Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - vcool

Haha I can't believe this, but I'm switching themes and items for the third time now. But this will be the last time though, I swear!

New theme: Antique weaponry

1) a pepperbox revolver

142197.jpg

I was considering making a bigger breakbarrel Colt as a natural progression from the ambassador (I would call it the President :P) but then I thought that maybe it's time for something smaller.

This should be fun to model and animate.

2) sapper replacement

I'm not sure of the design yet, but it would probably merge antique tech like old large batteries and external solenoids.

3) knife

I'm not really sure about this one. I want to make something interesting, and I came across a pantographic knife:

Pantagraphic_knife_007.jpg

knives_tactical_paratrooper.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vph3EK-Nmt4[/ame]

(go to 0:41 to see how it opens)

I was browsing for more reference and then I came across a knife forum, and basically the idea is, the pantographic knife was patented ages ago but never really used for anything by anyone. It's just a pretty complicated looking thing with little technical value.

On the other hand, it looks cool and the animations should be fun.

What do you guys think about this? the alternative would be an old straight razor like this:
68022.jpg
with (ironically) a french tip so that backstabs make sense:
Razor_Point_Shapes.png

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I like the perfume idea, but the dart gun seems like it should be a little more useful, as it stands it sounds fairly worthless, though if it wasn't gimped sufficiently..
    You know how the community reacts to things like that.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, major update and an idea overhaul in first post.

Tell me what you guys think.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the Barfume:

barfume1.jpg

Not much, really, I'll need to find out how Valve did the jigglebones for jarate that it looks like actual liquid is moving.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha I can't believe this, but I'm switching themes and items for the third time now. But this will be the last time though, I swear!

New theme: Antique weaponry

1) a pepperbox revolver

142197.jpg

I was considering making a bigger breakbarrel Colt as a natural progression from the ambassador (I would call it the President :P) but then I thought that maybe it's time for something smaller.

This should be fun to model and animate.

2) sapper replacement

I'm not sure of the design yet, but it would probably merge antique tech like old large batteries and external solenoids.

3) knife

I'm not really sure about this one. I want to make something interesting, and I came across a pantographic knife:

Pantagraphic_knife_007.jpg

knives_tactical_paratrooper.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vph3EK-Nmt4[/ame]

(go to 0:41 to see how it opens)

I was browsing for more reference and then I came across a knife forum, and basically the idea is, the pantographic knife was patented ages ago but never really used for anything by anyone. It's just a pretty complicated looking thing with little technical value.

On the other hand, it looks cool and the animations should be fun.

What do you guys think about this? the alternative would be an old straight razor like this:
    68022.jpg
    with (ironically) a french tip so that backstabs make sense:
    Razor_Point_Shapes.png
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do believe that someone is already doing the razor.
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do believe that someone is already doing the razor.

So?
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That pantograph knife is sweet.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm glad people are posting in here!

I'll definitely first try the pantograph, I just love the mechanism, it should be very fun to animate. I'll just to remind myself how to do that, exactly :P

In the end, if it's just weird and/or sucks I'll go with the razor since it's not particularly hard to make. At least it doesn't look like it.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I am already doing the razor, sorry - if it where to be something I created before this contest I wouldnt have minded but since I am sticking with my spy legacy theme, and the razor being a pretty important part of my pack I'd rather have you stick to your pantograph knife, which is btw, AWESOME!
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a question, where would the Bouquet go in the slot hierarchy and what animation set would you use?
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    edit: whoops wrong thread! *cloaks
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Just a question, where would the Bouquet go in the slot hierarchy and what animation set would you use?

It would replace the knife, but I'm not doing it. I guess I should clean my first posts because they are misleading.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighto, started the knife

knife2.jpg

Handle and lock done so far. Need to make the actual blade, the blade orifice (or whatever the proper name is), the two metal bits inside and bolts.

I also started the Pepperbox yesterday.

pepperbox1.jpg
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to the full models and in game comparisons.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, so, I need to get the interior stuff done and then finally unwrap and then the horrors of new animations.

knife3.jpg

Ortho view.

Oh, blade design inspired by

FOVespulaBlackJade9.jpg
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how would a sapper replacement work?
    I only thought there was a primary, PDA, and melee for the spy.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a model swap.

