Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Malik

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
Hey all, I wanted to make something that could fit in a sci fi universe. Special thanks to Vitaly Bulgarov's Gnomon DVD which really helped me with proportions and hard surface stuff. Other inspirations were Blizzard's Marine Cinematic and Robotech. C&C always welcome.

malik_trial_1.jpg

Replies

• Grok5620
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man that looks pretty sweet. The only thing that catches my eye is the wrist and fingers. All the other joints have well thought out pivot points except the wrist which looks like it cant decide if its made of metal (and therefore rigid) or some kind of semi organic compound (and supple). The hand has four digits which iworks as you made the middle one wide enough for two fingers to fit, however it draws my eye because its unusual.

Any how great sculpt, keep it up.

Cheers
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I love the sense of weight, it's totally in line with this new mode of thinking I'm coming around to that I call "chunky tech". I'm considering the benfit of making parts of my model outright thicker in general. I have some crits, but they're nitpick at best. Nice post, nice work.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes!! wow amazing i love this character
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Epic, head seems sunken down a bit though.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Model looks great so far, and I think the design is pretty solid. Some of the crits I could give are just the general areas that need to be reworked for rigging. The wrist definitely, and are you planning on making the knee pad just follow the direction of the shin? Or wanting each half to parent to the thigh, leaving a crease in the middle? Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    pretty sweet dude.. get some textures on that thing.. go!
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ty for the comments so far and sry for the late post, I've been a little busy,

Grok5620: ty man, I tried reworking the wrist a little for additional movement.

PeterK: thx, I really wanted a good sense of weight for him, I'm glad it shows. :)

makecg: ty ty!

crazyfingers: I tried stretching or elongating the facial features a bit to try and correct the sunken feel.

Gallows: thx! I planned for the kneepad to follow the shin, maybe I could bolt it down on the bottom to convey that a bit better.

jmiles: ty, I dont know if I'll go into textures yet, frankly I want to start applying to more studios and that can be a full time job in itself :). I'll probably come back to him though.

I'll try and post wires soon.

malik_trial_2.jpg
    malik_back.jpg
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just tweaking stuff right now, here's some more pics and an hp wire.

malik_wire.jpg
    malik_side2.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Man I really like this character, Kinda reminds me of Legend of Dragoon, but a futuristic legend of dragoon.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Great job on this - it looks really good so far. Looks alot like Vitaly's Marine model and has a really cool style. Maybe this is just me, but I'm not exactly sure what those things attached to his back are - at the moment they seem slightly unnecessary and there because they look cool (which they do) - maybe some explanation on these will clear this up.
    Aside from that - the face looks great and definitely fits well into the model.
    Good job.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    A close of up the helmet should be your new avatar pic ;)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    holy shit dude. freakin amazing. cant wait to see some textures on that model!
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a break, but now I'm ready to finish this one. :)

tehrobster2: thx mang

paulsvoboda: ty, I think you're referring to the vents? Yea, my line of thinking was some exhaust port of some kind for the engine.

crazyfingers: thx yo, it was great meeting you at GDC!

roosterMAP: ty I'm excited to get texturing

Some pics: he stands at 20,000 polys with 2x2048 maps right now, shown with normal and ao

malik_normal.jpg

wire.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    man, very clean bake. what color scheme are you think of using?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    badass!!

I think the mesh is having some odd triangulation issues in areas, some edges look like they need turned - bunch on the boots, arms, some torso, head fins. I think you could go back and refine & sharpen up the highs, and reprocess out a normal for some parts around the knee, image:

squishybits.jpg

those two areas look a little soft, and like they didn't have their normals carried over as well as the rest of the model.

cool shit! cant wait to see it textured :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's pretty damn nice! :)
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy-crap-wow.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    awesome model man! why is the tri count so high, on the low poly?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20,000 tris but it looks like you have smoothing errors all over the place, what did you bake in, and what are you viewing in?
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fucking gnarly bake
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid: thx, I'm thinking of going a blue and tan color scheme, but with all kinds of dents and scratches.

moose: thanks man! Yea im noticing more bake errors as i go along, not sure how to fix em though. I'll definitely give what you said a try.

MoP: ty, ive been a fan of your work for a while now.

Mechadus: thx mang

raul: Yea I know i could shave it down a heck of a lot more but its a portfolio piece. I've done lower poly counts b4, on this one i sorta just went over the top.

