Home General Discussion

Cintiq 21UX preview with multi-touch!

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    my review: freaking awesome.

wait.. that's not a revi.. GUH, multitouch !?
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's a preview, the multitouch model isn't in production yet.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    shit! my eye fell out!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Fixed my topic. :)
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I knew as soon as I bought a 21X I would get 1-UP'd
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    Zilk wrote: »
    I knew as soon as I bought a 21X I would get 1-UP'd

ditto haha. Oh well. I actually don't think being able to pinch zoom/rotate stuff with my left hand would speed up my workflow, i'd basically be taking my hand off all of my hotkeys which would probably just slow me down. It would be neat though.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Now make it a portable tablet pc.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I just bought a cintiq too, I am a sad puppy.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    haha. We just got the 21uxs at work. I get all boned up about the idea of mutlitouch. so much fucking utility. No more keyboard. This is huge. Scroll with one hand, paint with pen on the other? Excuse my chubby.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I dunno guys, don't you think that having a little multi touch screen on the side that you could control without looking at it, would be much better? Also photohsop would need a reskin to make the tools icons bigger, since at the moment they are not touch-screen friendly

I tried the pen+touch HP tablet PC last year, (basically the same product but smaller) and honestly it sucked. Can't remember if it was multi or single touch tho.

In any ways - this might be the greatest opportunity to develop Funkybar further (hint HINT at FunkyBunnies hehe)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    poir what are you suggesting? like leave the cintiq as it is but have a touch display instead of a keyboard for the rest of the commands at your side?

is there a way to make an iphone/pod/pad app that could assist the program like this? :)
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    multi touch is infinitely more interesting than single to me pior. It means i can actively be doing different interactions. Selecting new zb tool on left of screen never moving cursor. Just because photoshop is not friendly currently does not mean it is not an easy fix. multitouch is a giant step. It's hard for me to accept you saying that its not good cause the programs are lagging behind. =) Not all of them are going to lend themselves well to it anyway. I don't really want to work in max with a cintiq, but hell yes i want to sculpt all day on it. Right? Let the application developers wisen up when given sweet new tech I say!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    looks quite cool but how long would pixologic take to adopt their navigation to this - the usual three years?

and... looking forward to wacom shipping this with a touch-enabled marking menu then. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    oooh dont get me wrong I LOVE the idea and possibilities ! It's just that trying something similar didnt really sell the idea to me so far. Plus I know that Wacom tried pushing little apps/widgets based on oen flicks and gesture (with the bamboo black iirc) and it was clunky and unresponsive - something that UI reskins are likely to be too.

I guess I always keep my hopes really low regarding official UI improvements, or possible software updates in general. THey are always announced like the next big thing and hyped like mad by technically oriented folks, but for the end users its very often a disapointment, a bug ride, slowdowns ... look at CS4 and the Max ribbon. Because of that I am always looking for hardware solution possibly helping my work (LCD support arm, better mouse, and so on) rahter than hoping that software will catch up!

On the other hand, I would love Wacom to simply reskin their current popup menu shortcut holder into something much, much bigger and fluid, and make that touch friendlly. That would be awesome!

BTW bouch - no need to wait for that! It exists already. There is one dedicated to photoshop alone but it kinda sucks and is limited to 'popular' shortcut you dont need - but there is another one, letting you store any custom KB shortcut that you want. It works only over Wifi tho, not Blutooth, kinda sucks...

BTW, you are missing on something - try out Max with the 'Tique, you might like it!
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Also photohsop would need a reskin to make the tools icons bigger, since at the moment they are not touch-screen friendly

that's what they probably bring with cs5
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_xt5hgdYRA[/ame]
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Loving how the CS4 canvas rotate she demonstrates live is slow as fuck hehe. Funny too that the UI stuff they show is most likely driven by that new CS4 flash-based overhaul that every artist I know genuinely hates because it just made the whole program less responsive hehe.

But anyways, thats an old vid... who knows what can happen.

There is always this :
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/UM-720S-Screen-Powered-Swivel-Display/dp/B002QFP4Z8/[/ame]

and :
    http://www.mobileairmouse.com/overview.html

Theres another app lke this, specialized in custom KB shortcuts but I still have to dig it out!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    now if the multi touch cintiqs are sensitive to other objects besides the stylus, like fingers.. what happens if i like to work resting the palm/wrist of my stylus hand on the screen for stability, (As i do) would it read that as an imput an keep doin dumb stuff?

also even tho the canvas rotate is slow i like it, it bugs me havint to rotate my canvas in photoshop, then rotate it back before i save.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    pior wrote: »
    Loving how the CS4 canvas rotate she demonstrates live is slow as fuck hehe. Funny too that the UI stuff they show is most likely driven by that new CS4 flash-based overhaul that every artist I know genuinely hates because it just made the whole program less responsive hehe.

This is one thing I'll never understand about some programs.. we have our computers running faster, so ideally programs will be faster (like..an Operating System, for example), but then they go ahead and make the fucking program/system much more intensive, and it nullifies the entire fucking improvement to begin with. I hate it.

make your program fucking fast and reliable, I don't care if the icons animate, you dicks.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    well yeah that's always going to be the problem ... 90% of the userbase do care, and all they do is opening 800*600 jpgs ...
  • Chrisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chrisis polycounter lvl 10
    Current wacom products use a different technology, meaning the implication of multi-touch will lead either to: 1. decreased sensitivity of the product (if the screen becomes inductive on the surface) or 2. decreased performance of the product (if the two technologies have to trasmit data through a single usb cable). I have also observed dirtiness of the screen decreases the qulaty of interaction with such devices. Why someone would like to touch one directly is beyond me, especially cad users as shown in that video. Using an additional multi-touch device sounds like a good idea, though, like say people will be able to finally put their eyePads into a good use.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    If something is offscreen I want it to have tactile feel - no touchscreen stuff that I have to look at. That's my Nostromo n52. This multitouch screen will be completely awesome, you just have to wait for the software to catch up. Imagine being able to do some multitouch grabbing and squishing in Zbrush - gross scale manipulations. Or, some warping and liquify in Photoshop. Some cool stuff will come about.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    wheres the video gone? just some video for solidworks there now.

Also, since when did windows support multi touch? wouldn't this require an update to the operating system or is it just a case of drivers?

If it's just drivers, I want dual mouse input.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken: Since 7.
    Also, the Solidworks video *is the video. Just look at it, you'll see. It's not an official Wacom announcement, it's the touch-enabled Cintiq showing up in the video, probably as an attempt by the Solidworks creators to ride the buzz ;)