Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Valentines gift for my lady (lots of images)

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
moose polycount sponsor
fin_up.jpg

This Valentine's, I wanted to do somethin different and cool as a gift, so I decided to write and illustrate a book of our relationship, in the form of a children's book. It isn't digital in its final form, but I did all the illustrations in Photoshop :)

It was quite a process! The final result came out awesome, I'm super happy. The only thing i would do differently, would be to use cloth on the entire cover instead of cutting decorative paper. Its cool looking, but i don't know how well it'll stand time.

I documented my process!

I started out writing, obviously. Drafted up 3 or 4 revisions to get page counts, layout, and flow. After finally landing on something, I planned out the pages.

pageLayout.jpg

From here, I went through about 20 pages proofing and figuring out how to get my printer to register the graphics correctly, finally landed on printer settings and document positions i liked. Then the real work started!

I laid out all the pages in photoshop, based on the groupings of pages (signatures), and started drawing. Once that phase was complete, it was printing and folding time!

went through 1 and 1/4 printer cartidges
printer.jpg

After the page was printed on both sides, on came the scoring and folding (and a glorious typeo for everyone to see.. fuckin a. I needed an editor)
page_unfolded.jpg

page_folded.jpg

Which these pieces are assembled into one chunk:
signature_01.jpg

Then chunks form the book. I took special care here and read through it two or three times looking for errors in the pages, layout, registration, etc. Everything was ok!
signature_sets.jpg

Punching holes for easier sewing.
holes_punch.jpg

Sew sew sew
sewing.jpg

sewing_done.jpg

After sewing and gluing the binding, and all the pieces together - i squished it with important heavy books like the Dictionary, and Make-Up reference books.
fin_squish.jpg

Final product, closed, and open
fin_closed.jpg

fin_open.jpg

Was a fun project, may do more in the future with different paper!

Will post some of the actual drawings later! I kept it very simple, so that printing would not be an issue. I had not used this kind of paper in my printer before, and didn't know how it'd react to the ink. It didn't bleed a lot, but got pretty saturated with ink. Keeping the designs and colors solid helped a ton!

Replies

• e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that's totally cool. Would love to see all the illustrations (if they're not too personal).
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool work!

I've been messing around with binding books as well, just never got as far as to complete one, haha.. Great work though..
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Ah so here is the rest of it :) Looks awesome! I made a writing tablet like this once in Vis. Comm. (Shit that was in high school, 8+ years ago, Im gettin old). It's a lot of work putting that stuff together. Nice job!
  • Drumonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really great idea, love the illustrations too.

I'd also like to see the rest of it (if it's not too personal like efreak said)
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    An awesome and an even better result! I bet she loved it, anyway props and can't wait to see some illustrations!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Very very very nice man :)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    This is awesome. Nice job with the binding, too. I did two of these a while back with different covers, and the binding takes a fair bit of time to do right! Thirding the request for illos. :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    That's awesome man! I did a few books using those same methods back in college. It was a lot of fun and really makes you appreciate the skill it takes to really bind books by hand... there's a real art to it to make it really clean, not bunched up and not too loose.
    Really important books, like the dictionary... hahahahahahahaha, awesome
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    this looks amazing! great job :)

i dont know if this is intentional, or if anyone noticed, or whether you were showing us an old picture and this page is scrapped and redone, but:

pagese.jpg

Amazing job though, she must love it. :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    This is so awesome. :D Such a great effort. Hey, I bought my girl a pizza on valentines day!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, really cool! I'm with Snefer though, I bought my girlfriend of 4 years a card for v-day.
    You have set the bar way too high for us guys. I'm going to make sure see never sees this thread! lol
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    JFletcher wrote: »
    this looks amazing! great job :)

i dont know if this is intentional, or if anyone noticed, or whether you were showing us an old picture and this page is scrapped and redone, but:

pagese.jpg

Amazing job though, she must love it. :)

ONO!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Maury! I'm so happy this turned out as well as it did! How'd she like it?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    oh what!? thats awesome! I'm totally jealous

All girls need a hand made book given to them for their Valentines day! Hazard! Are you seeing this??
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome gift man!!! All I can say is, you better be 'gettin some' for the rest of the year for that badboy - its a BIG deal!!!!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great! I wouldn't even think of trying something this ambitious. Great job.

