Home General Discussion

Alice In Wonderland

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
notman polycounter lvl 18
Anyone catch this yet? Is it worth hitting the theaters for? I'm really torn on this one. They styling is great, but it really looks like it could be awesome, or utter shit. Kinda looking for some opinions before I put $40 down so the family can see it.

Replies

• TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I saw a midnight showing of it, and was disappointed. It's so conventional, and while the visuals are cool, the story is so safe and boring. They assume since you know who the characters are already, that we don't need any character development or set up. I saw it in 3d, and aside from a few things that fly at the camera, the 3d just emphasized that the whole thing was shot on green screen. I don't mind Burton making it family friendly, no need to go super dark or anything, but I was hoping for a more interesting story and not a cookie cutter fantasy story.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it may be a Burton film, but its still Disney and Disney only does safe and cookie cutter, family feel good movies. I'd still like to see it though but will likely just wait to netflix it
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw it in 3d last night.

I think that the 3d aspect of it left more to be desired..at least compared to something like avatar.

I really liked the movie itself. I liked the story a lot, but it was pretty safe and predictable.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    The story reminded me a lot of Narnia, which I didn't care for. Some child drops into our magical world and is prophecized to save us with our armor and our magical weapon and for some reason everyone knows that person is here and is after them for some reason or another. "Take the sword and believe in yourself and you can do anything" BS. Yawn.
    I enjoyed the movie but I won't pay to see it twice. The ending dance was so hokey too, and no character depth. Burton was really trying to sell Johnny Depp's character to the point that I wasn't sure if the movie should be called Mad Hatter in Wonderland.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I was kind of bothered by how un-Disney it was, actually. Or maybe what I mean is un-Alice. Or at least un-Lewis-Carroll. Definitely un-feel-good.

The story and dialog was stripped of everything that made it endearing and unique and turned into a tragic and gloomy trudge through a video game plot (
    Get the potion, get the key, get the sword from the enemy base, take it back to your base, slay the dragon, save the day
    ) with more violence than it needed. It seemed to go out of its way to scare or sadden kids at every possible opportunity, with plenty of purposefully disturbing imagery, including some that most horror movies have the good taste to shy away from (namely,
    the mouse jamming a sewing needle into the bandersnatch's eyeball and plucking it out of its socket and carrying it around for the rest of the movie, while waving that damn needle around, lest you forget about that scene
    as well as the other 2
    eye-needle
    scenes). There was no blood for those, but there are grosser things that gallons of fake blood.

The part towards the end with the
    brief flashback to Alice's first visit
    , I was thinking, "Yeah, see, THAT would have been fun. THAT's what I came to see!", but then it goes back to the same old joyless spooky doom battle.

I know it's got Tim Burton's name up there, and that's kind of his schtick. But if I wanted to see Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, or Nightmare Before Christmas, I'd rent them. They're great. But if I'm seeing a Disney version of Alice in Wonderland, I don't want it to be "Underland", I want it to be Wonderland. I want some light-hearted surreal absurdist escapism, not a homicidal Mad Hatter and a bunch of psychotic and/or depressed animals. That ain't fun.

edit: Well the book had plenty of depressed animals, but that was different. And they weren't begging for their lives or pleading for the safety of their families.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Not a big fan of the Jabberwocky being played up as a dragon.
    I think McGee's Alice was much more mature and interesting;
    This seems like fluff and burton fanfare with an alice in wonderland theme.
    (Though I am excited to see Crispin Glover in a large role, he looks like a badass in thise film)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Tim burton took someone else's property and made a cookie-cutter movie with it, casting Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp in it?

That's never happened before! Certainly not in his last few movies!!
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    freaking boring!
    I don't know why everybody is talking about the bad story, there was no story! Just shots showing off 3d effects.

nice visuals though.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zilk wrote: »
    The story reminded me a lot of Narnia, which I didn't care for. Some child drops into our magical world and is prophecized to save us with our armor and our magical weapon and for some reason everyone knows that person is here and is after them for some reason or another. "Take the sword and believe in yourself and you can do anything" BS. Yawn.

Pretty much what I felt.

Saw it on Friday, came 45 minutes earlier with online tickets and there was already a line. The cinema was FULL. The audience seemed to like the movie though.

The visuals were great, some scenes were funny, but overall it wasn't anything special. Johnny Depp did an alright job being mad, but then when was he NOT mad in Burton's movies, or at least somehow strange.

I thought the Alice actress did a pretty good job, though.
  • Hoopla!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    im gonna see it this friday!
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    SupRore wrote: »
    Tim burton took someone else's property and made a cookie-cutter movie with it, casting Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp in it?

That's never happened before! Certainly not in his last few movies!!

This being the primary reason I have no interest whatsoever in seeing this movie despite typically being a fan of both acts. That and the visual style of the mad hatter just reeks of shit to me.
    For what had the potential to be a bloody fantastic piece of cinema, I'm certainly hearing a LOT of criticism on this one.
  • javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    gsokol wrote: »
    Just saw it in 3d last night.

I think that the 3d aspect of it left more to be desired..at least compared to something like avatar.

I really liked the movie itself. I liked the story a lot, but it was pretty safe and predictable.
    I haven't seen it yet myself, but the 3D is done in post. So your not going to get the true 3d like Avatar is, because that was shot in 3d.

