Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Courtyard

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Ognyan polycounter
Hi, this is a WIP of a courtyard based on Accademia di Brera in Milano. I am not trying to replicate the courtyard. I am just using it as an inspiration. Any comments are welcome. Thank you! :)

courtyard01.jpg

courtyard03.jpg

courtyard04.jpg

courtyard02.jpg

statue01.jpg
Software: Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, Crazybump and UDK.

Replies

• A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Diggin it. Statue turned out great.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    needs a tree or something organic to offset all the parallel lines i think, also dont make the ambient so...erm....flat maybe a lower value and an omni on the side the moon is shining would work alot bettter, think bounce light from the moon
  • Ognyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ognyan polycounter
    Thanks for the comments guys. Nice idea about the lighting.
  • yubbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive been to the real thing and i think you've done a brilliant job on this. Looks pretty much perfect. I tried to make a version of it for a UT3 map once (yours is about 100 times better btw) so i know how difficult it is to get all those classical details and proportions correct.

Is this just a show piece or do you intend to turn it into a level?
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice art. The lighting need a little more contrast, even if this one it totally possible in real life. Is this UDK or good old UT3 Editor? I bet it's UT3 :D
  • Ognyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ognyan polycounter
    @Yubbie - Thank you for the kind words :) For now it's just a portfolio piece but I have plans to turn it into a real map with some interior parts and I might even bring down on side of the courtyard and connect it to some garden with a forrest or something. I really appreciate your comment!

@ParoXum - Thank you mate! :) I agree about the lighting. This is UDK btw :)
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good. Shep is spot on w/ it needing a bit of organics. Few other notes:

- Ground is a bit bland at this point.
    - The inner arches have a very noticable paint peeling shape. I would make the texture more neutral and use something like decals to break up the repetition. Right now that chunk tiles a ton.
    - Pinkish statue base could be color matched to better blend with the other surface materials in the scene.

Are these all modular pieces, on the grid?

Looking forward to some more dramatic lighting!
  • Ognyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ognyan polycounter
    @Gamedev - Thank you for the tips. Some of these were pointed out by friends of mine so I am already cosidering them. All the pieces are modular.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looking great Ognya,

only thing I would suggest is a day light version as well. :)