Home Technical Talk

re-downloading software from autodesk

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
I bought mud 2009 a while back as a digital download, but I've lost the install file. I've been on to autodesk for a week now and they still haven't sent me a download link..

anyone else had a similar problem? any advice how to resolve things?
I've given them my legit serial, and registered it (I hadn't bothered to previously). I don't know if they think I'm bullshitting them or what, but I offered to give them the last 4 digits of my card to check against their records.

really getting on my wick now, I'm looking at z and 3d coat quite closely now just to get away from autodesk..

edit: WAH? i thought i was in technical talk.. er, mod please :)

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    i think its a bit of a scam they do to force you to download the latest 2010 version and buy/upgrade to it. Crazy expensive for what it is too, since 2010 reall is just a service pack kind of update.

I can have a look to see if I still have the 2009 demo installer for you maybe ?
    You can also find a cracked version as as far as i know they often just pack the official installer, along with the messy cracky stuff. So you could just DL that and ignore the dirty files and just get the officlal installer that way. And before someone oversensitive gets on my back for this YES I paid for mud, even for the upgrade...

This system is beyond stupid, I am wondering if its even legal on their part ?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I looked at my HD but I don't have the trial/setup of 2009 anymore here as I switched already completely to 2010. But maybe someone else has.

And yeah so far my communication experiences with Autodesk have been really bad. They either don't respond at all or with a automated response that the ignores obviously the real question. And even look at their 'the area' forums, not really that alive.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Ahhh, welcome to Autodesk Land. Where your 5 minute phone call for tech support will turn into a 30 minute shameless plug to upgrade or do a subscription service. We will imply that the best way to solve your problem is not by actually addressing it, but just selling the upgrade. Also, we won't say "You better upgrade." just gently push you into that direction by removing all other options.

Also, we spell "support" - $¥₱₱€£₮.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If you want it, I still have the 32bit mud2k9 trial setup on my laptop from back when I tried it out. No 64bit setup though.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Oh no wa....ez.... Sorry to hear that sir, but really have you seen all the new features found in Mudbox 2010? It can make our wallets fat so you should really consider to upgrade to it. You know, I'm not sure if you know server space is expensive and...

Joking aside.... I hope you get this resolved in your favor, Rooster. I heard they take their sweet time to resolve anything. Good luck.

@Prior the entire way software is sold is stupid! For example if someone doesn't like anything about Photoshop after version 5.5 why force them to buy it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I actually already tracked down the 2k9 trial install already, and guess what- you can't activate it :C
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    rooster wrote: »
    I actually already tracked down the 2k9 trial install already, and guess what- you can't activate it :C
    even with the telephone activation? I find that hard to believe.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    pirate it until they feel the need to give you what you paid for
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    They need to learn from Microsoft, for all the horrible and insane things Microsoft have done with their software over the years (windows ME) , at least activation is easy, and support for older programs is still available in reams. Like most I've had to reinstall my copy of windows several times, often with a different disc , but as long as I've got the MS phone number and the sticker on the back of the PC is readable, it's a 5 minute job.

I guess the only option is to get a hooky one, but sucks that with the black market stuff you have no idea what else is bundled into it. :(

WTF Autodesk. :poly127:
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    renderhjs wrote: »

there is the option in mud 2k10 trial to activate, but 2k9 just says now 'thanks for trying the trial, here's the link to buy it'

anyways, I've recieved messages from a couple of helpful polycounters to resolve my issue to whom I'm extremely grateful. Saved from the jaws of autodesk 'support' :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Oh I thought you were referring to max2009 as that one is used more than 2010 and a blocking activation would not seem realistic.
    I am not sure about mudBox, things went wonky for mudBox anyway and from what I read on the boards it seems that they don't release as many hotfixes and patches as for Max or Maya and instead insist on having the users pay for a new major release even if its about major flaws just being patched in the next version number.
    That being said I would seriously consider switching to zBrush (which offers many free feature updates) or 3d coat.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    my reluctance with zbrush stems from 2 things I guess, the interface as usual, and also it's perspective. I had to do some face likenesses with the first zbrush and using ortho view when you're reference is perspective was.. a wee bit frustrating. I know theyve added 'perspective' but from what I've heard, and had a go with, it's fudged somehow. like, it changes a bit when you alter the model or something?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    renderhjs wrote: »

i bet its a flexlm issue, the trial is just a different version, not like it was with max before, same with maya and i guess with max2010 also as it uses flexlm and the trials are not like the full versions, so after the trial period you have to install another piece of software... sucks big times

@rooster: its somehow like a perspectivly stretched bounding box, not a real perspective. They fixed some issues where changing the size of the object also changes the perspective, like having a char with several pieces and the perspective is different when you have onbly the head visible, thats all gone, but what you still have is funky stretching once you orbit to a position where you look from top down, then you can see the perspective changing. It's kinda creepy.
    But i'd still prefer it over mudbox as the featureset is way bigger, i can always check perspective with goMax or 3dcoat or even my old mudbox1 license if i'm worried something is off.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    nvm, i guess you just have to torrent your installer or something
    since its the licence that makes it piracy
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Does 2009 have a Service Pack like 2010 does? if yes just download this from autodesk and you should be ready to go, because its not an update it´s the whole programm if i´m not mistaken
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, service packs are separate downloads that require the product to be fully installed before you can update.

Good luck with that roo, they can be very skeptical of anyone not representing a large company. Stick to your gun and keep after them, its sad they're this tough on a paying customer...
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    i could activate my copy of mudbox through installing only the sp o.O