Home General Discussion

New 21" Cintiq is out

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
Don't know if anyone posted this already but the new Cintiq is out and it is snazzy :D

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/cintiq-21ux.php

Replies

• Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooghijmiqtxxa polycounter lvl 17
    I love the way this new one looks. I want to sell my old one and buy the new one just because it's black. Yeah, I'm one of those.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    One day, Cintiq, when I am rich... (ok, not rich, well off enough) you and your beauty shall be mine... mmmm....
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Didn't this come out a month ago? Anyway it's really nice. If I'm able to get a good deal I might get one. Will probably end up getting one of the last generation ones though.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Didn't this come out a month ago? Anyway it's really nice. If I'm able to get a good deal I might get one. Will probably end up getting one of the last generation ones though.

Cintiq 21" was on display at conventions but didn't come out til April.

One thing I like about it is that it has more sensitivity than the last Cintiq. And the screen has a nicer gloss. I wish I could get it. Someone buy my old one D=
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    That same page was up on their site for the past 3 weeks though and there have been ebay auctions going on with them for at least the last few days.

Anyway are you serious about selling yours? Is it a 2009 Cintiq 21ux? I might be interested if you're serious.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    That same page was up on their site for the past 3 weeks though and there have been ebay auctions going on with them for at least the last few days.

Anyway are you serious about selling yours? Is it a 2009 Cintiq 21ux? I might be interested if you're serious.

Yeah I'd be ok selling it. I bought it a year ago, still has the original box and cables, stand etc. Nothing is wrong with it, I'm just hungry to upgrade ;)

Feel free to PM me your contact info either email or IM.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i got a boner from the image. then the 2000 price tag killed my boner. that thing costs as much as a killer gaming rig
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    probably going to pick one of these up. not all that excited about the touch strips being on the back... i like them on the front.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    probably going to pick one of these up. not all that excited about the touch strips being on the back... i like them on the front.

I actually love the strips being in the back. I had to disable the right one one my Cintiq because my hand kept brushing over it which zoomed in / out of my work.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I agree, my cintiq is perfect and the only complaint I have with it is the touchstrips being in the front. This is a step in the right direction, albeit, a small step. :P
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    $1999/1999euro? Hey Wacom. Fuck you!
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I'd have to look at a review from someone who knows what they are talking about first. Comments from people with the old Cintiq 21" who's looked at the specs seem to think most issues from the old model will still be there (too warm vs. not bright enough and too laggy).

That's just from looking at the specs, though, so either hands-on experience or a trusted reviewer (someone who hasn't paid with their own money for it) seems needed..
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    East wrote: »
    I'd have to look at a review from someone who knows what they are talking about first. Comments from people with the old Cintiq 21" who's looked at the specs seem to think most issues from the old model will still be there (too warm vs. not bright enough and too laggy).

That's just from looking at the specs, though, so either hands-on experience or a trusted reviewer (someone who hasn't paid with their own money for it) seems needed..

Ditto. I've always considered saving up for one of these, but other than the price issue these problems really turn me off. Especially the brightness issues, it can get really dark and colors look a bit washed off. Not cool.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Super wrote: »
    $1999/1999euro? Hey Wacom. Fuck you!

hah, yeah that's messed up. That's about $700 MORE for you euros. That's jacked.

I'd love to pick up a Cintiq when I can afford it, but that won't be for a long time.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Can't you have someone buy it in the USA and ship it to you?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Huh? Is there something I'm missing here. Why is is still 4:3? Shouldn't it be widescreen. With screen rotation, wouldn't that be better?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Frump : no.
    (when working on characters, that is!). I wish it was more than 1600*1200 tho, since for sketching it doesnt feel as accurate as pencil and paper. It's fine at emulating ink pens/felt tips tho.

By the way, brightness and lag comments must come from an 'older older' version of the 21. The latest grey one before the new black redesign has absolutely none of these problems.

Heat I am not sure. Sometimes it bothers me alot and I aim a fan at it to cool it down, sometimes it just stays cool. I think it depends on the AC in the room, overall outside temperature and so on.

I am curious about the improved pressure levels. But for them to work, Wacom need to improve their recent terrible drivers. Some behave VERY differently than others, almost feels like a different piece of hardware sometimes.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    The order for my Cintiq at the office was put out months ago and eventually placed on backorder. Now, although I've gone through a number of tablets, this is my first Cintiq, so I'm not very familiar with them. When the Cintiq finally arrived I was kind of confused at first when my coworker's responses shifted from "it's about time, congrats" to "oh what, DAMN YOU!" Apparently the delay resulted in an unexpected bump up to the newest model and I was the first in the office to get one.

So, the moral of this story is: Hooray!
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    Cintiq is awesome.. but since i can't buy it right now.. i'm fine with a wireless intuos4 as well :)

Truth is though it will return the investment in relatively short time.
    It's not meant for gamers or underaged enthusiasts, it's for professional artists and studios who make money out of it!

Cheers!
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Frump : no.
    (when working on characters, that is!). I wish it was more than 1600*1200 tho, since for sketching it doesnt feel as accurate as pencil and paper. It's fine at emulating ink pens/felt tips tho.

By the way, brightness and lag comments must come from an 'older older' version of the 21. The latest grey one before the new black redesign has absolutely none of these problems.

Heat I am not sure. Sometimes it bothers me alot and I aim a fan at it to cool it down, sometimes it just stays cool. I think it depends on the AC in the room, overall outside temperature and so on.

I am curious about the improved pressure levels. But for them to work, Wacom need to improve their recent terrible drivers. Some behave VERY differently than others, almost feels like a different piece of hardware sometimes.

-They discontinued the wide screen cintiq (20wsx) AFAIK because they ran out of a rare part.

-There is still pen lag, but not too significant and easy to get used too (speaking from the 20wsx)

-Hopefully they fixed the heat problem, I know in the summer the top left corner is unbearable even for a short amount of time, but you hardly use that space anyway. (unless your a lefty)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    ZacD wrote: »
    Can't you have someone buy it in the USA and ship it to you?
    Depends. Only way to get it through would be to declare it as a "gift" and even then that's spotty when something comes in the mail in retail packaging. Then you'd end up paying the tax anyways. First time I did it, I put the receipt in the same box. Friend had to pay up when it was delivered (Netherlands). So the next time I sent something, she said send it in a non-retail box and then put the receipt/accessories in another box. So I took the retail box, inverted it and put the equipment in there. She got it just fine. Then I sent the accessories/warranty card/receipt.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Where's my 10 simultaneous input multitouch Cintiq?!
    I'm getting one of those suckers as soon as there out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTK8UMcmlME[/ame]
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I've a serious question. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to poo poo on the new Cintiq.

Is there much point to it having 2048 pressure levels? Even 1024, for that matter?

I haven't used painter in years, but Photoshop only has 100 increments in it's opacity range, which should carry on into colour too, no?

So, in what app would 2048 levels of pressure be useful?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Glynn : imagine yourself wanting to use the tablet at low pressure (pressure slider to the left). If you have few overall pressure levels, then you would have very very few in the low pressure range. That's my understanding anyways... Like, if the overall is 2048, then at low pressure you are given like 512 increments. As opposed to 256 if the total was 1024. But maybe im wrong, not sure...

I know that switching from Graphire1 to Intuos2 felt like a big improvement, but maybe it's not just about the levels but merely a curve pressure change. Who knows!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Well other than improving the sensitivity and making it more ergonomic, there isnt much else to make better on the current gen wacoms :P.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Ah. Cheers guys :) Makes sense.