Home General Discussion

$$$

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
beartraps polycounter lvl 8
I was just curious as to what the average pay for an entry level artist is. I am graduating soon and will be looking for a full time job, I just want to make sure that if i do end up finding something I am not working for a too low of a wage.

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure there is an existing thread in this.
    $25-40k
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Cost of living is also a very important factor that really effects how you view salaries. You may barely be able to live on 45k in one city, but in another you can afford to buy a house with a new theater system on 35k
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Good point zac (I think that's the longest reply you ever had) anyway, I make roughly 30k a year (usually more because of commission). Sounds low for most places but the cost of living is so low here, I live how I want. This is a non industry job btw...
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    In the US, 30-60k/yr depending on company size, location, position, skill level, etc.
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gardini polycounter lvl 13
    come one 25k y is too low... that is sad :(

And concept/ character ? or " character modeler " ?
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone's offering 60k straight out of school? Damn.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Depends on where you live. There's a yearly survey on Gamasutra. Goes back like 9 years or so I think.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Entirely dependent on skill level, job title and cost of living/area. Everyone will say something different, so best bet is to look at the gamasutra information.

my personal examples:
    env artist, monmouth, illinois (with a few years mod experience) $27,000 (2001)
    env artist, reno, nevada (with previous monmouth experience) $48,000-$56,000 (2001-2006)
    technical artist (scripting), reno nevada $48,000-$52,500 (2006-2008 )
    env artist (contract), redmond, washington $62,500 (2008-2009)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    2007 salary survey. I know there are more recent ones but I don't know where to find them online:
    http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/416/the_game_industry_salary_survey_2007.php

The gist is between 30k-50k.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to know what the average number of years experience resulted from that game developer mag survey, eg. how long has your average developer been working to make your average wage of 75k.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    I got the game career guid for fall 2009 and the average for an artist with 3 years of experience or less was 46k dollars. You got more if you worked on the west coast or upper east coast. Less if you worked in the South or Midwest. A lot of this is attributed to cost of living.

Washington state however received the most bang for your buck (aka highest paid for cost of living).

Also this did not take into account extra income people might've received.

And to Glib making 75K or more is usually 6+ years of experience.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get paid in new Trident Layers gum.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I know of a AAA title studio that offered only $10 an hour without all the extra bells and whistles as a contract env artist. Just sayin.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    00Zero wrote: »

LUCKY!
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10

I hate that commercial!!!

'Of course you can pay me in gum!'
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis wrote: »
    And to Glib making 75K or more is usually 6+ years of experience.

Yeah that sounds about right. So does that mean they're saying the average experience in the industry is 6 years? That would mean that we're averaging a senior artist? There would have to be an absolute ton of people with ~12 years of experience to balance out all the junior artists out there. Seems a bit off, no?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some salary research last night, added some of the things I found to the wiki.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/GameBusiness

The first two salary links are highly recommended, some great advice in them.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14

lol...completely missed that part out!!

This is one of the most getto commercial I've ever seen.

@EricChadwick: That review is for 2008 right? The entry level programmer job starts at 100k+ a year? lol.......

Well it said 57k if < 3 years at start, but it says programming there for IDsoft is worth 100k+..they didnt state if its a senior programmer or the entry level or Junior.. Usually programmers require atleast 3 years worth of practice in the industry before they are considered to be hired. They work for free and practice for 3 years to make their programming portfolio. (same approach as the 3d Artist). This is because the programming industry is dead, and only way you can get in is either some senior wishes for an early retirement and company is in the dire need of programmer (which is 1 in a million) Or you work with them as a volunteer for 3 years or until they consider you as a permanent programmer of their company.

So I dont think many people get paid as an Entry level position. =\
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which link did you look at? The average for an entry-level programmer is likely around 50k in the US, depending.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed my post...sorry.

I was reading the chart underneath the basic avg chart of salary.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Well it said 57k if < 3 years at start, but it says programming there for IDsoft is worth 100k+..they didnt state if its a senior programmer or the entry level or Junior.. Usually programmers require atleast 3 years worth of practice in the industry before they are considered to be hired. They work for free and practice for 3 years to make their programming portfolio. (same approach as the 3d Artist). This is because the programming industry is dead, and only way you can get in is either some senior wishes for an early retirement and company is in the dire need of programmer (which is 1 in a million) Or you work with them as a volunteer for 3 years or until they consider you as a permanent programmer of their company.

So I dont think many people get paid as an Entry level position. =

In my recent experience it's not quite so bad as that. It's tougher in general right now because of the economic mess, but companies still want to cut costs where they can. So they'll mine the recent graduate pool for the cream off the top, if they can find it.

A recent graduate has a few things going for them. Usually they're very energetic and enthusiastic. Some show a good amount of creativity. And some know their coursework really well. The comments down at the bottom here have some good info about graduates.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glib wrote: »
    So does that mean they're saying the average experience in the industry is 6 years? That would mean that we're averaging a senior artist? There would have to be an absolute ton of people with ~12 years of experience to balance out all the junior artists out there. Seems a bit off, no?
    Careful there, years spent warming a chair aren't always equal to senior skill level.

When employers are looking to fill a senior spot they are looking for a particular skill set not just time accrued. It's quite possible to work for 20 years and never improve past the Jr job requirements, or on the flip side wind up in a Sr role 6mo in.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    less than 20k, but i only work 20hrs a week (at least according to the contract. in reality it's more like 40-50hours)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for CS-degree equivalent skills, I will expect you know everything that was presented in classes on data structures and algorithms, computer architecture, and linear algebra. You need to be proficient in C/C++ and at least one other language. Bonus points for everything above that. Brains, enthusiasm, and drive are very important too, of course, and can make up for deficiencies in knowledge areas.

That would fail horribly because sometimes you get (if you are from Ontario's first community college A.K.A Centennial college) a professor who wouldnt know first thing about Table Normalization...and you happen to read that chapter last night so you dictate him through out the entire class, which completely kills out the potential of learning the second part of it.(And he happens to be the University Professor for database2)..I usually laugh at articles like this, because I am learning on my own as well as studying in college so practically everyone in the CS industry including the game industry would want me to know more than any other book worm graduate out there.....<.<

As it should be.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    lefix wrote: »
    less than 20k, but i only work 20hrs a week (at least according to the contract. in reality it's more like 40-50hours)

Wow, really? Is there an overtime clause in your contract? I mean, you're working over 100% more hours than your contract states... that's pretty brutal. 20k Euro seems a bit low for the amount of hours you're working, thats equal to about 27.5k in US currency. That equals out to about $15 per hour if you are working 40 hours per week, and about $30 if u were actually working 20 hours per week.

I apologize if I sound naive as fuck, I've never worked a payed position in the field. Is this just the way most entry level positions are?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the company. Yes this does happen, some employers will take advantage of their employees as much as they can. Others avoid this because they are more aware of the downsides... burnout, reduced productivity, high turnaround rates, etc. Totally depends.

Do your research! Read all you can about them, contact current and former employees, contact their clients, etc. Research is key.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting thread