Home General Discussion

Wizarding World Of Harry Potter

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
notman polycounter lvl 18
http://media.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/news.php?id=18

The official Grand Opening date for the new Universal Orlando park was released today. Anyone planning to go? I'm taking the family there May 30th, which I booked when they first started offering HP packages a few weeks ago. Supposedly, I'm still going to have the "Harry Potter Experience", but we'll see.
I was kinda pissed when they announced the Grand Opening so far after the time they allowed me to schedule "Harry Potter" packages. I also hardly consider June 18th to be 'Spring of 2010", considering it's only 3 days prior to the start of Summer :P

This article has some images from inside the park: http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2010/3/25/wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-to-open-june-18-details-about-hogwarts-emerge

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i used to live in Tampa, been to all the parks there numerous times. I guess I'm burned out, I rarely ever get the money investment of fun out of them. If I had kids, I might see the draw but upwards of a hundred bucks for a ticket per person is a bit much. If you go, go on an off day like tuesday when there's less people it's a little more worth it because of less foot traffic and wait lines, although I'm sure harry potter will be packed especially because it's new.

I used to work at Busch Gardens, Tampa as a caricaturist so I guess that adds to my negativity of theme parks. :D Although it was awesome going to work everyday and waving to the chimps and gorillas... :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My girlfriend is a Harry Potter nut so we'll probably be there on opening day.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been to that exact Busch Gardens, and swore I'd never go to one again after that. It was expensive to get in, they close really early IMO (6pm I believe), and then it rained for an hour while we were there. The rain wouldn't have been much of an issue, but after we waited another hour for things to restart/dry up, they then announced that they were going to close the park early. WTF? If the rides were now dry, why close the park?

Anyway, we'll be there for the whole week (May 30th to June 4). We plan to have 2 days of down time, then spend 4 in the parks. I'm hoping there's enough to keep us occupied that long. We usually go do Disney, where a week isn't enough, but Universal doesn't have as many attractions.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    June!? wanted to go there for my bday in may! hahahah.

maybe next year :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    I've been to that exact Busch Gardens, and swore I'd never go to one again after that. It was expensive to get in, they close really early IMO (6pm I believe), and then it rained for an hour while we were there. The rain wouldn't have been much of an issue, but after we waited another hour for things to restart/dry up, they then announced that they were going to close the park early. WTF? If the rides were now dry, why close the park?

Anyway, we'll be there for the whole week (May 30th to June 4). We plan to have 2 days of down time, then spend 4 in the parks. I'm hoping there's enough to keep us occupied that long. We usually go do Disney, where a week isn't enough, but Universal doesn't have as many attractions.

but the free beeeeer! I heard they closed down the Beer Gardens, which makes me a sad panda.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i loved the books and i've been trying to get my wife to read them (who's much more of a reader than i am), but doubt i'd be able to fork over the cash for a trip like this anytime soon.
    take an ass load of pictures!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the backlots are awesome for photo ref for modular building sets.. :D
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pics will happen :)

We use our tax return for a trip every year. The kids provide a great return :D
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know which vacation was better - the year we went to universal studios or the year I went to visit my aunt in pinehurst nc and I got to take a tour of Epic ( although I don't remember much of it because I was in shock)

Anyway, univeral is a blast! I miss all the nickeloden stuff though... figure it out backstage tour ftw!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hahah awesome!!!

For a second, I thought this thread might be about the new Harry Potter exhibit the Toronto Science Centre will be getting... but I was like, that's hardly epic?? This sounds much more epic :P

Do you suppose they'll have a restaurant where you can order butter beer?!?!?! Man, I've ALWAYS wanted to try that stuff. I can almost picture what it'd taste like. Mmmmmmm.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butter Beer? Don't listen to all the fake recipes calling for ice-cream or root beer, here's the original Tudor recipe:

Ingredients
    500ml ale
    Yolks from 2 medium eggs, whisked
    60g sugar
    Dash of nutmeg
    15g unsalted butter

Method: How to make butterbeer
    Pour the ale into a warm pan on a medium heat. When the beer begins to come to the boil take off the heat and add the whisked egg yolks, sugar and nutmeg.

Return the pot to a low heat (to stop the eggs from scrambling) and stir for 2 minutes. Take off the heat and whisk in the butter. Decant into your finest flagon and chug

I haven't made it yet, I'm going to try brewing a batch of small ale around Christmas so I can make some butter beer that is as close to non-alcoholic as I can get it.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I haven't made it yet, I'm going to try brewing a batch of small ale around Christmas so I can make some butter beer that is as close to non-alcoholic as I can get it.

what is this insanity that you speak of?!?
    i'm embarrassed.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Holy shit I think I need to try to make that one day.

Thank you, sir, I am saving this recipe and will pray for its delicious success... :D
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd think boiling beer would get rid of all of the alcohol anyway.
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    I used to live literally right next to Universal and worked on the back lot at an animation school. Was a blast to take breaks and ride some rides whenever I wanted.

I miss the palm trees...... :(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'd think boiling beer would get rid of all of the alcohol anyway.

