Home General Discussion

moving and working

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
beartraps polycounter lvl 8
I'm thinking about moving to the left coast if I can't find work down in South Florida when I graduate, I have 3 questions:

1) Is it worth moving to where the industry is and looking for a job door to door rather than rather than sending your reel/resume to companies/studios from another location and saying you are willing to relocate?

2) This is probably something that gets asked a lot here, but exactly how hard is it to find work in this industry? I know we're in a recession and that's impacting the jobs available, but what I have been told has been basically this: "If your work is good and you know a few people, you'll be fine." This seems comforting to know, but I see people on this site who have some amazing work, have some experience, and seem to know a lot of people, yet are unemployed...

3) There seem to be a lot of misconceptions at my school about working these jobs. A lot of people seem to think that you find a job as a junior artist and that's it, you'll be at this company for awhile so long as you keep up your work. But it seems that most of the time artists are working temporary contract positions and then let go to find another contract position. My question is: What percentage of work or hirings are for positions with companies that will potentially allow you to move up or stay with the company and what percentage are temporary positions? I may also be misinformed too so please correct me if I sound like a fool =)

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if you cant find a job, instead of wasting time moving, use that time to work on your art and improve as much as you can.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I'm going to second what Johny said and add that I'm not sure South Florida is the best solution for you unless you enjoy military simulation. I'm doing the best I can to get OUT of Florida where the jobs are. So, what makes you think South Florida is a good choice?

Regarding your second statement- I'd imagine it depends on what you're looking for. Some people wouldn't consider working for an iphone game their ideal job so to say.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to second what Johny said and add that I'm not sure South Florida is the best solution for you unless you enjoy military simulation. I'm doing the best I can to get OUT of Florida where the jobs are. So, what makes you think South Florida is a good choice?

You misunderstood what I asked. I live in South Florida already so if I can find a job here, cool, if not then I would want to move. I agree, this is not the place to be.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    beartraps wrote: »
    You misunderstood what I asked. I live in South Florida already so if I can find a job here, cool, if not then I would want to move. I agree, this is not the place to be.

Ah, whoops! Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, there certainly isn't much around here :(
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    beartraps, I just sold all my shit back in Australia (house included) to move to the United States to find work. Don't get me wrong, it's been fun and I'm glad I'm here. But it has in no way helped me find work.
    Sure, I haven't applied for a single job yet as I'm working on my folio, but I could have done all of this back in Australia and would have saved myself a tonne of time and money.

If you're looking for a change of scenery, then go for it, man! But don't move to look for work, because chances are you'll get hired in some completely different state and have to move again.

You've got some nice stuff in your folio, and to me I think your weakness lies with your texturing.
    Comparing your first character and your recent, the improvement is massive. Yet both are just sculpts... You haven't taken them down to game-res level and textured them. Which to me emphasises the weakness in texturing.

Also you seem to have a mixture of environment, prop and character work. It's all well and good having varied strengths in different areas of 3D and it's awesome if you want a job at a place like Liquid Development (or other art outsource studios). But for a strong folio (in my opinion), you need to define the role you want and focus on that. No point having 3 good pieces of art (1 character, 1 environment, 1 prop) when you could have 2 refined environment or character pieces.

Quality over Quantity.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Move somewhere because you want to live in that area, not because it might help you get a job.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    If you live within driving distance, you have a better chance of getting a job over someone who isn't local. From my experience, door to door isn't a valid technique in this industry, you aren't going to be let in if you walk up to a studio with your portfolio. You'll have to go through the normal channels, i.e. applying online or knowing someone.

The advantage that local has is that they don't have to pay relocation, interviews, especially onsite can happen faster and cheaper, and you can start sooner. But all that stuff only factors in once you pass the first few stages of interviews/art tests, so I think its only really a factor at the end of the process when they are weighing candidates of equal skill.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil: Thank you for the insight and crit, that helps a lot =)