Home General Discussion

fixing a psp

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
hey so i know polycount is not my flob but... mgs peacwalker is coming!!! >:{ (and people have talked psp stuff here before, right?)

my psp isn't charging anymore... not a battery problem as i've tried 3 different ones. I hear if you plug it in with some different voltage 'thing' it can mess it up. I don't remember that ever happening but seems like it could've somewhere in europe when i was there (different outlets or somthing?)

Anyone had this problem before and know how to fix it, or is this one of those times when i have to send it off to the evil sony overlords?

Replies

• Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    do you have custom firmware on it? you might have bricked it
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    If you've always used the same charger for it, even over seas it should be fine. Those sort of charges are usually voltage auto sensing. If you where using a generic charger, then maybe that could have caused it but it would have to put out a lot more voltage for anything drastic to hapen.

It could just be a dry joint in the PSP D/C plug. If you plug it in and push the plug around in different directions does the battery light come on? If this is the case its just a matter of opening the thing up and re-soldering the conections on the main board.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i do have cfw on it but it's been like that for about 2 years or so, figured if it was going to brick it would've done so before now.

Oh and it was working fine while one of my other batteries still had charge in it but after that ran out... kinda boned :(

edit: cheers flying monk. Been sticking with the stock charger it came with since forever. Tried wiggling it around a decent amount but no luck with the lights (it's a psp slim btw, none of the regular sony batteries or other brand psp slim batteries are charging so i got a feeling it's defo the charger or bit the the charger goes into on the thing)

double edit: just stole a battery from a friend and everything still seems to work (his still charges -_-) except the orange light won't turn on and it's defo not charging... ac adapter 'looks' alright from the outside (i'm pretty careful with my stuff) but dunno... i guess i should try borrowing a different ac adapter and trying that out
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well if it isn't the battery, and isn't the AC adapter, then you'll probably out of luck and will have to send it back to Sony. Even if you bricked it the recovery menu should still be accessable (hold L+R while the psp boots I think was how it was done), but thats probably not the problem sense the firmware has very little to do with charging other then to monitor it.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    have you tried charging it per usb?
    (if it works you need to charge it before the battery runs out everytime, because usb charging only works when connected to usb i think)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woo, cheers arrangemonkey... too late for most of my batteries which is a bummer (have to go under settings, then usb connection for it to start charging/register connection, yeah)

but still cool to be able to get back to my game of disgaea from 4 months ago :) (for now at least)...
    gonna go hunt down a fresh ac adapter cable in the morning and see if that works (no idea if any stores would actually sell them individually tho)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    dude seriously, having ac adaptors in all forms is esentially, (you just need an ac adaptor with the same specification, usually 5V 400mAh or something like that, its written on your ac adaptor)
    you can buy them for few bucks on amazon too
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you need something fixed, hit up craigslist. There are people who fix consoles, handhelds, 360 RROD, all that stuff...
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Might sound really obvious but this happened to a friend of mine check your psp charger plug and see if the end of the plug that is yellow got stuck in your psp.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers dudes. The ac adaptor was all in one peice but apparently it's just past it's prime or somthing like that. Found a multi charging thing down at jbhifi for about $15 tho and it seems to be charging stuff :)

so now i can charge my psp, ipod and my non-existant ds all at once... onto the really hard part, waiting for the new mgs to come out :poly122:
    (gonna go make my own version of big boss in the meantime... complete with lovebox :3)