Home Technical Talk

how do you think Ashley Did this?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
ashleyjukes-captain-america-bust.jpg

How do you guys think she did the Scales? some sort of Displacement map? I am trying to figure it out. You guys have any insight?

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    very, very carefully and tediously :P
    i doubt a displacement map, but easily could be
    why don't you just ask her yourself? you're high up enough on the awesome chain that i would think she would be kind enough to divulge a slight hint or two
    if i was going to do it, i would use a plugin to insert instanced/duplicated meshes which makes it hella easy and fairly quick (see this thread for plugins/scripts in both maya and max: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=64248)
    it appears very well thought out, so that would be my guess.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Perhaps with the 3dsmax's array placement?
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I know how to do this with Mudbox and Max, all you have to do is tile the scales over the uv's of the shirt (helps to square uv's) and then bake them as a displacement over a plane with the displacement for the shirt already loaded on it in Mudbox.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iron Bear, I don't think I understand, are you saying to get a plane with the scales already displaced (through a painted displacement map) and then that somehow transfers to the highpoly model?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is why I think they are individual meshes.
    cap_scale1.jpg
    Redish color being the pedestal-esque part of the bust... yellowish being the same pedestal mesh, but where you can see gaps revealing the base
    this area also shows the scales overhanging this part, which also leads me to believe it is inserted meshes. you could attach them all and export them out as their own subtool to work within the sculpting app
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Well, Zbrush 3.5 has the scales brush, so that plus a nice alpha and some brush modifier tweaks would be my guess as far as sculpting. The rendering methods are anybody's guess.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    She made 1 scale and placed each one by hand. (This is confirmed.)
  • Bryan Cavett
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    She made 1 scale and placed each one by hand. (This is confirmed.)

damn.... by hand sucks ass hole. and here you were bitchin' about placing individual rivets on your airplanes :P
  • ashleyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, Adam for the win! And it did suck!!

Sorry, I didn't reply to you earlier Josh, I've been really busy!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh, I'll try to explain it better.

You start with the higpoly shirt you want to add scales too.

Unwrap the shirt (level 0) and square the uv's

In Max create the tileable scales and make a plane (with the uv's of the highpoly shirt as a guide,or you can use an AO bake as a guide to arrange them.

Back in mudbox load in the plane and Scales. Bake a 32-bit displacement of the Scales into the plane.

Since the scales are arranged in the proper area for the highpoly shirt's uv's when you load them in as a displacement layer, they will fit perfectly.

Hope that explains it!

edit: corrected AO part.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    You must have at least had some kind of script that kept them aligned to the normal of the underlying mesh, right?
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, each scale by hand is hardcore :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be tempted to use TexTools UV/3D swap. Then skinwrap the flattened scales to the flattened 3D object and warp it back into a solid 3D object.

I think there's a tutorial somewhere about a old lady wearing a sweater where each and every loop of the sweater was a 3D object, the guy used the same technique but used something different to convert it from flat to 3D.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    how about using advance painter?
    or wait for max 2011 :)

there are many ways but eventually, i doubt that you will get the same nice and evenly distributed result if you don't do some tedious manual tweaking.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Vig wrote: »
    I would be tempted to use TexTools UV/3D swap. Then skinwrap the flattened scales to the flattened 3D object and warp it back into a solid 3D object.

I think there's a tutorial somewhere about a old lady wearing a sweater where each and every loop of the sweater was a 3D object, the guy used the same technique but used something different to convert it from flat to 3D.

Conform modifiers to an object he warped back to the proper shape?

I vaguely remember that too.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Vig, i'll try that out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk wrote: »
    how about using advance painter?
    or wait for max 2011 :)

there are many ways but eventually, i doubt that you will get the same nice and evenly distributed result if you don't do some tedious manual tweaking.
    Soulburns Object painter would work a lot better than advanced painter. I don't mean to bash on a script that is above what I can put together but Neil did such an amazing job I can't go back to advance painter. His spline painter script put advance painter to shame.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig/GarageBay9, see Bryan Cavett's links
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I hope you didn't count the scales as you you doing it:) then get to 8000 then sneeze and have to start again
    very nicely done BTW
    I would try and flatten the mesh to the uv layout then skinwrap the flat scales to the flattened mesh it and morph it back in to 3d.
    Not sure if that would work.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    next time you better double displace that shit
    theoretical images for showing
    first you displace for shape, and second for overlaps
    doubledisp.png
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vector displacement maps?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgsXKBfxaWs[/ame]

This might help you understand how. At 4:18
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    I believe.. although I haven't tried it myself... that in ZBrush if you have UV'ed your base mesh you can project a texture onto the mesh as alpha/mask.

