Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
time to show VFX demo reel :D
http://www.vimeo.com/9593474

Crits are expected, cause this is polycount! :D

Replies

• mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it, shows a wide of variety of effects; your first UDK scenes are beautiful, are those personal works? Tough to find any real crits, but if I must...

-The Coruscant (or whichever city that is) scenes flash by too quickly. Especially the animated sign. I'm assuming it's all you have to work with though, if you only have access to press videos.
    -The shield over the city feels a little flat to me.
    -The helicopter explosion is almost too overbearing, could just be me. Wouldn't mind seeing another shot of it from a little further away (as the player would see it happen from the ground). I would ignore this unless you're applying to companies making war sims.

All that said, your work combined with the fact that BW:A is looking for a 9-12 month VFX Artist contractor makes me think you'll be sitting pretty a little while longer. Good luck with the search.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    woah, I want to see more of that opening shot.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mathes: anything from TOR I have no control over whats released to the public, stuff I worked on is shown so quickly. That's why there's a ability to scrub the video ^^. The explosion effect isn't the best I can do, but I had to start getting my work out there. As far as staying longer, sadly, its not going to happen :(

Justin: Thanks :) the opening shot took me about 3 weeks in UDK. The planet material came out really well. I was trying to make the LCD screens zoom out of the planet like something you'd see in star trek, but I couldn't get the particle system to do what I wanted it to do. I almost got it working.

I'm working new UDK FX scene at the moment which uses destructible glass, bullets impacts, a bit of cinematic flair :)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice reel Lee3dee :)

Only thing I have to say about it is I found it hard to read the text and then see/find the fx that were listed.. if that makes sense.

I think it might be easier for me if the text was at the top of the screen instead of the bottom.

Nice though :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff buddy!

Some of it goes buy a little too fast to catch and read your text.
    The text over the top of the game text is a bit confusing but you have to make due with that you can.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    1 month left at BioWare Austin, time to show VFX demo reel I've been sending out to companies.

http://www.vimeo.com/9593474

Crits are expected, cause this is polycount! :D

Awsome work!! :)
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice job! I didn't get to see it the other day so Im happy I get to see it now! It looks awesome from what I can see!
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    I was thinking my first post on these forums would be when I finally start pimping my own stuff, but I *have* to come out of lurking to say fantastic choice of music. That soundtrack is one of my all-time faves.

Really great looking effects too!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    lewkin gewd.. hope you can find something local. I'd like to have you and your wife around a little while longer. :) get some more sushi.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    like others have said, those parts that go by fast just hurt it... gotta work with what you got, i understand... just in those particular spots, some of the effects where hard to even spot it all went by so fast, and then you try to read the text (i'ma sllllllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwww reader)... makes it even more difficult...

the first few shots though... man those were badass and wouldn't be nearly as cool without that fx work. :thumbup:
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty awesome man!!!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like that opening shot with the hologram, I want to see more of that! :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: I re-edited a version of the text at the top of the video, and it gets in the way of some of the other shots. I understand about the whole eye focusing on top to bottom, and the stuff is so quick, putting the text on the bottom probably makes it harder to read/see. Maybe adding black bar to the top of the video area, may work.

S2Engine: Yep, the Shatter soundtrack is awesome! Game is very addicting!

Jeremy: Yeah, need to get you to eat more sushi!

carlo_c: guess I need to release the udk map for that :)

Thanks for the comments guys :)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    love the beginning a lot! the rest is good too. maybe wanna put something more spectacular at the very end.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    dang man, any chance of doing a matinee camera fly around of the first scene and putting it up on vimeo?
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good man. The UDK stuff is particularly well presented.
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    Very nice Lee!

I'm not qualified to make any judgments on your real but from what I saw it looks pretty good. Also I have to assume that you worked with Bioware for some of the stuff and if you had, you should really make that more apparent to the watcher.

Otherwise as I stated, Nice work. I've seen you make progress for a while now and it's good to know your on the right track.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey bud. Good stuff! I'd like it a bit if you maybe paused the vid and did a little pop-up video style notations w/ arrows pointing to the specific particle systems and effects you created.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as requested, Hologram video only
    http://vimeo.com/9813421

Mass Effect 2 style (testing them out using the lens flare actors)
    hologram_flares.jpg
  • schoenrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schoenrock polycounter lvl 9
    thats some pretty amazing stuff. i really like the UDK stuff. would love to learn how to do some kick ass particals my self. got any sites you go to for tips? or maybe you have some tips your self?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Mind blowing stuff buddy! :D