Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male base mesh (NSWF)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
right, so i got tired of not having a decent base mesh for character models, to work from, so i made one, and tried to get the proportions, topology and everything as accurate and realistic as i could. even made a damn pecker.

topology:
wireframe2.jpg
wireframe1.jpg

manbase.jpg
basefront.jpg
baseside.jpg

any input from the character gurus would be appreciated.

Replies

• woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man could we see some orthos?, at the moment it looks like his shoulders are a tad broad for his frame, and the transition from chest to shoulder isnt super well defined, other than that i would say his face looks a bit long, but still well within the realm of possibility. funny if this thread was titled female basemesh (NSFW) it would have about 5 pages of comments at this point.

looks pretty good just those few areas need some tweaking.

-Woog
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's some orthos:

frontortho.jpg
    orthoside.jpg

how would you go about defining the shoulder to chest area better? i was trying to tone down the muscularity and such to a more average level.
    i was afraid the arms werent long enough, and perhaps the upper to lower arm ratio was off.
  • cadyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I've ever seen a cg peen (does avatar count?). I like actually that he still seems stylized, super crisp jaw line. But, the head seems too small. Belly button is a beast, hands and feet kind of small? A bit bow-legged? Cool though.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Shoulders are way, way too wide. To try and keep the correct ratio between showulders and hips, you've made hips too wide too. Also, standing in that pose the feet should not be right under the hips -- they should be a bit wider. You've both widened the hips too much and bent the lower leg inwards. Ankle looks dislocated from this.

looks pretty damn good overall though man. Fix those things and it should be solid.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Just to add to what SupRore already said.

From the side view, I think they eyes are too far forward. Also, from the 3 quarters view the cheek bone does not come out enough. If you look at your own face from the 3 quarters view in a mirror, notice how far your cheeks go back in space and how where your eye is there is a large divot that jets in and back out again to the brow.
    Its really important that you nail the 3 quarters view of the face, because other wise your characters will look off, and you might not now why.

Example:
    3QuartersView.jpg

Awesome job so far though! :)
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Back view looks amazing. Belly button seems big. The dong is pretty straight, maybe try curving it a bit. Chest seems flat, if this was a real person he'd probably consider pectoral surgery.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, i've tried to fix as many problems with the model as i could.
    he's less bug-eyed now, i reduced shoulder width from 55 to 50cm, and the same with hips and legs, straightened out the legs, made him less bug-eyed, and done some other general adjustments to the face proportions, and hip location.
    humanbase_new.jpg
    orthos
    newmaleortho.jpg
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    head is right where my eyes go. looks kinda skinny.....the back part of peoples heads are a bit more bulbous to contain the brain.

example....

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9286/headji.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Head is too skinny. V line looks a bit too strong.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    IMO the shoulders are parted too far from his chest, making him very very broad, and his shoulders seem kind of dislocated.
    other than that, Great work!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i think i messed up the head to jaw width proportions. i've done some more adjustments, and worked on the face texture some more.

could anyone do a paintover for the heavy V shape?
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf... this is solid work, is great to see, thanks for sharing ... seems its getting better with each update too!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    okok quick paintover:
    paintover.jpg
    don't take my word for it, it just looks better with these proportions IMO.

Also: andrew loomis
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i also feel the shoulders too wide, and its pulling the pec's out to wide as well. It may be that the delts are just over developed, something more modest might really help this, i mean from the front the delts make more sense but in the back they fell almost bubbled out, or like shoulder pads.

Other than that it is looking good, a little more care needs to be paid to the stance, the way his feet are planted it seems like his legs are bowing inwards, try to make that seem more natural, i think it will help feel much more accurate. and while we are on accuracy i think his fingers are a bit long. Usually i feel the middle finger is the same length as the distance from the wrist to the middle knuckle, someone else may want to confirm that but that's what i've been taught is most common.

pretty good though, some small adjustments and this will be a great resource for you.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    japhir's paint over... shoulders look better in my opinion
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would go with the paintover.

The knees are pointing outwards and the toes are pointing inwards, it makes the stance look strange.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir nailed it. You can pop the shoulders a BIT more than they are in his paintover (mostly in height, maybe an inch on each side in width) but anything else looks like a circus freak.

Looking great though man.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imho, before you address other stuff you should really focus on interlocking forms first, especially on arms. They look too blobby atm.. Cool interlocking forms are single most important thing when it comes to creating nice organic shapes :)

interlock.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    SupRore wrote: »
    Japhir nailed it. You can pop the shoulders a BIT more than they are in his paintover (mostly in height, maybe an inch on each side in width) but anything else looks like a circus freak.

Looking great though man.

Really? Don't be so sure, is dejawolf building a totally generic or somewhat stylised character here?
    I don't agree with Japhirs paintover because the most obvious abnormality lies in the head and this area has not been modified.

Paintover (I mirrored one side of the character and scaled the head sideways a bit, the rest has not been touched)

humanbase_pover_ed.jpg

The shoulders are a stylistic choice imo, I think this adds to the character, Sam Fisher had big shoulders too :)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Coming along pretty nice. I am new and trying to learn some anatomy at the moment and from the comments so far I like what Sandro is advising. I saw it in a Zack Petrok anatomy dvd and this is his main point. It has a lot to do with the origins of the muscle. when you look at your figure you should see those forms wrapping around it and even if the silhouette stays the same what you should see is different muscles/forms. Example: when looked from the front the biceps looks very flat on the sides and with this "regular" musculature (most of the time) you should have the triceps sticking out behind the biceps to the left and right side because the triceps is a lot wider then the biceps.
    :) Once again - I am new to the anatomy so this is just my opinion .
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, thanks. i'll have a look at the interlocking, and shoulder thing.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks excellent, particularly from the back as someone else mentioned. Did you inset the eyes a bit more in the update? It definitely looks better like that.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks excellent, particularly from the back as someone else mentioned. Did you inset the eyes a bit more in the update? It definitely looks better like that.

yup, eyes have been inset.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam fisher had a wide torso in general. Different. Even so his shoulders werent near this wide.

And yeah the head's a bit narrow but those shoulders are still superman freaky sized.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Actually it's not far off ex1 ex2 depending on the pose :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, touche, but those are very ugly proportionally wonky character models :p
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tweaking hell. put the arms in a more relaxed position. dunno, maybe i should redo the normal maps for the arms and legs. not happy with the eyes either.
    nudedude.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    He has a weird... er.... penis.