Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Blast Door

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
Hi Everyone,

I'm working on this Sci-Fi Blast Door as part of an assignment.
I have 4days left until I have to turn it in.
After completing a first pass I thought I'd post it here to get some feedback on how to proceed.
Right now Its 2214 tris of an allotted 3000.

Below you can find some renders from Maya.
The texture budget is 1024. However I'm working at 2048 now and will down-res later, when I take it to UDK.

bd010.jpg

bd011.jpg

bd012.jpg

bd013.jpg

bd014.jpg

bd015.jpg

Its always the phase after the first pass at everything where I kind of get stuck, so any comments are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Replies

• Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really don't see "blast door". There aren't any big ass hinges showing the functionality of a door.

You have a lot of shapes on that door that just makes it blend in with the other parts of the whole objects making the door buried and hard to see with all these miscellaneous objects. Which kinda gets to my next point. Why did you choose these shapes? What are their functions (if any)? There seems to be these 2 things that look like handles (above the cyllinder on the right side with the 2 wires going into the door) but yet I have no clue what it's functionality is.

Always ask why... Is my final closing statement. Why does it have scratches here, why is their leakage stains here, etc.

Take care and good luck. Aesthetically, it looks good. Functionally wise, I'm lost.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    too busy, and the texture just looks like a load of materials photoshopped together not that isnt what a texture is, but it should be hidden well, by transitioning one material into another, metal doesnt just become another metal at a pixel perfect line in the real wold, it has welds, joins etc these are very important
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really do like the overall composition, it all looks coherent.
    Problem is i cant really see the door clearly, its mixed in there with all the details.

You should work on defining the door a bit more and the entire thing needs "local detail", scratches, dirt/leak in logical places, to really define the details you want to show.

I would suggest removing some of all the normalmapped panels and details and work on a few more selected ones and make them look really good, then if you feel there is room for more, go in and add them to flesh it out.

Great work so far, keep it up!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    not a bad model/ normals, yeah texture needs alot more work, looks a bit like something out of deadspace you might be able to look at that for interesting texture ideas.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, you absolutely mirror my thoughts.
    The directive was to make something that looks like it could fit in the 'Dead Space' universe, so I just stuck a bunch of stuff together as they have objects protruding everywhere. But they dont over clutter...

I'll work on separating the door more from the frame, make the door wider, remove the handles (they make no sense, indeed), come up with distinctive separate color schemes for door and frame,and rework the normal :)

I'll post updates as soon as I have them :)
  • Wyldcard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think everyone already pointed out the major issue of just being too cluttered.
    Maybe add some things that imply the functionality of it, a user interface on the wall or a rotating light. Also the ubiquitous yellow and black stripes. That is to say if it's some kind of emergency blast door give it some "emergency".
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all your critiques, I revisited the design and logic of the door and I hope everything reads clearer now.
    Below you can find the current design as well as what everything does.
    Let me know what you think of it.

updatewires.jpg

updateuv.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    much better conception, like it
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Looks a lot more like a door now, though some part look a bit flimsy for a blast door, namely the connection of the hinges to the back/wall and the vertical..pole.. thingy..

I really like the idea of a removable power source so it can open, but make sure it's secured well and doesn't accidentally pop out.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone,

I ran with the new concept and updated the normals and focused on colors.
    Below you can find the current progress as well as a readability test in UDK.

I went with pale olive green and brown as my primary colors and each got one highlight and one shadow tone.

Please let me know of anything that comes to mind.

bd017.jpg

bd022.jpg

bddistancecheck.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A lot better, sooo much easier to read. Now you can add a little bit of grime to make it look like it's been used.
  • Wyldcard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the power idea, give it a sense of "if shit hits the fan" and if you're using a blast door chances are it has. Someone else said it before too i think but it bears repeating, beef the hinges up a bit, make them nice and sturdy.
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new texture is looking a lot better, well done.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Might i suggest flipping the color scheme? Having brown gray on the inset parts, the contrast between light and dark should amplify/mimic the depth then. I'd make the hinge light too, because it's show it's (fairly interesting yet functional and minimalistic) shapes better.

For the gray, make the parts that need to pop light, and push the rest to the background. I think the vertical light, power source and keypad should pop, and the rest be dark.

Maybe make the battery black and yellow too?
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

Thank you all for the excellent advice!
    I finished a first pass at the textures. I also made the central bolts sturdier.
    I tried reversing the color scheme, but eventually decided against doing that.
    The warmer brown colors catch my eye more and direct me to the door.
    So far I have color and normal maps, I still need to toss a spec into the mix.

I also have to paint a gloss map, something I've never done before.
    What are the specifics of a gloss map?
    What should I take into consideration?
    And most importantly, where do I plug it into in UDK?

Thank you once again for all your help.

bd024.jpg

bddistancecheck002.jpg

Cheers
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

Thank you all for the excellent advice!
    I finished a first pass at the textures. I also made the central bolts sturdier.
    I tried reversing the color scheme, but eventually decided against doing that.
    The warmer brown colors catch my eye more and direct me to the door.
    So far I have color and normal maps, I still need to toss a spec into the mix.

I also have to paint a gloss map, something I've never done before.
    What are the specifics of a gloss map?
    What should I take into consideration?
    And most importantly, where do I plug it into in UDK?

Thank you once again for all your help.

bd024.jpg

bddistancecheck002.jpg

Cheers

Awesome!!