Using the deformation tools you should then be able to manipulate the geometry to what you want.

I do remember seeing a video of the workflow but I've completely forgot where I saw it... :|
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Thats the funny thing about all these shortcuts ... they work very well for strict patterns, but for something like those scales I think she took the best route - raw power. I tested the displacement/UV thing in mud ... and while it does look very accurate, it would never ever beat the quality of the hand-placed feathers on that Cap, following the curves of the anatomy just right. Plus, I think the very subtle happy accidents and variations created by the hand placement are great.

Congrats!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig/GarageBay9, see Bryan Cavett's links
    Opps yea that's it! I was trying to find those very same links.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I wrote a similar script to the SlideKnit one, for Maya. It's pretty handy for stuff like this. Personally I think doing it by hand is quite a waste of time if you have scripts like this - you can simply model a basic shape, use Array to get everything aligned and duplicated nicely, then wrap it down to the final shape. Way, way faster than doing it by hand, and the result will be 99% the same.

I don't really think Pior is right here that doing it by hand is the "best way" for this thing. It's just a waste of time compared to what you could be doing.

Sure for more unique or less repetitive stuff you can do it by hand to get total control, but for something regular and generic like this, by hand just seems like the tiresome route.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great thread, added it to the wiki
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Digital_Sculpting

MoP, are you gonna make a scripts page on your site? And maybe release this melscript? Would be handy!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    EricChadwick: Working on it... :)

The original thread when I released that script is here: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=852366&posted=1
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Nice to know its not some trick, the simplest ways are sometimes the best.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I'm with pior. I've never been able to get good results using the mask / push method. At least not for something that needs to be nice and crisp AND overlap like this. Good ol' fashioned modeling seems to get the best results for me, either using the duplicate along path workflow or just placing it all be hand and keeping plenty of coffee on hand.

Gav
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well yeah Mop I did try the 'smart' technique : laying down nice overlapping scales on a square, extracting 16bit depth using MRGBZGrabber, applying that as displacement on nice relaxed UVs ... but for this one scenario, even with the added controls of the editable UV mapping ... it just didnt look that good. Technically perfect, but lacking the organic flow of the OP.

Just my thoughts!
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive tried many methods of doing this with masks or transfering displacements or wahtever, but it always ends up looking screwed up. WEll it works great fro props and stuff, mostly non-hero assets, but for something like this you gotta just model it.
    For this i would have extracted curves from the edge loops, then just duplicate along path. And i suppose you could use a surface array, but doing it loop by loop would most likely yield the best control.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I am still messing with the slide tools and The painter plug ins. My question now, is if I were to do it by hand like Ashley did, Do you think she used some sort of snap? so the scale conformed to the surface? So she could just shift+Drag the scales into place?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    My question now, is if I were to do it by hand like Ashley did, Do you think she used some sort of snap? so the scale conformed to the surface? So she could just shift+Drag the scales into place?

either that or she has way too much time on her hands :P something like the maya - 'make live' function on the parent surface should do the trick.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I did it one by one like she did and was in Maya not using 3rd party scripts/plugs, I would use a fairly evenly distributed medium-high res mesh and use Live as a starting point for each scale. Snap to the verts and edges once I modified the pivot of the original scale to the best location to yeild the best end result, even if that meant the scale intersected with the underlying mesh (a good thing anyway if you're going to get it printed, which this was). Once snapped, and a good few of them are placed, I would go back and manually tweak each one to be right where I wanted it. Once a good amount of them are placed, you could probably start selecting one or two rows at a time, duplicate them up, and then go back and tweak each one because they'll snap pretty quick with Live and using an Object Space movement, you could probably slide them around pretty quick as well... rotational patterns wouldn't hold, but yeah..... and I'm guessing you're using Max since you said "shift-drag" ?

Worthless wall of text if that's the case.

Would still take forever. Can't get over the fact that she did it 1 by 1. Best result, but still... the time in that.... she's a master of patience.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Well yeah Mop I did try the 'smart' technique : laying down nice overlapping scales on a square, extracting 16bit depth using MRGBZGrabber, applying that as displacement on nice relaxed UVs ... but for this one scenario, even with the added controls of the editable UV mapping ... it just didnt look that good. Technically perfect, but lacking the organic flow of the OP.

Just my thoughts!

Pior, I wasn't talking about ZBrush workflows, I wouldn't use ZBrush for something like this because it would be so many polys to get something looking "solid" and not "soft"... I'm talking about using proper instanced geometry in your 3d app and deforming it as Bryan Cavett's links showed. Way faster and still nice and editable, and super-sharp. Nice thing about that method is you can still tweak the individual meshes by hand afterwards if you want some random bits or uniqueness in your final result.