Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help me make a cool animation

bejkon
polygon
Offline / Send Message
bejkon polygon
Hi,

I'm trying to do a cool animation and this is what I got so far. Crits pls.

using DennysAnimationRig.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7179363/01action_DavidG.mov

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The landing needs work, doesn't feel hard enough. and he's kinda "stuck" to the ground too much, you tend to bounce up a little bit after landing a big drop.

If you want to get fancy you can add a little wiggle to the railing he's jumping over at the start.

Have him look to the right before he switches his aim to the right.

The throwing away of the gun looks too forced, not really dropping as he's trying to get away.

Looks awesome overall though. Didn't have a chance to go through it slowly though, I would probably a lot more suggestions, But I'm not an animator, so I can just say what looks weird/off to me.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    great start! here is my crit
    - when he lands from the jump... he has to much body weight in front and would have tumbled forward.

- when he comes up to aim, don't have him put his gun down and then to only bring it back up when he turns. A soldier would never put his gun or guard down unless there was another soldier in front of him. When he aims.

- but when he does come up with his gun to aim the first time.. maybe have a little bit more time of him aiming and his head kinda slightly turning to look around. Then he hears something to his side and turns obviously.

- when he sees the grenade on the ground, and when he turns, his head is kinda looking like a rag doll when trying to turn. have his head move with his shoulders.

- Not sure about him dropping his gun.. holding it one hand might be kinda nice as hes taking a run for it and maybe when hes in mid air the blast goes off and forces his mid waist area to his shoulders to thrust forward with his head THEN being forced back like a rag doll and arms thrown out and then loses his gun in the process?.... With this said he would takes a bit of a ruff hit on the floor like a tumble but then gets up like you have. Just a thought.

- oh yeah, just noticed in the start.. when hes jumping down.. have him looking down. I for one would not be looking up when taking a landing. Nor would a person that does parkour.

Great stuff though! you seem to have great control in your animation work! Keep it up!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    There's a nice couple of landings in [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uxsGHQp5xM"]this clip[/ame].
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    Finally got around making another pass on this one. I managed to screw up the locators, constraints acting up and of course gimbal lock.

Thanks for the comments guys!

ZacD
    Cool suggestion about the railing, I'm going to try it for sure.
    You don't have to be an animator to critique animation, its what feels of to you thats important.

JonathanF
    Your right about not bringing his gun down probably make more sense. But I thought it would look nice with more of an arcing motion. He is now atleast looking around aiming with his gun a bit:P

I think I get what you mean, sounds like a cool idea. In my animation it almost feels like unaffected by the blast.

yeah Snader, I really need to use more refenrece when I'm animating. I'm quite bad at it :poly136:

The gun throw is still there and it's still crap. Also considering redoing his landing from scratch.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7179363/02action_DavidG_LQ.mov (small)
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7179363/02action_DavidG.mov (unnecessary big)

Edit: Faster timing in the roll? How does the camera feel? It's my first try animationg a camera for reals.