Or is it impossible to swap the sapper model?
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, the knife was really pissing me off back then so I was working on the pepperbox instead.

pepperbox2.jpg

I did a lot of research and finally realised that in it's antique way the gun was simply not feasible to use. It required a change of percussion caps and it had to be loaded from the front. You needed powder too. For some reason the true nature of it's mechanism eluded me when I decided to make it.

Anyway, I decided on a slightly more modern approach of a regular center fire. I borrowed the hammer (which is not finished btw) from the Mosin-Nagant:

20081125-026.jpg

cause I thought just a regular hammer would look boring, and it resembled the old top-down hammer closer too.

So yeah, there's the progress.

I'll chamfer the cutout so it looks smoother, also you can see it's quite a bunch of tris. It's not optimized at all, there's a TON of stuff I can save on, and I'll do it as soon as I finish the main geometry.

gimme crits folks.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got this babe UVed, texturing now.

pepperbox4.jpg

EDIT:

I have to remind myself to make some babies for Xoliul.

pepperbox5.jpg
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, ported. Had a small issue in the QC on which Zip gave me his good, wise, worthy advice like a Pro: "delete that shit" :D<3

default fov:

ctf_2fort0009.jpg

fov 50:

ctf_2fort0008.jpg

some thirdperson:

ctf_2fort0010.jpg

ctf_2fort001.jpgctf_2fort0012.jpg

I am aware of some clipping issues, and they will be fixed since I'll have to do custom anims anyway.

C'mon guys, I can't be the only one posting in here :(
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the first person view looks like a giant white mass...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    That's because it's not textured yet. It's just simple base colors with AO. I think it's looking fairly nice so far.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    clipping pretty hard through the hand.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice. Texture will be what makes or break it I think.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    clipping pretty hard through the hand.

"I am aware of some clipping issues, and they will be fixed since I'll have to do custom anims anyway."

You should try reading those letters underneath the pretty pictures sometime.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    "I am aware of some clipping issues, and they will be fixed since I'll have to do custom anims anyway."

You should try reading those letters underneath the pretty pictures sometime.
    You're right, at the bottom of those giant friggin' images I did miss that you said that.

But maybe you should consider that I was trying to be helpful and not be an ass about it.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unwrapped the knife, gave it a base texture.

koth_sawmill0001.jpg
    koth_sawmill0002.jpg

Still loads to do. It's clipping, I'll have to nudge verts around, make a proper texture, and make a new draw animation. The other animations are fine as they are, except I think the bones are not in the "proper" positions.

Sigh. Still sapper to start, and a revolver to finish.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I narrowed down the theme to 19th century, cause that's where most of the items come from.

I've been thinking about the third item, and at first I thought to abandon the sapper and thought about a deerstalker hat for the spy, possibly with a pipe as a nod towards Sherlock Holmes and his work in the 19th century. I tried the pipe thing, and it failed. I managed to attach the pipe to the cig bone but it doesn't move when the spy speaks like the cig. So I guess the pipe is a no no. Unless Valve comes up with a new way of dealing with pipes since so many people are adding pipes/cigars. I did a mockup of the spy in the deerstalker hat:

sherlock_mockup1.jpg

Since I'm not really sure about what to do I drew up a concept of the sapper as I see it in my head:

sapper_concept.jpg

And here I am. The hat would be much easier to make, and it wouldn't break any continuity with the "place sapper here" white outline things (making them is a possibility but that's more work.), but a sapper is just a more interesting replacement.

Thoughts?
  • Hotdogbunker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really liking the Edison lamp on that. Also, for those extruding wires, make them wavy and unruly, people love that!
  • Boylee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deerstalker ftw. How has this awesome hat not made it into the game yet?
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, drew another concept with a tesla coil. A high voltage tesla coil wouldn't really need wires to wrap around the buildings too, so easier to make the "place sapper here" thing.

sapper_concept2.jpg

Oh and also, I completely forgot to mention what I mean by edison battery:

10422x.jpg

THOUGHTS THOUGHTS THOUGHTS
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple Tesla inspired entries, might have to add more doodads than just a Tesla Coil/Edison battery to make it interesting compared to the other Tesla stuff.