GDC: See how Naughty Dog made dudes in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Jay Evans
polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice link, thanks for sharing.

I have a question though to those in the know.

When he talks about the Mudbox workflow, he says he did the polypaint within Mudbox and then I kinda got lost when he's talking about it working well with Photoshop and then he didn't talk about transferring the polypaint.

So with that workflow, if the hi res sculpt is polypainted before the mesh is unwrapped, how do you then bring in the retopo'd mesh that does have UV's if you see what I mean?

I'm a ZBrush user and not really familiar with Mudbox (although I've been meaning to check it out) and can't see how you'd transfer a polypaint from a sculpt that isn't unwrapped, to a retopo'd mesh that was created in a different app (Maya in this case),

Unless I'm missing something.

Hopefully I explained that badly enough so you're as confused as I am about the polypaint workflow.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    creationtwentytwo: I don't think Mudbox uses "polypaint" as you're thinking of it, it actually paints proper textures (which is more useful, really!), so yes, you need UVs on your sculpt. Fortunately it's really easy to UV the control mesh of a base sculpt (even after you've sculpted it) so your textures will just be applied to that UV layout. You can then bake them however you want.

It was a nice demo video, those guys know what they're talking about. It was nice to see a few parallels with the workflows we've been developing at our studio too.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks MoP, but... I still don't get it. (Feel free to facepalm).

So you need to UV the base mesh, paint the sculpt, and then it transfers to the in game retopo'd model? Wait.. what? Lol I'm still confused.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well yes, you can transfer textures between any meshes with UVs using baking tools. If your sculpt is UV'ed and has a texture, you can bake that to a different mesh (in this case, low-poly game mesh). Basic stuff.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yea, you need to unwrap the sculpt, but the benefit is that you can then save out your maps with layers as a psd and work in photoshop (in mud2011 at least, in mud2010/2009 the layers have to exported individually). They bake the maps from the high to the low in xnormal, so they get the normal + diffuse at the same time and it remains seamless.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ok thanks for the replies.

I didn't realise you could bake the diffuse... so you have your sculpted and painted high res, then you stick both that and the retopo'd / unwrapped mesh into Xnormal and you get out the diffuse / normal / whatever else from XNormal?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice find. Nifty to look at ... even not being a character artist. That tool he wrote seems nifty too.

WTB that UV script and realtime UV editor display of UV warping... looks like Roadkill but 20 times better and inside of Maya.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    creationtwentytwo: Thats about the just of it. You can do map transfers like that in Max/Maya/etc. also, its not something thats new or exclusive to xnormal.

Progg: Its been available online for about 2 years now, called DiamantUV. Can get it here.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    What tool did the guy mention about how he did the low poly mesh? Is that Nex?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, it's not NEX -_-

Read the post I made above yours...Its called DiamantUV, and yes, despite the name its for more then just UVs.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Wow.. never knew that existed :-O Thanks!

.... Damn no love for Maya 8 :(
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    No, it's not NEX -_-

Read the post I made above yours...Its called DiamantUV, and yes, despite the name its for more then just UVs.

whoops. Thought it was UV only :(
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    That plugin works like silo, pretty damn cool. I love it when the TA whispers to the Character Artist 'dont talk shit about Autodesk' :D

I wonder how AD felt about all the 3rd party stuff :)
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I was personally wondering how much of the Mudbox part was just thrown in for Autodesk/GDC, seeing how Rich Diamant started a big U2:AT thread at ZBC and seems to show many of his assets in it on his site. Interesting video regardless.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    slick vid... thanks for posting!
    right ch'ere! (that shit is awesome)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    thx for the link!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand xNormal! wohoooooooooo :)

definitely some cool tools