I'm definitely glad there's such thing as critiques...

Keep us updated if this is a project!

Good luck!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    ok i dont want to sound harsh, i think you have an eye for form and skill for 3d but....

wouldnt worry about gloss maps till you can nail a diffuse map
    you have gone from adding a few large colours to dirt, normals and spec without considering the medium detail. again, how do materials intersect how does dirt build up, how does rust form all of these are lost or not present within the texture you have made, get these right first then move onto other aspects of a material.

i kind of feel like telling you to start using simpler rendering methods, diffuse only etc to learn the art not the tech

i really learnt to texture when i went "back" to work on ps1/DS specs, got that right, then applied that to my high end shit it made a world of differnce, that low poly stuff has a very fast turn around and you can learn alot fast. at the moment your using alot of rendering effort and texture space to acheive ok results, not to mention the production time.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your critique Shepeiro.

I reworked the diffuse almost from the ground up, adding scratches, welding and areas with chipped paint. I hope that's what you where talking about.

bddiffusev2001.jpg

I also agree, its too early to be thinking of gloss maps, but its a requirement and turn-in is Monday :(

Cheers
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I really like it! Good job!
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice job! looking better... just keep at it... get a specular map going maybe?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    actually you made it look way worse now , adding white sploches at the edges doesnt make them look like scratches nor the material believable, what you need to do is study real life references of metal and painted metal and see how they react with use etc , because i can see your texturing from your head and not from ref and it really shows , check Cgtextures section of various and manmade , or just google metalic objects etc, theres tooons of great refs around to get a material beliavle, even at the diffuse stage.
    The lowpoly also seems to have polywaste, lots of detail modeled when it should rely on the normals wich this model doesnt seem to have , did you model a HP ? the edges are razor sharp and no interesting shapes in it :(

But keep crackin at this ! thats what makes us all learn :D
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, what an improvement, great work!
  • Wyldcard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/cg_education.htm

Neil Blevins has some good "rust" "worn edges" "paint chipping" tutorials, if not to follow they are pretty good. I like his cheeky way of using AO to make rust.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, thank you for all the replies.

Johny, I really appreciate your critique, you gave me a lot to think about.
    I was following Stefan Morrell's hard surface painting tutorial when I added the scratches.
    What is bothering you the most about them? Is it the color or the placement?
    And could you please specify which edges? I'd love to address the issue but am unsure what it is you mean.

Thank you Wyldcard for the link!
    There's a lot of good information there :)

Cheers
  • Divine Rage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wyldcard wrote: »
    http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/cg_education.htm

Neil Blevins has some good "rust" "worn edges" "paint chipping" tutorials, if not to follow they are pretty good. I like his cheeky way of using AO to make rust.

I love his approach to crevice dirtying by using AO bakes and clouds in his Hard Surface shading and Texturing.
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/news/2009/07/hard-surface-shading-and-texturing-with-neil-blevins/

It made me want to switch to Max for it's shading system. Blender is awesome for modelling, but I find it to be mediocre in the material system. 2.5 has changed that for the better, and with the new shading refractor coming up I'm really looking forward to the 2.6 release which should have everything working.
  • Wyldcard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No probs man, someone else on this forum pointed me to niels soulburn scripts and tutorials.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Another day, another update.
    I took the critique about the scratches and edges and made them more subtle and faded the borders between materials.

I hope its going in the right direction:
    bddiffusev2002.jpg

Cheers
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    It's really hard to pick our shapes and forms in the latest screenshots. It's hard to determine what's contributing to this but it's probably a lot of things.

The normals look a bit too soft, did you generate your normals from a heightmap or a highpoly? They look heightmap-ish and they could use some beefing up with crazy bump or something. The ideal alternative is to have a highpoly source normal map.

The surface looks like it's missing any specular or soft reflection, this could help the normals pop more.

Looking at the asset and squinting reveals that a lot of the tones and colors are very similar, You could use some broad Ambient occlusion to help darken some areas. I would also suggest trying to make some elements pop more, like the wheel+metal rod make it have brighter/shinier spots like it moves often.

It would help if you would post all of your texture flats.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update,

I noticed that the older versions had better readability, color vise.
    So, I tweaked the overall difference between the frame and the door.
    What do you think:
    bddiffusev2003.jpg
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the reply Jordan,

The normal is generated from a heightmap. I really toned down the spec map and added a very dull gloss map as a mask for a camera vector. The reason I did that is because I feel they're over exadurated in most games, but you're right, in my case I'm just throwing processing power around for zero results.

I posted the maps below, and would love to get you opinion on them.

bddiffusev2004.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what is that map in the bottom right? the one bottom left looks like specular.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, the bottom left is my gloss mask, the bottom right is my spec.
    I'm using a factor of 10 to tighten the values of the spec power in UDK.

Should I make it more contrasting?
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tweaked the spec and gloss maps to get a stronger result.
    What do you think:

bddiffusev2005.jpg
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It definitely looks better, makes it overall look a lot sharper. But it's such a nit pick that I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point forward anymore. One thing that I did notice though, is that it brought the door (the part that is surrounded by the black and yellow hazard decal) closer which I think flattened the depth of the door.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, midnight has passed and the turn-in time is officially reached.
    Thank you all so much for all your help and advice.
    You helped me complete my art-test and grow as an artist.

blastdoorfinal.jpg

Cheers,
    Sebastian