Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mirrors Edge Low Poly

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
Bout time to make a thread of its own here.

Started showing some stuff off in the what are you working on thread earlier this month, finally just about got the first level wrapped up and gameplay is starting to take shape.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3-1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

All built in unity, Most texture sizes are 128x128 with none exceeding 256x256 (except for lightmaps, still working on getting those to look nice at a reasonable size, rite now they all sit around 512-1024)

Once again, much thanks to Zwebbie for his awesome character model.

Next big step is to take care of the background buildings, and get some better building exterior textures in there

Replies

• Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It looks awesome very accurate, I'm playing the game at the moment.

Are going to emulate the gameplay?, just dont emulate the combat if you do.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the comment.
    Rite now the gameplay is focused on simple multiplayer time trials and vs. mode intel grabbing, so i havnt really even thought about combat.

I'm no programmer tho, so this is a learning process, the ease of unity definitely helps. So far i've got quite a few features working
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Good to see this taking shape. Unity can be a lot of fun (you know it has bloom shaders right?)

One thing I would say is that the environment is not exactly low poly. You appear to have fully modelled railings and chimneys and so on.

Maybe it would be best, now that you are using an engine, to set yourself a tris limit for the viewport and stick to it. Try and imagine what platform the game will run on and look into the specs you can get away with. Unity is very friendly in this respect and has some features for telling you when there are too many tris in the scene, what textures will look to pixelated and so on.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Nice! Looking really good at this point. I think the panel divisions seem a bit dark/contrasty at the moment, though; maybe tone those down a bit.

I should really get around to finishing up the Celeste texture and throw that your way so you have a runner to evade the cops. :p

[edit]Did some touchup and mesh tweaking. Calling it done for now. Sorry bout the UVs, they're a bit sloppy.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/778345/me-celeste.zip
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    thanks a lot guys

Hawken: You're absolutely rite about the railings and pipes, those can definitely be toned down, i wasnt thinking too clearly just how much i'd be reusing those particular props. In the end it'l just be a standalone release for pc/mac but i want to stick with handheld specs for portfolio sake. I thought bloom was for pro only? that'd be sick if i could get that in there

Lotekk, Looks awesome! thanks a lot.
    When you say the panel divisions look too dark, do you mean the ones for the facade of the actual buildings or the ones on the rooftop buildings? or both?

Edit:
    Some textures and props

MirrorsEdgeProps2Wire.jpg
    MirrorsEdgeProps2.jpg

MirrorsEdgeProps1Wire.jpg
    MirrorsEdgeProps1-1.jpg

MirrorsEdgePropsTextures1.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    great project, looks pretty great so far :)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mainly the rooftop buildings. Up close the divisions look ok, but at medium distance they're creating a fair bit of visual noise. It's not too bad in some of the shots, but it's pretty noisy in the shot of the C-P building. Though to be fair, it's a lot less evident with the pics at full size, rather than the aliased reductions that the forum defaults to (sorry, I'd forgotten about that when I made my initial comment :p)

Before I forget: love the prop work. :D
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it man!
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks a lot guys

Lotekk: i'm gonna try playing around with the darks/lights a bit tomorrow see if i can get it a bit more uniform, had to take a break from it today so i could rig your model and get on some animations
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looking gorgeous!!

I might have missed it in the previous posts - what did you render the color bleeding bounces with? Looking so great in that 4th screenshot!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This is right up my alley. Really enjoy the work here. Though it seems the darks (the outter glow on the text and logos) of the banners and signs make those materials appear dirty and pixelated.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    you could downsize the lightmaps with vertexcolors for the general lighting (nothing special just dimming down and such a fuck)+ shadowmap with polys rotated so that the shadow appears straight in the map + importance scale
    (flat plane without shading gets one pixel)
    and overlapping
    but thats a lot of hard work

you could also make a lightmap tileset and fake the lighting with smart mapping

i would consider writing a tool, that scales the lightmap sections given the frequency appearing on it
    (like change from onte to another pixel saved and added to the whole, the whole finished vareable is the index for the amount of frequency in the section, if its 0, it gets 0 space (1 dot) otherwise you scale down the rest procentural of the field with the highest frequency (which is actual size) and then pack the uvmap again, so you have frequency aware lightmapping
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Pior: Thanks man, means a lot coming from you. Everything was rendered inside of maya using mental ray. I started with a base of physical sun and sky and added point lights where i wanted more bounce, then did two passes for each map, one for light and color and the other for global illumination. Then i adjusted and did a composite in photoshop until i had something looking alright.

Cholden: Thanks a lot for the feedback. I was noticing that too especially on the green and yellow banners, i'm gonna have to work that a bit. It just wasnt popping on the somewhat light colored background of the banner.

Arrangemonk: Thanks for the ideas, a bit of that flew over my head, but then again i've only been awake for about 30 minutes so i'l get back to that heheheh
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    Overall it's looking great, really nice work with this one :P

One thing jumped at me though... and I understand why you did it... but... I might rethink it.

GhostPipes.png

I'd cap the bigger cylinders there, the smaller ones won't ever be seen, but if the camera is going to be seeing the bottoms of the biggers ones then... I'd cap it.

