Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Gladiator Challenge - Ralph Fernandez(Thunder)

Thunder
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Thunder polycounter lvl 8
First off, hello polycount. I'm a long time stalker and game art student in Ft. Lauderdale. I have a big mouth but never actually entered a challenge so I figured this would be a good opportunity to learn.

My choice: Blizzard

Blizzard got me started on gaming and has ruined me ever since ;)

My concept i'll have to describe because I can't actually draw concepts very well(yet).

Blizzard, the name wreaks of ice. Blizzard has always been a company to release things at a slow pace so the cold naturally suites them. They have never shown weakness in their firmness for release dates(or lack of). They do things on their schedule to make sure that everything is executed perfectly.

My vision of the Blizzard gladiator is female. She is sexy but cold. She is the girl who is too good to go out with you but if you get your hands on her she brings you nothing but pride by just being next to her. I see her wearing armor similar to the Lich King. Scratched and void of positive emotion, she waits patiently for the perfect time to strike. Her weapon? I could think of nothing better than a bow. Firm and steady she takes aim and holds out for the "perfect shot".

I have a few references.

This is the drow ranger from DotA. Similar but too flimsy and emotional to be Blizzard.
DrowRangermjpg.jpg

The lich king is my armor and weapon reference. It just screams "give me your soul so I can throw it away" lol
wotlk_arthas_pose.jpg

female archer pose
archer-bains.jpg

I'll be working from a female base mesh that I literally just finished retopping before starting this. It's not great but I'll fix it up.
testbasemesh.jpg

cool female plate mail design that I'm reeeeeeeally digging
El-F-Plate+111995.JPG

Thats all for now. I'll post some WIP shots as I go.
Programs used will be 3ds Max and ZBrush 3.5

Thanks,
Thunder

Replies