Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bolter WIP

madmuffin
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
bolterstart.png

Missing most of the fixings so far and the colors are off. A block-out start. Love to hear crits from people who know more about Warhammer. I don't play it, I just like the look of the gun.

Replies

• Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warhammer 40k is the bad boy of universes, why is there not a big budget movie!

This looks too chunky to me... i'd be modelling off the pictures in the books more than the lead minatures... and be extrapolating the idea.

seems too boxy to be like a next gen bolter.... although i seen a lot of 40k stuff modelled looking overtly boxy. Taste it;s taste, but the restrictions on lead figures doesn't translate so well to next gen games IMHO, unless you start to take stuff further. I think anyway...

Like the 40k geek I was in a past life. :poly136:
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    looks alright, dude. any wires?

also i was working on a bolter myself yesterday, from the same concept by the looks of it. funny coincidence :)

edit: Willburforce: you might like this: http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/

edit: also, you might find this useful. not sure if it's accurate to what a real bolter is supposed to look like, but i liked it:

Bolter.bmp
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup: i think i just came. Will be watching out for that for sure.

I wouldn't build the wiki bolter :
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Bolter

The bolt pistol on Flaringos link ULtramarine movie is a nicer design, next level stuff!

The old school... mark 6 ... if my memory still serves. Now THAT's a bolter.

291017085_eed6f7e91c.jpg
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update!

bolterupdate.png

I rounded out the bottom of the exhaust or grip or whatever you want to call it. While this may not be technically correct I think it really helps to make it feel less blocky.

Also added some bolts, they stick out too much right now I think, and the obvious is that they need to be rotated non-uniformly.

As for wires this is just a highpoly so its mostly a mess of Sub-D and control lines, so there is nothing to see there really.

And @Willburforce, I like the Bolt Pistol too, it doesn't seem a whole lot different in terms of what makes it up so maybe when I am done this one I can reshape it a little bit into the pistol.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bolternewest.png

Another update, wires this time too. Not really sure where I am going with it now though, I might turn those blocks and stuff on the back into intrusions instead of having them stick out like that.

I don't know a whole lot about guns so I am a little lost what I am missing or what certain things are supposed to be. Crits welcome.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    looks alright. i cant think of anything to criticize.

out of curiosity, what do you plan to do with it?
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good so far, but what's really going to make this a kick ass model is the texture. Most Warhammer 40K stuff (well, the Space Marine style anyway) is pretty blocky to begin with so don't worry too much about it. The texture will be what sells the 40K feel.

Here's a good example of someone who did it right in my opinion:
    500x_untitled-9.jpg
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neat gun, that helps loads and gives me an idea what direction I should be taking it. I still got some work to do on the high poly after looking at this, just have to try not to end up imitating that one and taking it in my own direction.

40k really is all about the grimdark feeling and the busted up, scratched metal feel. I'll be sure to capture that in my texture once I get that far.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    This could look awesome with some busted up chips and dents on those hard metal edges.

reminds me i have a land raider that i really should finish :)

One critique i would give is all your edges are very sharp, your not really going to get a lot out of the normal map that way.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Needs a lot of optimization all over, if it doesn't affect the silhouette it needs to go. Other than that, proportions and all feel pretty good.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    what fletch said, the edges are way too sharp.

rdmlegend: That looks like a subd mesh... so the additional geo is for the edge control
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right a lot of the edges are too sharp but at the same time it feels like its made of plastic not metal if I don't make them sharp enough.

And yeah not sure what rdmlegend was getting at since this is a highpoly.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bolterupdatnew.png

Added lots of new bits and bobs to it, at this point mostly making it up based off of reference from real guns, other bolters, and nerf weapons.

Inset the bolts on it and gave some attachment parts to make the top ironsight thingy feel like it is a part of it. Didn't know what the circle on the back was supposed to be but some of the other pictures had it being dial-like, so I gave it a bar to turn with. Loosened up the edge loops on the clip so that the edge wasn't so sharp, some other places could use this too.

I was wondering what the three barrels on the gun were, but I am guessing the top on is a flash light, the middle is for bullets, and the bottom is maybe a laser sight?

And further suggestions/critique is totally welcome. I think I'm going to look at some Uzis next, they give me a similar shape and feel.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    I like what you've done with it. I'm not quite sure if the barrels are for flashlight/laser myself, I've personally never seen or heard of such a thing. Most Space Marines have bionics, implants, and enhanced vision anyway so I don't see why they would need those.

Time to texture it, yea?
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point, I forgot this was Warhammer for a moment and everyone is a super mutant killing machine. I wonder what they are then.
  • Megabiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about adding some additions to the bolter, such as a bayonett or the classic 40k medals with parchment dangling off them. Looking quite nice at the moment though, keep it up.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good. If you want a more realistic look I suggest scaling down all the bolts and nuts and details. At the moment those bolts are probably over an inch in diameter. When using the miniatures as reference don't forget that all the details are exaggerated and chunkified so they're visible on the 28mm miniatures.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point, I hadn't considered that fact. I'll make them a little smaller but still a little larger then life, I like the for lack of a better word cartoony feel it gives it.

Going to start working on the side skull piece next.