EarthQuake: I baked it in xnormal ver 3.16 and I'm viewing it in 3ds max 2009. He's made up of 24 elements, head, torso shoulderpad, etc with autosmoothed polygroups at 45. Just learning as I go so any tips would be awesome.

achillesian: ty
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    well, im new to lp to be honest. but i was taught that when doing folio pieces. it is more impressive to go lower on the count. 20k...im crunching tris on your mesh with my eyes! lol. the high poly looks super awesome tho!
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    Fantastic highpoly work! The low poly could use some love. One spot that you could reduce is the hinge on the wing. All those inner circles could be collapsed into a one point. I could see why you might keep like one extrusion or bevel inward. I understand it's a portfolio piece so in doing this, it would save some texture space for better resolution! and as a bonus it could be easier to unwrap and fit. Then take those tris and put them back into the outer silhouette.
    Try baking with 1 smoothing group over the entire mesh and keep one smoothing. Have you tried the 3pointshader . Use the high quality normals modifier and never suffer in the max viewport again! I'm not sure if it fixes xnormal bakes or if xnormal needs the modifier fix but I do know it will correct xnormal photoshop plugin normals.
    Hope this helps!
    -Phil
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Rory, even though it is for a your portfolio, you can definitely get the same result without the level of polycount you are at currently. I would suggest taking some more time, reduce and fix some of the casting problems people are seeing and come out with a more impressive portfolio piece. I personally ask this of all my students, as someone who reviews portfolio's I am more impressed with a student understanding what each piece needs poly wise, without going through the roof. As 20,000 is like having a 4096 texture on it, when a 2048 will suffice. Good work, and looking forward to any updates.

Spark
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul: thx raul, im starting to change my mind about it. :)

phillip.bailey: no i haven't tried that shader, thx for the link. I'm excited to check it out. Also ty for the tips, they are most appreciated.

Spark: Agreed. I'll see what I can do.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Really cool character man. I like it a lot. Can't wait to see where you take it from here with the texture :)

The only crit I can offer, which I guess is a bit too late in the process, is that the wings seem a bit on the small side to me. With how big he is, and how he probably weighs a ton, they'll need to be much bigger I think in order to support that weight.

Good stuff man
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Really cool, man! Keep at it! :D
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87: thx man, i'm trying not to lose my steam.

Bigjohn: ty, I dig your clansman alot too! The anatomy is just awesome on that guy. The wings here were more to help with gliding than actually lifting him up into the air, while the jet engines would handle that job.

ok hes at 21ktris now instead of quads, i know that's still alot but i'm gonna go ahead and move forward. Started texturing and settled on a color scheme i like. Still a ways to go.

malik_text1.jpg
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so i thought I had settled on a color scheme but ended up on a red one. Still hafta grunge up the bottom and metal parts, as well as work on a spec, but here's where i am.

red_scheme.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Sexy.......looking forward to the speculars :)
  • Flow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The read is Really cool !! Good work !
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    when metal scratches, is becomes shiner. fix that in your spec.

amazing work!
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib: thx man!

Flow: thx, i was hoping for that.

roosterMAP: tried to push the scratches a bit, hope ya like.

think i might be done.

test1.jpg
    side1.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looking really cool man, Nicely done! You have a neat style.

I did like the blue version more though, but that's just personal preference.

Now, since this is a portfolio piece, make sure you take time working out presentation sheets. That is seriously important, can't wait to see what you come up with!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    That's one beefy mofo!

Good job so far, keep up!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good! But i wouldn't call it done quite yet.

I did a quick test in PS with levels and wow can that guy look way better than what you have rendered. There is hardly any contrast in those renders. I'd bump up the darkness on the paint colors and darken the metal color. Crank up the contrast on the spec map so that the metal bits really can shine and show what they are made of. This guy can look amazing if you let the details that you have made pop more.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with thegodzero, you can really add a difference between the metal and the dirt and make things pop. Even some deeper color in the face can help. Also, a good way to make work stand out is a nice glow effect in ps, and I see 4 areas that can utilize it. It's a good way to break up things up and create points of interest.

tepng.png
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I didn't post sooner but I've been unexpectedly busy lately, but felt good to come back to this

BradMyers82: thx! I'm not sure what to do for a presentation actually. Always thought less was more but I'll see what I can cook up.

[HP]: thx I wanted him to look right at home smoking cigars if need be.

Thegodzero: after i read your post I went back and tried to bring more contrast to the maps. Great tips btw ty.

Moosey_G: I tried to put more glowy stuff in his armor and i feel like it did create more points of interest, ty. Also i put more silver on his legs to try and break up the red.

rightroundv2.jpg
  • nightz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno if its just me but i get the impression that he is floating over the ground.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the model is. Doesn't look to be quite touching the floor mesh.
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoops, thx guys. :) I did a quick edit and it should look better now.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Looks fine to me now, so I'm assuming the problem is solved, but damn man. I've been watching this one since the get go and I've gotta say I'm impressed. One thing I'd do is either use a brighter red or maroon, or vice versa with the tan trim. But that'd be more personal preference than a critique. Great work dude.
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good stuff rory
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    you still need to work on the speculars more 55joe.... make it more shiny!! push those speculars to really bring about the material differentiation
    maybe go about a gloss and reflectivity map aswell
  • mestophales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mestophales polycounter lvl 7
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking great, but something about the colors still doesn't feel right.