Home Technical Talk

External Harddrive Not Working!!!!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
My 1TB external harddrive isnt working. when i turn it on, it makes these sets of clicking sounds for 30sec then its stops. the comp detects somethings connected, but i cant open it to recover my files. any ideas?

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to say, sounds like it's dead.

I've heard of a trick where you wrap it up and put it in a freezer for a while and then you are able to get some data off it, never done that myself.

Unless you want to spend big $ at some sort of file recovery company, you should do a search for that method.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clicking is generally a pretty bad sign. You can try ripping it out of the enclosure and hooking it up to your pc(generally IDE or SATA) to see if you can recover anything from it.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    I had the same issue.
    Sadly 1TB drives are often 2 separate 500GB drives linked together with RAID.

If one drive fails the data is gone as they store the zeroes on one drive and the ones on the other....speeds up access but completely fucks you over when drives fail....
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Are you connected by USB or eSATA? If you are running by USB, then use the USB as power and connect by eSATA. It may be a simple power issue. If the drive is out of warranty, crack it open and install it in the computer, most likely the shitty controller on board went toast, not the HDD itself.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    happened to me. just went dead that was it. lost a bunch of work. I tried what EQ said and I got a few files, but then it totally died.
    1TB hard drives seem a bit fragile compared to older drives.