Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

War Machine

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Firebert polycounter lvl 15
Final entry for the CGHub 3d jam. I know it's not game art, but can you really blame me for shameless self promotion?
Now it's time to get back to my unfinished game art, especially since DW is on the fritz.

Turntable

Quicktime Download 1
Quicktime Download 2
Quicktime Download 3

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBzOdAeX2J8[/ame]

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I really like it, nice work.

It would be great to see all the standard stuff, wires, textures flat shaded view bla bla bla.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    ^

Very well done Firebert, it looks great.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Nice stuff man :)
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    yea stunning work man, the bolts on the back are a nice touch. do share your wireframes and such!
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    this is great! Programs used?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'm glad you dig it!

Shaded and Wire Views
    armor_shade1.jpg
    armor_wire1.jpg
    armor_shade2.jpg
    armor_wire2.jpg
    armor_wire.jpg
    face_closeup.jpg

This is my light setup
    All lights were emitting diffuse and specular. Since I was using Mia_materials, I relied more on reflectivity of the panels for specular values than that of the actual lights.
    light_setup.jpg

Here is the skin shader setup. A lot of people have said they didn't like the specular, and a lot of people said they did like it. Skin shading is so difficult to nail, and I wish I had a better setup on my pc so I could test render easier, but working on a laptop for everything, there's a lot of overheating and a lot of crashing when doing this renders, and that in turn eats up a lot of time.

Nothing fancy here, just a fairly good understanding of what the maps would do in each slot. A better understanding of the sss than the Mia functionality at least.
    shader_maps.jpg
    shader_plugins.jpg
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    great job!

thanks for the breakdown of your material and lighting setup, i'm trying to mess around with stuff like this too. what exactly are the white panels? are they just self illuminated polygons?

did you also use the sss material for his eyeballs?
  • phredH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Nice job. Nice model. Beautiful work with the materials and lighting.
    Thanks for posting your break down of the lighting setup. It will help me with my models. :thumbup:
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty: thanks :) yes, those are just surface shaders with bumped up whiteness value that i used for aiding in diffusion during final gather as well as reflectivity of objects in the render. the eyes are just a phong shader with the added scattering effect that was put into all maya shading nodes back on version 8 or 2008 (can't remember exactly)... it can be pretty useful if you tune it in because it does give that slight hint of added effect, but if you don't dial them in, they can be expensive.... so you should really do some test renders of just that shader at various scatter depths and accuracies to get the best balance and not just crank up the slider if you ever decide to try and use that feature.