Not to be a downer, but on the page above with the dogs it says "The dogs revel themselves after 180 years to be shape shifters." Did you mean to put reveal?
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Great work, TBH i think all the little mistakes weather intentional or not, make it that much more personal and special.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Wow man, that's awesome. I've made some nifty gifts for my girlfriend but nothing comes as close as this. I'll remember this for future presents for sure.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Wow, totally awesome stuff man :)
    she must be super happy!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome!

But probably hard to top... Start thinkin now, you probably have a birthday probably an anniversary and maybe Christmas before next Valentines day.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Vig wrote: »
    That's awesome!

But probably hard to top... Start thinkin now, you probably have a birthday probably an anniversary and maybe Christmas before next Valentines day.

He could just keep on makin' books. No need to top it, just keep it consistent... Women hate that!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    effin cool, man. she should be really happy
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Hey all, thanks for the kind words, and superior copy editing skills :)

I assure all of you, every single error you see in these shots are in the book, lol... I win x1000. Lucky for me, she glazed over them the same way I did :) Before I gave it to her, she and I were chattin about stuff and she brought up her mad paper-writing skills, and how she was a great copy editor. I kind of laughed and chuckled, thinking she wouldn't be able to get past my little mistakes. Turned out she didn't even notice though, so horray! *\o/*

She loved it too, I got the exact reaction i was hoping for :)

e-freak: thanks mang! I'm going to assemble some more shots of some of the drawings. I was pretty modular with them, so i could reuse a lot of stuff. Will get some of my favorite ones uploaded :)

bbob: do it!! it was such a fun process, I can't wait to do another.

DarthNater: hehe yeah! this is the rest of it :) No grunts, lancers, or boomshots in it, but there is some blood and guts!

Drumonman: thanks! and sure thing, soon!

Jason: thanks :D

Firebert: lol yeah... the irony lies in all my little mistakes, but waddayagonnado :) It did really make me appreciate books a lot more, i want to get better at doin this!

JFletcher: hahah, keener eyes than me :) I honestly did not even know that was like that, hahaha. I was looking at it for so long I just kept glazing over it. I didn't show anyone while i was working on it, for secrecy. My roommate is a writer too, haha, totally could have used his help, but I wanted to keep this one close to my chest. By the time i was printing off the finals i was running low on paper, though I could have easily fixed that jive. ah well! adds character i guess ;)

Sneffer: thanks man! Pizzas are delicious. I want a pizza!

Brad: thanks!

rapture: ya, ono indeed! hahah, for another ono moment, my hair c. 2003:
    meomghair.jpg

adam: thanks mang, she loved it. just like i love your doggy sty---- i mean, wait.

Anuxinamoon: hey thanks :D Don't you put Hazard on the couch!

Hazardous: :D thanks! ended up being a perfect idea for us, i had tossed around a few ideas and started a painting or two, but this ended up being the one thing that she and I had talked about about 4 months ago. Thankfully she has a terrible memory, and is "very rewarding."

Zipfin: doh!!! hahahahah. Well i guess they could revel in that as well... maybe? lol. Thanks for the kind words, I lost a good deal of sleep workin on this bad boy :)

willy: i like you. hahah, that's what im talkin about! It gives it character, they're not mistakes!

felipe: thanks!! it is most certainly worth it.

shiv: thanks :)

vig: i know right! ha... going to have to think hard. Thankfully her bday is 5 days before xmas, so i have a while! thanks :)

conte: thanks dude!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Great to hear she loved it (why wouldn't she?)

See men, you put the effort in you get some nice rewards! ;)

Next year you could make a sculpt and print it!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    That came out amazing! especially if you hadn't bound a book before! very cool idea. :thumbup:
  • Natocwal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent work, everything looks great and what a lovely gift.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats so cool!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    awesome work! I hope she got you something good too
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    way to make the rest of us LOOK BAD! sheeesh, but ill give it to you.. GREAT idea.. even if i wanted to do this myself i still dont think i could..

:(