Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

unknown worlds art test

Replies

• doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Hmm, I've seen a few people post this art test on game-artist.net, are you applying for the NS2 team or just doing it for practice?
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    just practice, I'm trying to get it down as if I was taking the art test for real, right now Im at 12 hours out of 50, my biggest problem being tweaking the proportions, every time I seem to get it right, I get to a different angle and it looks fat, or too tall :D!

but I think I've got it pretty close to concept, just a few more things to add tomorrow and I will move on to low poly

btw: how is mine standing up to those on game-artist.net's?
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'd also say it looks a bit flat. I'm not even sure that's the right word to use, but it's late and I'm gonna run with it. Switching back and forth between the concept and the render you can definitely tell something is lost from the concept. It might be that the render removes that sense of weight the concept portrays so well. That and it doesn't look like a solid piece of equipment, but instead something cheaply thrown together. It could be your render setup, but I'd definitely consider looking into the finer details that would make this tram look functional. From the render alone I'm just not sold on it, but the concept manages to just fine.

You have a good start for sure, just keep working with it.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allright, I have been working on this, but only a little bit. I worked 84 hours this week, not to mention the time spent with the wife:)

but here is a slight update before I go back to my job.
    Railcar_4.jpg
    I had modified the headlights originally so they made more sense, but it seems that and a few other scale issues were ruining the look of the whole car.
    I'll work more on this tonight, as well as post some different views.
    thanks for the help doeseph.
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you get some free time can you post some wires, would love to see how this is modeled.
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    I've been looking online as to where this art test is... is it on the UWE site?
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris wrote: »
    I've been looking online as to where this art test is... is it on the UWE site?

Unknown Worlds Entertainment (known for NS2 currently) was hiring at one point and I'm pretty sure this was the art test they gave most applying for an art position. I could be wrong, but I remember seeing a few of these crop up on game-artist.net a few months back.
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification doeseph. :)
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooghijmiqtxxa polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.unknownworlds.com/art_test

Looking pretty good Shrew. Can't wait to see it with a texture!

PS. We are going to be looking for some more people pretty quick here. Just a heads up. I'll post more when I can.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whooa, 6 pages back!
    but ive had the whole day off and can post a good update :)

Apophis3d: here you go, basic box modeling
    Railcar_10.jpg

I built the low poly:
    Railcar_9.jpg
    baked, and am in the middle of texturing.
    Railcar_8.jpg
    Railcar_7.jpg

just basic colors and grime for the most part. but please critique my bake and overall look till I get my textures up

Thanks saso and ooghijmiqtxxa,
    The rail car is sitting at 1514 tris atm, so hard to keep it under the limit!
    and sorry for the slow updates, seems like i get one day a week to work on this kind of stuff. :(
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, final tri count at 1552, with 1024 maps.

Railcar_11.jpg
    Railcar_12.jpg
    Railcar_14.jpg
    Railcar_13.jpg
    Railcar_15.jpg

Let me know what you think! :)