This, there's beer bread and it wont get your kids drunk.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    oh snap I love harry potter, god im such a loser.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Alright, I realised I had all the ingredients for this butter beer madness, so I've made myself a pot. I've got a mug of it right here. I have yet to taste it.

Ok. here goes...

...not bad.
    It's really sweet. I think probably half the sugar would be about right for my tastes. I do kinda feel like I'm drinking cake batter. Beyond that though, the flavour is quite nice. I don't know whether it's nicer than the bottle of James Squire Amber Ale I ruined to make it, but it's not bad. I wonder what mixing a little uncooked beer into it would taste like.

I'll report back if I become violently ill shortly.

EDIT: Do not mix uncooked beer back into the butter beer. Result is not pleasant. I'm wondering whether a more bitter beer might work better. The Amber Ale is pretty rich and malty to begin with, so it might be throwing off the flavours somewhat.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    beer.. butter.. eggs.. charlatans.....
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    Do you suppose they'll have a restaurant where you can order butter beer?!?!?! Man, I've ALWAYS wanted to try that stuff. I can almost picture what it'd taste like. Mmmmmmm.

Yes... yes it will :)
    the site wrote:
    And all those Potterphiles who've been waiting for the day they could peer into the Gryffindor House common room, soar on Harry's broomstick or quaff a butter beer in the Hog's Head pub will not be disappointed.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    "Potterphiles"

wtf, horrible term hahahaha

I just want some Harry Potter schwag :) Totally buying a Gryffindor banner
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I..I want to go so bad. Been looking forward to this for a while now, one way or the other I'm gonna have to make a trip down happen.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    i'd temper the eggyolks before i'd throw them in there. will be hard enough to not get them to scramble right away if that stuff was just boiling!

on topic: not as much into harry potter, but this looks like the perfect place to take environment ref pictures. it's like... concept art come to life.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    My girlfriend is a Harry Potter nut so we'll probably be there on opening day.
    +1

Oh the joy.

^^
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im definitely going with my family
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I know this is raising the dead, but we just got back from our trip. I figured I'd share some stuff from it. I still need to post images (if you're interested), but here is a video from Ollivander's shop:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=132722843407017

The attention to detail was amazing. The area was a bit small/cramped though, especially since right now, they were only running limited viewing (for people who purchased the HP package). I did get pissed though, because I was 'too tall' for 'The Forbidden Journey' ride(the new ride in Hogwarts). They waited until I was half way through the line, to pull me aside and kick me out to the gift shop. Then, in the gift shop, I was repeatedly asked by staff what I thought of the ride. You'd think they'd be aware that some people were getting rejected (overweight need not try also). The stupid thing needed 2 more clicks, and my chest/shoulders were stopping it. The test seat seemed to have latched me, but not far enough to please them. My family loved the ride though.

Oh, and the butterbeer was damn good. My daughter tried their pumpkin juice and didn't really like it, but I heard people at other tables raving about it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Butter Beer? Don't listen to all the fake recipes calling for ice-cream or root beer, here's the original Tudor recipe:

Ingredients
    500ml ale
    Yolks from 2 medium eggs, whisked
    60g sugar
    Dash of nutmeg
    15g unsalted butter

Method: How to make butterbeer
    Pour the ale into a warm pan on a medium heat. When the beer begins to come to the boil take off the heat and add the whisked egg yolks, sugar and nutmeg.

Return the pot to a low heat (to stop the eggs from scrambling) and stir for 2 minutes. Take off the heat and whisk in the butter. Decant into your finest flagon and chug

if it was an original tudor recipe, it would be in lb and oz, not grams.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The breakfast is pretty damn good. I didn't try the butterbeer recipe posted here, but I thought it was damn good. It's hard to describe the taste of the liquid part, but it's very sweet. Many were saying it's sort of like creme soda, but to me, it tasted like a 'boston cooler' if you know what that is. The 'head' of the drink is a butterscotch froth, and that was pretty obvious.
    29913_131740370171931_100000079055276_368609_3192884_n.jpg

29913_132810116731623_100000079055276_375138_726429_n.jpg

29913_132810063398295_100000079055276_375129_6722608_n.jpg

29913_132810076731627_100000079055276_375132_2585737_n.jpg

My whole album is here: (let me know if it's not visible to you)
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=23214&id=100000079055276
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    traditional english breakfast lol...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if it was an original tudor recipe, it would be in lb and oz, not grams.

Gotta get that post count up?

It was from an article by a British chef.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    My whole album is here: (let me know if it's not visible to you)
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=23214&id=100000079055276

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    traditional english breakfast lol...

Well the Full English has been around for well over 150yrs, so i think its pretty hard to get more traditional than that.

@notman
    Nice pics!

My GF and I are looking to go over there next year...looking pretty sweet :D
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Try this link: http://picasaweb.google.com/notman05/UniversalStudios2010#

I uploaded them last night, to my google hosting. I wasn't sure if facebook was going to work correctly for everyone, so apparently it didn't ;)