I'd probably suggest, that if you going to watch this movie, catch the 2d version of it.
  • littlephoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i saw it and i was not all that touched, i give it a 7.5
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it, was glad the 3d was not pushed in the movie. 3d in movies is really bad for your vision. It rather pisses me off that you cant find a good theater that will show it in 2d opening weekend.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I found myself enjoying it more than I expected to after all of the negative feedback and considering I'm generally pretty critical when it comes to movies. It's certainly not without it's flaws, poor pacing resulting in an awful lot of rushing early on being the most significant, but I don't think it's entirely a write off.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    How is a raven like a writing desk? They both stand on legs...gahh...its not impossible to answer or nonsensical anymore...

The movie itself was better than I had heard, and I didn't go in expecting "Alice in Wonderland", but instead a movie about an older Alice taking another trip through Wonderland, and how the Red Queen's rule would have panned out in Alice's absence. This proved to be true. Its basically Alice a decade after her first visit with the Red Queen in control of the horrible creatures mentioned in Lewis Carol's poem Jabberwocky...

Annoying parts of the movie included Johnny Depp frequently dropping the above question, and the futterwacken/dance scene...the movie could have done without that...
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    I was extremely dissapointed - poor film making, 3d was SHIT. The effects were nice though.
    I would wish 3D would just stop. cease to exist. only seen it used once proprly, in avatar.
    And I was pretty psyched about this movie as well.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    dunno, regardless to critical words from some people, i loved it.
    7/10
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I was gonna go see it but then my buddy said he almost walked out on it which is huge as I dont think theres a bigger burton fan out there!!!!!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i saw it and i was not all that touched, i give it a 7.5
    Hey bud, I gave the atmospheric and character developing experience known as 'The Hurt Locker' an 8.5 and your score is not far off from that. I rate every movie based on a number of things, for example, character development, atmosphere, message, visual effects and, of course, storyline and The Hurt Locker definitley had most of those. I have seen Alice and I don't think that it deserves a 7.5.

Just sayin' : )
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I enjoyed it a fair bit, but I wasn't totally blown away. I really liked the actress that played Alice, I thought she did a really good job. Anne Hathaway's White Queen was pretty over-the-top, but in a way that I found amusing. I enjoyed Johny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter's characters, thought they were well done.
    And HonkyPunch- Yeah, Crispin Glover was awesome.

Did anyone else almost enjoy the opening where she was in the real world better than her in Wonderland, or was that just me and my uncanny love of period pieces?

My rating: Definitely worth seeing, but don't go in expecting to be blown away.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 3d was a bit of a drag, especially since I was sitting off to the side. = headache. Their volumetric fog and smoke was awesome though. Alice looked fucking hot in that armor. I enjoyed the movie, but I went in with low expectations; My only dislike was that it wasn't 'wonder-y' enough, too much Lord of the Rings.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    Did anyone else almost enjoy the opening where she was in the real world better than her in Wonderland, or was that just me and my uncanny love of period pieces?

yes.
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn. I really was looking forward to this.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Here's a few pieces of concept art I saw linked over on Game Artisans. I think a few of them work quite a bit better in the original designs than how they turned out on film, most notably the Queen and Knave.
    http://conceptartworld.com/?p=3136
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah seriously, why in god's name wasn't the Mad Hatter portrayed as in the concept. Concept stuff is pretty damn sweet, even more annoyed now :p
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    They probably thought Madonna would be more scary.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah seriously, why in god's name wasn't the Mad Hatter portrayed as in the concept. Concept stuff is pretty damn sweet, even more annoyed now :p

Because with that eyepiece get-up it would have covered too much of Depp's face I would imagine.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I do believe they should have just gone full CG.
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dissapointed, and I'm never going to watch a movie in 3D again. It's just stupid. The subtitles were the most impressive 3D effects...
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    It wasn't right.
    Wonderland is supposed to be a light, happy place for the most part, not corrupt and dark. He went the wrong way in my opinion.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I did not care for it.

Was fine with Underland, and it being a darker place - he can interpret it as whatever he wants. It just came off as poorly written and... strange. Not good strange, but "did they really just put that in the movie" strange.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Mezz wrote: »
    Anne Hathaway's White Queen was pretty over-the-top, but in a way that I found amusing.

I felt she were putting on a performance for those around her. Like she didn't care for the pomp and priss of royalty. It would have looked much more hokey had they not had the scene with the dog running in and the White Queen waiting for the rest of the nobles to go away before running.
    Joopson wrote: »
    It wasn't right.
    Wonderland is supposed to be a light, happy place for the most part, not corrupt and dark. He went the wrong way in my opinion.

You are in the wrong Wonderland... I would never call Wonderland 'light, happy'. o.o;

It is a good movie and I enjoyed it but...
    It was... odd. Not in an Alice sort of odd though.
    It felt more like a different movie using Alice characters.

Everyone did a pretty good job acting, though it felt like they really didn't have much time to get into character.
    Cracked out March Hare was awesome.
    Red Queen I felt was no threat other than the power to declare "OFF WITH THEIR HEAD" every other breath. She was so boring of a character. A vaguely spoiled child.
    Hatter with a claymore... I think I was done at that point.

Overall it just all felt... hollow.
    It is one of those current crop of zombie movies I think, like Avatar.
    Those movies that have all the makings of a great movie. They just lack the soul to bring them to life.

Everything was one rails, no adventure. There was not much threat of her not doing anything as she was supposed to. Oh and the 'prophecy' stuff... Pre-determination in Wonderland? That should be blasphemy.

And "Underland"? WTF?
    It's like they knew they weren't up to Wonderland status and decided to push themselves farther away.

American McGee's Alice is still my choice of sequel. Dark, disturbing and the characters match up.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Illusions wrote: »
    How is a raven like a writing desk?

Poe wrote on both.