Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Adept - Character for UT3

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
This is a character im making for a uni project for UT3 'Adept', and is based on the UTMale rig.
concept-1.jpg
base mesh in max
base1.jpg
base2.jpg
in engine (no uv's or textures yet was just testing)
ingametest.jpg
ingametest3.jpg
some high poly sculpts
headsculpt.jpg
shoesculpt.jpg
legswip.jpg
im fairly happy with the head and shoe but im probably gona restart the trousers as im not entirly liking how they are atm
so comments and crits appreciated

Replies

• chay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chay null
    Really like the character, cool design, really looking good :) Although im thinking maybe define the grooves in the head a bit better, same with the shoes, just push it a bit more, dnt be afraid to go deeper with some things, give it more shape.

Also maybe finish blocking out the rest of the stuff such as his belt etc. And then just subtool all parts of him into zbrush, that way you can work on it all at once and make sure it works well with everything

Do you have an orthographic shot of him ?

Once again, looking good :)
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really stylish, and the silhouette is quite nice. I agree about the pants, the back of the knees is what caught my eye the most.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really kick ass! can't wait to see him painted
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Love it. Cant wait to see more. Keep up the good work.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    I suggest modeling out everything high poly then retopologize to bake. pants, belts, shoes, all need to be modeled correctly to start off. your forms are coming off as blobby and not definitive. look for references on folds and creases on pants. theyre showing up as too soft and doesnt really have much gravity to them. the knees and the back of the knees are particularly awkward. gl
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    If you're trying to match the original concept I think you need to rework the proportions. The crotch needs to come way up and arms need less bulk. The torso hoody part needs some reworking too, it's shape is a little weird the way it flows downward and out doesn't seem right. In general the clothes are a little more form fitting than you have modeled on your low poly version which is why I think things look off.

If you're trying to deviate from that and make things baggier then I think you're on the right track.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the comments guys much appreciated

as far as the proportions go when i drew the concept i hadnt considered the utmalerig, so when i drew the reference pics i drew them over the skeleton as can be seen below
    referencesheet.jpg
    this forced me to change the design a bit but its still fairly true to the original
    also got the hand done today
    handsculpt.jpg
    as for the trousers i took your advice and had another go - got some references of trousers and creases and im a lot happier with them
    legsculpt.jpg
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so new problem, started to have a go at sculpting the torso and arms today, this is how they are in max in base form, split at the shoulder, ive tested this in terms of rigging in max and in engine and it works fine as ive weighted the verticies around the seam for both parts identicly for the same bones
    shoulderseam1.jpg
    so i pop it into zbrush and this happens
    shoulderseam2.jpg
    the question is, is there a way of making the seam - seamless, like on the base mesh or is there a way to keep both parts always connected etc... .or should i just take the easy option and cover them using some form of shoulder pad/strap etc...?
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok ive had some feedback from some guys at uni, they have said to delete the inner faces then use the crease function ? anyone have any tips on this ?
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i took the advice and got the seams sorted so update

torsowip.jpg

im pretty happy with this so far but i'd like some criticism if poss before i move onto the next stage . cheers
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok long time no update but thats because ive been working and here is the proof, my character is done (apart from a few tiny things)
    it has;
    custom faction
    custom physics
    custom arm rig
    custom changeable parts - 2 helmets (hoods) and 2 torso's (one with bag one without)
    and is all in game and working nicely screen shots below
    UT32010-03-3004-00-33-63.jpg
    UT32010-03-3004-00-37-72.jpgUT32010-03-3004-00-44-22.jpg
    UT32010-03-3004-00-53-12.jpgUT32010-03-3004-00-54-32.jpg
    UT32010-03-3004-04-11-90.jpg
    UT32010-03-3004-02-44-48.jpg
    UT32010-03-3004-08-28-81.jpg
    UT32010-03-3004-08-32-92.jpg
    UT32010-03-3004-10-09-41.jpg
    UT32010-03-3004-16-03-82.jpg
    just need to make a faction picture and cook all the files and it will be ready for release :D
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made a lil vid of some ingame stuff
    th_ingamevid.jpg
    just testing the package atm so it should be released very soon :D
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message