemy as well). The other downfall will be that the player would be vulnerable while viewing through its optics.

I'm not entirely sure if something like this is possible. It may be too futuristic...or interfering with game-play mechanics? That is something I'm trying to avoid, of course.

The main idea I guess, is that it can be used for the player to communicate with voice-chat/text what the enemies are planning/doing, wherever the droid lands.

The main problems I see with this are clipping issues...if someone wants to wack the droid to the enemy base, blocking volumes in the sky might stop that from happening.

Whatya think peoples...?
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a replacement for the baseball it works. However I see problems on specific maps, 2Fort for instance. How will it get past the walls into the interior of the base? The Scout is a fast paced, short lived class. I dont know if people wanna sit around and watch with the fastest class.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a close idea of what I am picturing in my head, but likely to change drastically in the future...

This should be nostalgic for some... ^_^

droid1.jpg

So basically, instead of firing lasers to train Jedi's, it'd have camera's to detect dem enemies. Hmm...
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right Andrew, that definitely is something important.

The best way, I guess, to counter that, is to just use the basement/sewer access, swing a droid into there (or from the stairwell leading up to the base), and see what's going on. Maybe the ball/droid could be movable via a remote the Scout has? That would be hella fun....maybe then, if it was movable, I can detract its X-ray ability.

Hmm...that then also leads me to think it should have a manual detonation abiltity....and perhaps only be usable 1 time per spawn? Maybe that's too OP though...
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idea 2:

GO-GO-Scout Super Sneakers:

Allows the scout to go DOUBLE SPEED and jump TWICE AS HIGH, for a very limited 5 seconds, and cool-down time of 2 minutes! lol...Maybe it isn't the most original idea, but hey...

I suppose my awesome stylization of these cool new Super Sneakers would be the selling point of the model...

Is doing something like this even allowed?

Throwin' them out there, claiming it!!
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heavy Idea 1:

1-BYG-UN0T Shotgun:

Allows for 1 extremely powerful blast per 7 second cool-down / reload time. Essentially, a shotgun with 4 or 5 barrels all together that shoot all at once, and ONLY all at once.

Yes....you can imagine how awesome that would be.

It wouldn't necessarily always be one hit kills, consider the spread of the shotgun shell and perhaps decreased damage per shell.

Here's an idea of such a convienient little(big) guy...

big-baby-shotgun-thumb-450x205.jpg

Looks good to me! And I kid you not, I did NOT Google this image before I thought of this idea. Google is just magic like that.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That'd be Hellboy's gun from the second movie.

I like the idea of the scout using his bat to launch something into the game area, but I'm not sure the droid would work stylistically or mechanically in TF2. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I'd suggest as an alternative, but there's possibilities there.
  • HighwayHalfling
    The only thing I can say about the droid is that it is kind of hi-tech for 1950ish time period no?
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    well, so is the sentry ;) a scout droid could fit but it should look very retro futuristic, and have a small antenna dish :P
  • HighwayHalfling
    True but then maybe it should more of a spy item? The technology just doesn't seem to fit the Scout but I like the concept!
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm...yeah, I think what you guys are saying about the droid idea is correct. If I were to do it, it'd have to be very retro futuristic. And then again, it might just be a spy item...

Hmmmmmmm....

Gonna think about this at work today lol.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heavy Idea 1:

1-BYG-UN0T Shotgun:

Allows for 1 extremely powerful blast per 7 second cool-down / reload time. Essentially, a shotgun with 4 or 5 barrels all together that shoot all at once, and ONLY all at once.

It wouldn't necessarily always be one hit kills, consider the spread of the shotgun shell and perhaps decreased damage per shell.

Looks good to me! And I kid you not, I did NOT Google this image before I thought of this idea. Google is just magic like that.

Had this idea one time, but after drawing a couple of concepts and thinking about gameplay, trashed it. For this gun to be balanced, it needs very slow cool down and very bad accuracy.
  • ultrafunix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus wrote: »
    Heavy Idea 1:

1-BYG-UN0T Shotgun:

Seems like a good weapon, i think an alternative drawback could be cool-down of 5 seconded, but also can only shoot 3 shots without picking up ammo. (i was thinking 5 shots, but u would usually kill someone in 3 shots with that, and you can use there wep for more)
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so, I've read up on all the news about how game-play mechanics and what-not are practically useless to talk about, and that the ART is what I should be focusing on, so all-in-all, that makes things easier!

It actually makes it way easier for me, because modeling and texturing is way more easy to come up with than the ideas for game-play implementation!

I see that someone mentioned that the shotgun is from Hellboy? I didn't know that...mainly because I haven't seen Hellboy in years and I'm not that big a fan!

If that's true, do you guys think that if I modeled something along those lines for the heavy, along with two other items of that theme of "BIG AND IMPRACTICAL," that that may infringe on some copyright's? I don;t want valve being scared because it's similar to Hellboy's gun or etc...
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can do it buddy I belive in you!