Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Katyusha Rocket Launcher - WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
Hi polycount, long time lurker thought its time to make a post :)

This is my 3rd large model, the other two being cars that i had varying levels of success with, but this one is for a university project.
We are tasked with making a WW2 era vehicle, a high poly version which we will bake to low and texture and eventually place in engine.

This is currently my high poly version, quite near finished i think, and any crit at all would be much appreciated. (Also any advice on rendering as im pretty useless)

katyushafront143.jpg
katyushaback143.jpg
katyushawires143.jpg
katyushawires2143.jpg

Replies

• vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Have u rendered out as Global Illumination in Maya or other software? Use xnormal to bake out AO.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like it. Nice job. I'd add a grill to the front. xNormal is nice and useful.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Its done in Max i used ambient occlusion i think. Only rendering ive done is from following tutorials but id love to get some nice renders going like i see in WIP threads on here. Cheers willbur, i'll add a grill although that will obviously just be a texture in the low poly version.
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hello the model is looking good, my thoughts on it (for whats worth):
    a) the inside of the front fenders look paper thin maybe thicken them up a bit so they look like metal panels
    b) the model seems to be missing small construction details screws, welds, etc
    c) the edges that define the shape of the container that is behind the door, need to be chamfered a tiny bit this will round out the edge but still keep it sharp, which will help for normal map projection. If you need I can forward an image to you regarding this, Im at work right now so at the moment its a bad time for that.
    D) Consider wear and tear the truck is extremely clean to be in WW2 add scratches and dents, this will also add character