Home Technical Talk

Exporting polypaint Zbrush

My friend is trying to export some texture thingy he did in zbrush with polypaint. His using a PC, zbrush 3.5. He says there has to be a way of doing it ... i dunno how to do it ... do you guys know?

Replies

• JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Under Tool->Texture you can select "From Polypaint"
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    the new xnormal, supports polypainted obj's. just export the obj and bake base texture in xnormal.

this is nice if you are baking normals anyway, its pretty fast and you can do all your bakes at once.
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but is there anyway to just export the polypaint? his planning on just projecting the normals in 3ds max.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    He'll need to auto-UV the highpoly in Zbrush, most likely using PUV tiles. Then as Jordan says above, do Tool->Texture you can select "From Polypaint". This will make a texture that can be assigned to the highpoly in any other program.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Eww Auto UV. Don't do that. Unwrap it properly in a seperate program so that you're left with a texture you can actually work on.

*Once you've got that imported back in, you'll need to select "New from polypaint" in the Texture Map panel of the Tool menu.
    *Now click "Clone Txtr" to copy the texture to the texture menu.
    *In the texture menu click "Flip V" and then "Export"

Sorted.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Jackablade: it's easier to have two meshes (imo) one that is your final bake mesh that has good unwrapped UVs and one that is in high res ZB with auto tiles (if you're working with polypaint), that way you don't have to worry about reimporting the bake mesh and hoping the projection runs smooth and your mesh doesn't explode... set the zb mesh as your high in xnorm and the final as your low, bam wham thank you mam... no worrying about shit holding together through the majestic importing/exporting of OBJ in ZB... it's also faster

after it is all said and done from your bakes, you'll have a texture you can work on

wasn't there a resolution quality issue in the past with transferring polypaint to a texture? i think i saw someone came up with a plugin or script that handled that with a new unwrapping method in ZB3... has that been addressed in the new 3.5 releases? haven't tried very much polypainting since the new release.
    and on the topic of texturing with ZB, how is the latest version of ZAppLink? new improvements?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    If he's planning to bake maps then he will have a high poly and low poly mesh already. Show him this video to get his polypaint baked in Xnormal. It's quick and easy; can't be simpler than following a video.

http://eat3d.com/free_zbrush_xnormal_pipe
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Firebert: ZBrush 3.5 is pretty good with reimporting meshes and such, but your workflow does make a lot of sense.

I haven't seen any resolution issues in the latest version of Z, although I can't actually remember ever running into them in the previous version either. There were some real quirks with importing meshes in the previous version which have been fixed. Unfortunately, they've been replaced by an exporter that has a tendency to export models at inconsistent scales. It's mighty annoying.
    Can't say I've ever really messed with ZApplink. Judging by the Eat3d ZBrush 3.5 introduction tutorial, I don't think it's changed since the previous version.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade: I suggest setting up a macro on startup to set Export xyz offsets to 0 and Scale to 50 (works for me) so the scaling says consistent and plays nicely with Max/Maya etc.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=81506 this here allows you to press one button and bring your model into max with the polypaint on it as a texture,
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bokaja polycounter lvl 16
    arshlevon wrote: »
    the new xnormal, supports polypainted obj's. just export the obj and bake base texture in xnormal.

this is nice if you are baking normals anyway, its pretty fast and you can do all your bakes at once.

Is this with v3.17.0 beta? I tried exporting a highpoly head with polypaint from Zbrush 3.5r3 into Xnormal v3.17.0, set up the basics and selected "Bake base texture" but it dont seem to pick up the polypaint color info? All I get is the red mismatch color.

Anything I'm missing?
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Bokaja wrote: »
    Is this with v3.17.0 beta? I tried exporting a highpoly head with polypaint from Zbrush 3.5r3 into Xnormal v3.17.0, set up the basics and selected "Bake base texture" but it dont seem to pick up the polypaint color info? All I get is the red mismatch color.

Anything I'm missing?

Check "Bake highpoly's vertex colors" in the Maps to Render rollout, you can change background color too.
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bokaja polycounter lvl 16
    Ah lol thanks ^_^ Also failed to untjek the "ignore per-vertex-color" in the highpoly settings.
    Working now - sweet!
  • daniorrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WHEEEW! THANKS ALOT ironbearxl i was struggling with it too. woot!
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon wrote: »

Thank U!
    I was looking for a way to get my polypaint in to my retoped/UV-mapped Head, and this was so simple! :)

AND for the record the retopology works better now in zbrush than it used to do.
  • Bwample1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bwample1 polycounter lvl 8
    I have a question. I painted on a high poly bust with no uvs before i started to paint. I now want that texture. Everything i press just removes the current texture on my mesh and does not output any texture.

i have a mac.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    RawRanator wrote: »
    My friend is trying to export some texture thingy he did in zbrush with polypaint. His using a PC, zbrush 3.5. He says there has to be a way of doing it ... i dunno how to do it ... do you guys know?

1) Bring the mesh down to level 1 sub division.

2) create UVs

3) Bump the resolution back up to the max level.

4) Under the Texture tab that is right under UV tabs, Texture from Polypaint.

5) Clone the texture.

6) Under the texture menu click flip Vertically.

7) Export the texture.

Exporting the entire mesh with the texture is another process:

After you exported the texture do the following:

1) Under zbrush plugin, drop down the decimatation master.

2) enable the "keep borders" and "keep uvs."

3) Click, Pre-process current/ Pre-process all.

4) measure the percentage based on your expectations.

5) Decimate current / decimate all.

6) Export the mesh.

7) Import in 3ds max and apply the texture.

Xnormal is a free program that you can just download and it will save you many of these steps.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Old thread, but for the new question:
    I have a question. I painted on a high poly bust with no uvs before i started to paint. I now want that texture. Everything i press just removes the current texture on my mesh and does not output any texture.

All you need to do is give the mesh some UVs and you'll be able to bake the polypaint to them. What is most likely happening is that you've also created a new blank texture while clicking around, so as soon as you apply the UVs you end up seeing that texture instead of the polypaint. Turning the texture off in the Tools: Texture Map subpalette should have it display the polypaint again.

Instead give the tool some UVs under Tools: UV Map (GUVTiles will probably work fine), then under Tools:Texture Map you can do 'New from Polypaint'
  • uvmap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uvmap null
    Hello, i've ran into another problem with the texture- i have unwrapped my model with its' texture but when i try to export it as a jpg it brings me the texture i've imported in order to place on my model-how can i export the unwrapped texture? (the option new from polypaint in the texture map is unavaliable for me....)
    this what i want to export

this is what i get to export...
    what can i do?
    thank you...