Home Technical Talk

3dsMax single axis Orientation Constraint?

Bal
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Bal polycounter lvl 17
Hi, quick (probably noob-ish) question :
I'm pretty comfortable with rigging in Maya, but I'm trying to learn how to do it in Max (mostly just to know that I can), and at the moment I feel like a complete noob.
Is it possible to have an Orientation Constraint that only applies on a single axis? I've looked around online quite a bit already, but just can't seem to find a straight answer / simple solution.

Replies

• SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Bal,
    I'm not an animation expert, but I think you can easily achieve this by using Parameters Wiring, and linking the source single axis parameter to the target object axis parameter. Remember to Freeze Transforms to zero before doing any actual rigging.

Another way, is to use a Script Controller on the single target axis pointing to the source object axis value. In the Script Controller, you should write something like (for X axis):
    -degToRad(source.rotation as EulerAngles).x

Where "source" is the variable holding the source node.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks SyncViewS, that helps!
    Still feels like it's taking me ages to figure out what takes me 5 minutes to set up in Maya, mgah.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure there's also a simple Rotation Constraint controller with checkboxes for enabling/disabling axes. You can assign these from the Animation (iirc) menu, and update/adjust them in the Motion tab.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Nope...sadly there is no Orientation Constraint for a single axis in Max...but Script/Expression Controllers, Parameter Wiring or Reaction Manager can do this quite good...not as fast as setting up a constraint, though...if you want to learn about rigging in Max, get Paul Neales DVDs from CGAcademy...even if you know your way around in rigging in general, you'll leran Max' functions and limitations...and I am sure the one or other little trick...I am still stunned by his Bone Face Rig...circular dependencies and stuff ;)
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    Look in the Hierarchy Panel>IK you got all sorts of axis constraints.
    just enable\disable whatever you like or set specific limits.

Sliding (transformations, for mechanical i.e telescope, or hydraulics)
    or Rotational.

Pretty simple.

I assume what you most probably want to do is this:

Sliding and Rotational Joints (HI Solver)

Create a bone chain. > Apply an HI Solver > Select any bone in the chain. > Open the Hierarchy panel. > IK button

Here are the controls for setting the joint limits when using the HI Solver. You can turn X, Y, or Z axes on or off, limit them, and set those limits here. This is also where the preferred angle is defined, and adjusted. The preferred angle defines the direction a chain will bend, which angle a chain will tend to rotate toward.

also you might want to look for this:
    Joint Controls

Limiting Rotational Joints

Limits for a rotational joint define how far the object can rotate about its parent’s axes. The values in the From and To fields represent the rotation angle about the active axis measured from 0 degrees on the parent object.

For example, an elbow joint rotates the forearm with respect to the upper arm. In the figure the limits on X axis rotation are from 0 to 135 degrees. The Y, Z axes are inactive because an elbow joint rotates about a single axis.