Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Justin Roberts - Environment Artist

So I recently just finished up school.I put together an online portfolio so I figured I would share it and I am always open for comments.I've shown it to a few people and got some feedback so I plan on adding some more stuff as I go along.

http://www.justin-roberts.net/

Replies

• doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Well, I thought it was great up until it took the image 7 seconds to load. The way you have it set up is a bit perplexing, most people would warn against the use of flash. The layout is just fine, and the work is nice, I just don't know about how it's presented.
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I think I am gonna need to ditch lightbox then because I haven't heard anyone really having problems with it but if that is ever an issue I can't have that thanks for the feedback I think today I am gonna get rid of the lightbox stuff.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    waiting 5 seconds on a pin wheel is kind of annoying IMO.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I might be wrong but I thought Lightbox was Javascript based, not flash. I use JSHighslide myself, I don't know how they compete speed wise but I've always gotten compliments on having a fast & easy website.

I like your stuff, you've hit the check boxes for modern & sci-fi, how about a nice nature scene to round things out?
  • dubcanada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to try caching the images so it loads faster, however the overall loading of your site will be slower.

You could also change the file format to gif and try and get it under 200kb's.

Other then that I really like it, very simple and gets the job done.
  • engelmanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    engelmanna polycounter lvl 16
    I use lightbox on my site and don't have any problems with it. I took a peek at your image sizes and that might be where the problem is coming from. I would recommend opening them in photoshop, then going to File->save for web and devices. That does a good job at compressing the images. You also get a realtime preview of your saved image when you change the compression settings.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    solid environments! I like! And yeah, ditch lightbox. Nice work, good luck on the job hunt.
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all your comments I really appreciate it.At this point I think I am just gonna ditch any fancy thing that opens up.I will compress the images better as well.I am just in the process of putting the stuff on a page that way it should be ok.I like lightbox alot but again if its hard to load for one person then it doesn't benefit me and that's no good
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Its takeing long to load. I dont have this problem on my site, so its probably a compression issue or your doing something fancey that nobody knows about~~

Nice work in the end though mate!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Website takes its time to load, like every1 else said.

More work is needed, true but you already know that.
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah im working on it took out lightbox and compressed the images down should run smoother now just sent it to a few buddies they said its running fine.In terms of new work I plan on adding as I go I mean I wanted to get this up because I am looking for work and now school has finished up I have alot more time now to keep fixing and adding.

@Justin - I agree a nice nature scene would hit the spot thank you for the suggestion.

thanks to everyone else for the comments appreciated.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Your work and layout are great. I wish my portfolio was that solid right out of school. Nice job.

Still loading slow for me.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got few crits if you do not mind-

1) You need to arrange the Sci-fi scenes together and the 'Middle Eastern/Realistic' scenes together.

2) Put your website address on your images, the name and the title aren't just enough. Especially if others try to google, it is too much of a hastle and they will not necessarily find the link.

3) The texturing on the 'Sci-fi Corridor' doesn't make sense. The ceiling has too much damage to be scratched like that same goes for the red cross.

I hope all these help, good luck on the job hunt!