The only other thing that really jumped out at me was the giant red tarp things... (also seen in that picture) the resolution of that texture for how big it is just doesn't cut it IMO.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Jimmy94: Thanks for the comment
    The whole scene is around 20k with players and accesories, but most of the time the onscreen count is around 2k

LlamaJuice:
    Yeah i noticed that after i took the shots. That was one of the first props i did and i still wasnt sure how i was going to be handling the camera angle so that will be touched up in the coming days. As for the tarp, if i have time i'l redo that at a higher resolution, Thanks for the crits

Finally got around to finishing up the weights on LoTekK's awesome model. And today i threw together the messenger bag wich will be used for one of the game modes

CelesteWithBag2.jpg

Trying to get most of the essential background stuff wrapped up by wednesday so i can call this quits for a bit while i work on some other pieces for my portfolio
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay! Can't wait to see this running. :D

Uh, no pun intended, honest.
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh I loved mirrors edge, you've captured the feel brilliantly!

As there's already been a lot of great crits I won't bother repeating those but I hope you get round to the skydome for it next so the next set of shots have a background! :)
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks guys

Carlo_C :
    Yep, got most of the background blocked in, expect an update soon as soon i get some other things wrapped up
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super sweet work MikeF!
    Any chance for a gameplay prototype?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    jimmy: i'm pretty busy rite now, but PM the details of what you'd need exactly and i'l see if i can help you out

StJoris: Thanks man, gameplay is very basic rite now, so it may be a couple months before i release something that i'd want others to play, but we'l get there eventually!
  • federer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work!! Can I get that level plzzz? [I have N95 8GB,Jimmy94 says that he can run that on N82.]
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Back at this with some new shots that are going in the portfolio. Gameplay is starting to take shape, might have a playable version for download in the very near future

ME-1s.jpg

ME-2s.jpg

ME-3s.jpg

ME-4s.jpg

ME-5s.jpg

ME-6s.jpg

ME-7sB.jpg

Thanks again to Zwebbie & LoTekK for the great player models, couldn't do it with out you guys!
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work indeed Mike.

When you say 2000, is that 2000 before or after backface culling, ie 2000 on screen or 2000 rendered.

What's interesting, is with these polycounts (20000 per level and 2000 per frame) my Flash 3D engine could handle this level ;)

What are the poly counts per character?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the comments rumblesushi
    At this point its gone a bit beyond 2000, i cant really say off the top of my head what it's at, but i'd wager it to run a bit slower on a flash engine.
    I believe both players sit just under 500 tris
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Holy cow on a basketball court thats awesome :D
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments rumblesushi
    At this point its gone a bit beyond 2000, i cant really say off the top of my head what it's at, but i'd wager it to run a bit slower on a flash engine.
    I believe both players sit just under 500 tris

No doubt - Flash isn't even close to the speed of Unity, because it's 100% software (and basically, isn't designed to do 3D), I was actually curious though, because your poly counts are closer to what's achievable in my 3D engine - which has DS/N64 capabilities.

I was wondering why you were aiming for such a low poly count though, as it seems unity is capable of pushing far more polygons. For the challenge/stylistic choice? Or to make sure it ran fast on any machine?

From the Unity demos I've tried so far, the performance is strange. The Unity team's island demo runs brilliantly, as do the other first party demos, but some of the other 3rd party demos I've tried run ridiculously slow on my laptop. I'm not sure whether it's some horrendously bad programming, or possibly using shaders that are beyond the capabilities of my GPU.

Either way I'm interested to see your game in action ;)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Veeeeeerrrrryyyy very nice man, great work!
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks a lot guys, glad you like it
    rumblesushi, this all started out just to see if i could translate a piece of mirrors edge concept art to hand held specs, this was the result:
    ME-IndoorScene.jpg
    I was having a lot of fun keeping it low, so i just kinda kept the same theme when i moved on to the outdoor environment
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, U know they are doing the official Iphone game or is this it?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtAtk-Vwljc&NR=1"]Check it out here. [/ame]
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice work looking so good
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    thanks snowman
    ikuru, someone here had pointed that one out to me shortly after i started working on this, its not the same tho, mines just a fan made prototype kinda deal. Mine's a bit more free roaming instead of just a side scroller
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    sorry jimmy, i just dont have the time rite now, really busy with getting my portfolio online
  • onedayitwillmake
    Hi has Any work been done on this as of late?
    I'd love to see the results, I stumbled onto this by accident and made an account just for this thread!

Looks great!

I'm currently working on a similar-ish game idea, however I'm not an artist so I'd love to get my hands on those pre-baked textures if they're not in use!

It's an HTML5 webgl/javascript game using 2D physics (Box2D) rendered in 3D:
    5900437294_b7bcccb8ab_b.jpg
    5914804072_b1221cd993_b.jpg

HelloWorld playable level here:
    http://onedayitwillmake.com/ChuClone/dev

Let me know if that's an option - or if there's anyone interested in collaborating on this project send me a PM.

PS: Sorry for the slight spam of a first post!